Fallout 4

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
All these spoiler tags... guess it's time to suck it up and finally talk to this valentine dude.

I know I will get side tracked, but out of curiosity how many hours is the main story roughly? Comparable to Skyrims?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You get nothing unless you do 25% of the damage. Console command or mod can alter that, but setting it to 0% so you get xp from things they solo doesn't seem to be possible. You will always have to do at least 1 point of damage.
Does the dmg done by 'charmed' (wasteland whisperer etc) MOBs count towards the player's damage?

If not it's pretty much settled that I'm trading this game in after my first complete play through. I wanted to do heavy CHA/END/INT companion+Unarmed tanky play through next... No point if it's not viable.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So far my Survivalist melee character is having an easier time than my Hard Sneak/Sniper character

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I had my wife play the first 30 mins or so and I forgot about the roaches in the first vault. She freaks out at even a picture of roaches let alone the real thing so when they started chasing her in game she was screaming and yelling shit shit shit! It was hilarious and I regret not recording it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Does the dmg done by 'charmed' (wasteland whisperer etc) MOBs count towards the player's damage?

If not it's pretty much settled that I'm trading this game in after my first complete play through. I wanted to do heavy CHA/END/INT companion+Unarmed tanky play through next... No point if it's not viable.
I highly doubt anything but your own attacks counts towards the damage threshold for XP. Wouldn't unarmed + CH shit be kind of a pain anyway? I mean, you need to aim a gun at the thing to 'charm' it.

Tenks

I had my wife play the first 30 mins or so and I forgot about the roaches in the first vault. She freaks out at even a picture of roaches let alone the real thing so when they started chasing her in game she was yelling screaming and yelling shit shit shit! It was hilarious and I regret not recording it.
I encountered my first legendary radroach yesterday. I was actually somewhat shocked they could spawn legendary. It got one-shot in VATS :/

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I highly doubt anything but your own attacks counts towards the damage threshold for XP. Wouldn't unarmed + CH shit be kind of a pain anyway? I mean, you need to aim a gun at the thing to 'charm' it.
Wait... is the language specifically 'gun' and not 'weapon'? Do fists not count?

God damn.

Vorph

So far my Survivalist melee character is having an easier time than my Hard Sneak/Sniper character
Did you rush to get a particular weapon? I had intended to pick up Grognak's Axe very early but I found a serrated chinese sword that does more damage for sale at a shop in Diamond City that should last me until I can get Pickman's Blade.

Even so, any fight with multiple spread out enemies requires me to use chems to survive, while I never used a single chem other than Grape Mentats on my rifle character.

Wait... is the language specifically 'gun' and not 'weapon'? Do fists not count?

God damn.
Yeah, it specifically says "With your gun, aim at any..." I'm pretty sure it's aiming down sights that triggers the effect, not just pointing at it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Thanks everyone for the advice, that helps a lot (Faith, Kedwyn, Sulrn, etc don't think I missed anyone but if I did thanks!)

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
I encountered my first legendary radroach yesterday. I was actually somewhat shocked they could spawn legendary. It got one-shot in VATS :/
It's kinda funny to kill a legendary radroach or bloatfly or whatever and have it drop something like a laser musket.

Took a long break from the game since Thursday because rl, can't wait to dig myself in again. It has been some time since i had a gaming experience that resembled that old-school addictive feeling and FO4 delivered that (the last games that managed to do that to me were Kerbal Space Program and M&M X).

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think next time I'm going to do a full str melee build with 1 int and idiot savant. Retard strong!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'll be doing that next playthrough as well. That sounds like a ton of fun.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
So I guess I'm fucked on the Railroad quest line until there's a patch. Boston After Dark won't register that I've "secured the rendezvous point" even though I killed the raiders. Tried reloading an old save multiple times and it happens every time. On PS4 so I can't force the quest to complete either. Hopefully this shit gets patched.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Patch went out this morning for pc, dunno what all it addresses but I imagine it'll be hitting consoles in the next day or so.

Yep:

Beta Update 1.2.33
New Features
Number pad keys can now be used for remapping
Remapping Activate now works on Quick Container
Fixes
General memory and stability improvements
Fixed issue where equipped weapons become locked after completing Reunions
Fixed issue with When Freedom Calls where the quest would not complete
During Confidence Man, fixed issue where player's health would continuously regenerate
Fixed crash related to jumping into water and reloading saved games
Fixed issue where Launcher would not save God Rays Quality setting properly

Tenks

Did you rush to get a particular weapon? I had intended to pick up Grognak's Axe very early but I found a serrated chinese sword that does more damage for sale at a shop in Diamond City that should last me until I can get Pickman's Blade.
No. Like I said previously I got somewhat lucky and a generic raider in the starting museum dropped a bladed tire iron which lasted me for a while until now where I'm using a bladed aluminum bat. I've gotten pretty unlucky that the legendary melee weapon drops so far have been low tier (boards and wrenches) so I'm just using a generic bat.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Keep plot spoilersi n spoiler tags until Dec 10th's please. I haven't been strong on moderation because I've been mostly skimming the offending posts.

As much as I don't want to make the game easier, is anyone working on a mod to make critical hits useful outside VATS? (ex: how they were in fo3)

Sulrn

Deuces
Quest line isn't very long. Skyrim would be a fair comparison.

For Boston After Dark, after you clear it do you sit in a pew and wait? Or does it fail to trigger even if you wait?

Vorph

I think next time I'm going to do a full str melee build with 1 int and idiot savant. Retard strong!
I almost restarted my melee character to do that. I feel like I could easily do without Hacking (can save scum with Nick if you really need to get past one), but not having Science seems like a problem. Plus my rifle character was like level 50 before I even finished act 1 of the story, and I still have a ton of sidequests left to do. I'll be surprised if I'm not pushing level 80 by the time I finish the game at this rate. Does anyone really need more xp than that from Idiot Savant? I wouldn't save scum the quest turn-ins, but still... it just seems excessive. Especially on a melee build where you already have less required perks to take.

Full strength is definitely good though. I only started with 3, but intend to raise it to 10 with perks in the late 30's/mid 40's. It's +10% melee damage per point. You can get up to +7 more from gear too, though +6 is more realistic because it's never worth wearing a legendary helmet over a ballistic weave hat.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Quest line isn't very long. Skyrim would be a fair comparison.

For Boston After Dark, after you clear it do you sit in a pew and wait? Or does it fail to trigger even if you wait?
Yeah, I've tried sitting in the pew and waiting. Tried fast traveling away, coming back, going into building zones and returning, even dragged the raider corpses out of the church, nothing works. The quest still says to secure the rendezvous point, so I'm assuming it's not registering that I've killed the raiders for some reason. I thought maybe one was stuck under the world, but I killed two and that's all I've read that there is.