Fallout 4

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is there a go-to workaround for the insane loading times with larger savegames aside from defrag etc?
Not that I've ever heard of, it's just something you have to deal with in Gamebryo. My saves are up over 12MB now, fresh game is a little under 3MB.

Part of the problem is that a fuckton of corpses never decay. It's not even just named NPC corpses either, I see random raiders and shit that I killed weeks (in game-time) ago. When I come across these, I open the console, click the corpse, and type "disable". Useful for getting rid of corpses after you liberate a settlement too.

Just be aware only the first swing is a guarantee stun.
frown.png
Yeah, that's why I favor heated over stunning. Stunning isn't terrible though, since most things will die before the stun ends anyway. For me it comes down to which mod I find on a vendor/loot drop super sledge, since I would never take Blacksmith perks even on a melee-only character.

kevincheese

Lord Nagafen Raider
Part of the problem is that a fuckton of corpses never decay. It's not even just named NPC corpses either, I see random raiders and shit that I killed weeks (in game-time) ago. When I come across these, I open the console, click the corpse, and type "disable". Useful for getting rid of corpses after you liberate a settlement too.
Corpses are weird in this game. Sometimes I'll continue to see empty ones left for a long time, and other times I've had to leave during a quest, come back 5 minutes later, and all the corpses with loot are already gone. Frustrating to lose legendary drops that way.

Sulrn

Deuces
Pretty sure it just comes down to whether or not an area is a respawnable cell or not. Being stuck with bodies at the Castle/Sanctuary bridge the entire game was a little immersion breaking with how active and large the wildlife is.

Although, I'll certainly try that artillery stunt if I have another corpse issue.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My load times are pretty bad from the get-go. I really need to get an SSD instead of this ancient HDD.
SSDs are a game changer. The single best/most noticeable upgrade I've ever made to my PC since 3D-accelerated video cards first came to market 20 years ago(I miss my 4mb 3DFX Voodoo1).

I'm sure my save file is pretty large, I'm about 40 hours in with tons of custom settlements built up (probably 8 settlements with 15+ population) and while my initial game load when I start takes maybe 15-20 seconds, re-loads of autosaves only take maybe 5 seconds. I have a feeling my boot-up load time is only that long because I have about 10 mods too(some graphic related)

SSD is a game changer, especially for something where you can get a good one for less than $100.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah maybe during my winter vacation I'll upgrade my machine to a 1TB SDD. I don't really have anything on my computer anyways that is dire I need to move over so I may just start with a fresh install.

Vorph

He's right about a lot of it, yeah. I still feel that having a voiced protagonist is worth the tradeoffs though. I think the new SPECIAL/Perk system works better than the old system's skills did too. Everyone just wound up with 100 in every skill long before the end of the game anyway. Traits are about the only thing I miss at all.

Tenks

That review seems very fair and accurate. Fo4 is all about combat more so than 3 and NV. However I feel leveling is more meaningful in Fo4 compared to 3/NV. The biggest difference is you can't be chaotic evil in FO4. It seems at best you can be chaotic good and at worse neutral good.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I pointed out that the watered down mass effect style dialogue choices would be a negative move days before the title even came out.

I also pointed out that the game would suffer from all the same flaws that all previous bethesda titles aince morrowind have suffered from.

I also said it wouldnt matter, the game would still be enjoyable enough that people would look past those flaws.

Ive said repeatedly that the problem with voice acting is it is expensive and too limiting which drives cost oriented development to cut corners. Planescape had vast sweeping dialogue trees where what you said really had impact on how the game played out.

This is something anyone can see.

I dont particularly favor voiced dialogue and the mass effect good/neutral/kinda bad/smarmy dialogue wheels, and dont particularly like a voice main character for exactly these reasons.

Game is still a blockbuster title that soaked up more time from most people the past two weeks than any other game this year except maybe witcher 3.

For a 5.71 million dollar purchase on bethesdas part in 2003ish, fallout has been nothing but windfall profits, and a massive unparalleled success story.

Saying Bethesda era fallouts are good games but bad rpgs is like 7 years late complaint. Rpg aspects get watered down in the move to modern gaming models with fully voiced dialogues etc. This has been the case across the board for closing on 20 years now.

The days of attenpting to truly emulate tabletop games as anything but a niche of a niche market are gone, for better or worse.

Tenks

FarCry wishes it sniffed how good FO4's taint is. FO4 may have missed some of the more open-ended CRPG aspects that make Fallout Fallout but it didn't completely miss the mark on the heart of the franchise. At least not in my opinion. And that is coming from someone who almost always plays FO games as an evil character. Yes I'm the guy who nuked Megaton my first playthrough. I'm the guy who joined the Romans in NV my first playthrough. If I could I probably would have slaughtered Preston and fucked the Minutemen in the ass (can you?) instead of helping them. But overall these "evil" choice always lead to a very shallow and quick playthrough of the games. The "good" side is almost always more fleshed out. This time they just completely focused on that side.

Vorph

The first attempt at a consolidated bugfix mod is up:Simple Bug Fixes at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community

It's being updated pretty quickly with new stuff. I suggested the Curie perk fix this morning since I didn't feel like uploading a mod of my own to just do that and it's already in there.

List of fixes thus far:
Big Leagues 5 now gives its damage bonus correctly.
Curie now has the sneak perks every other companion in the game has.
Idiot Savant 3 now works at Int 5 and is no longer twice as effective at Int 6.
Iron Fist 5 will let you do an unarmed critical hit in power armor, but it won't paralyze. (Can't fully fix.)
Killshot reduced from 2000% to 20% accuracy bonus.
Lone Wanderer no longer works with Dogmeat. (Separate file as to not ruin character builds)
Ninja 1, 2, & 3 now work correctly with 2-Handed Melee weapons and Unarmed attacks.
Yao Guai Roast now only gives +10% melee damage instead of +500%. (Tooltip will be wrong)
I wonder if Bethesda will keep with tradition and never fix that Ninja bug in any of the future patches. Pretty pissed that there's so many bugs with melee stuff, since I was doing that build on my PS4 and it's pretty pointless to continue if I can't take Big Leagues 5 or properly use Ninja on the console version.

----------------------

Unrelated, but there's also this mod here --Armor Modifications Expanded at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community-- which is a good idea, but the guy felt the need to expand his mod far into cheat territory without providing a version of it without all the cheater effects. I've taken it and edited out all that shit and just left behind the ability to add Ballistic Weave mods to clothing/outfit/hat items that make sense. The vanilla system looks like something Ted the Intern started work on, got maybe a third of the way through it, and then never bothered to look at again. Why the fuck can I mod a "battered" fedora but not a dirty, worn, crumpled, or yellow one? Why can I mod a baseball uniform or army/military fatigues but not a baseball hat or military cap? The whole thing makes no sense whatsoever.

Still testing it to make sure I didn't break anything while editing close to 100 records, but if anyone wants my version let me know. I'm probably not going to post it to Nexus, but I can dump it onto my dropbox if someone wants to use it.

Tenks

Also why are the followers so judgmental? If I want to take these drugs I'm taking these drugs. If I want to loot every Hot Plate in sight I'm looting every Hot Plate in sight. If I want to eat every corpse I've left on the field I'm eating every corpse. No need to judge this wastelander.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, Bethesda is basically making their own version of FarCry at this point. And while that is a completely fair endeavor to undertake, it pisses me off that they are attaching the Fallout IP to it.
The thing is, Interplay had already taken the rpg out of the game, and watered it down, shat out a stinker for consoles, and then essentially abandoned the ip to rot.

Weighed against the universe is dead in the water and the last fallout game was brotherhood of shit (which defecated on the canon more so than anything bethesda has done thus far) what we have is preferable.

I dont disagree with your sentiments in entirety, but some fallout is better than interplays final years with the franchise

Also thanks to bethesda we did get a fairly true sequel to fallout 2 in new vegas.

Vorph

Yeah, I really don't feel like raising all the damn followers just to get their perks. To do it quickly, at least with the ones that 'like' stuff like lockpicking, hacking, stealing, etc., you end up quicksaving and reloading before each action in order to reset the cooldown on getting the affinity. I couldn't take listening to Codsworth anymore and just opened the console and did a modav CA_affinity 250 on him, did a conversation, then rinsed and repeated until he was maxed out. (Max is 1000, conversations happen every 250.) The alternative was doing the save/load thing while painting my power armor over and over, but even "Codsworth loved that." is only worth +15 affinity and I would have had to do it like 50 times.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Nice, i think i need to order one of those SSDs.. that price is hard to pass up.

Now go find me a GTX 970 on sale~