Fallout 76

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
This looks alright to me *shrugs*

TBH the story was the worst part of Fallout 3. I found myself wanting a multiplayer version without the story.
If optimized this seems to be just that....

I'll reserve judgement till closer to a beta.

Caliane

yeah. I was pretty vocal that the base building was my favorite part of fo4. and I wanted more of that. more sim elements. Survival mode good as well.

the problems I see here, are the same problems every survival game to date has. Pve vs pvp is untenable in every one of them. the rulesets are shit. the tools given to players are shit. Money/time is split between making a barebones FFA pvp battleground, and a barebones pve survival game. And then neither has any staying power.

Need to say fuck it, and just make a co-op pve survival game. I like pvp too. but it just won't work without 5 more years and millions of dollars more of dev time, that no one can afford to spend. And, there are plenty of pvp battleground games. why would I play this for pvp, when I can just go play fortnite or something?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
yeah. I was pretty vocal that the base building was my favorite part of fo4. and I wanted more of that. more sim elements. Survival mode good as well.

the problems I see here, are the same problems every survival game to date has. Pve vs pvp is untenable in every one of them. the rulesets are shit. the tools given to players are shit. Money/time is split between making a barebones FFA pvp battleground, and a barebones pve survival game. And then neither has any staying power.

Need to say fuck it, and just make a co-op pve survival game. I like pvp too. but it just won't work without 5 more years and millions of dollars more of dev time, that no one can afford to spend. And, there are plenty of pvp battleground games. why would I play this for pvp, when I can just go play fortnite or something?
Check out New World in MMO if you haven’t. Seems like they’re spending the time and cash on a PvP survival game.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I never really experienced much in the way of issues with FO4.

it was good canned fun but they really fucked themselves letting New Vegas exist. It set the bar soooo high for what fallout could be that unless they try to meet or exceed it, nothing will ever compare, but with the gaming landscape nowadays it's simple math to realize it's just not worth the effort.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
FO4 was a great raider-shooting action game, but a terrible Fallout roleplaying game. I'm not sure what more I can say about it. Mileage may vary and all that.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
it was good canned fun but they really fucked themselves letting New Vegas exist. It set the bar soooo high for what fallout could be that unless they try to meet or exceed it, nothing will ever compare, but with the gaming landscape nowadays it's simple math to realize it's just not worth the effort.
I never played FO3 or New Vegas. Is that something I could add high resolution textures to at high resolution and go back and enjoy today?

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I never played FO3 or New Vegas. Is that something I could add high resolution textures to at high resolution and go back and enjoy today?

I think yes to both, but honestly if you're going to do that play 3 first then NV. 3 won't be nearly as fun if you do NV first. Or just do NV and understand the main games are just not that game.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I did play virtually every path in FO4 (for and against Brotherhood, Institute, Settlers, Underground Railroad, etc). Loved the stories, not so much the game play. Was probably too easy to cheese to the point where I was basically one or two shot sniping like I did in Skyrim (infinite escalation of enchanting an item vs stacking all the correct SPECIAL talents and consumables in FO).

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Playing FO3 late burned me on NV, because I immediately went to NV and was too similar to FO3 and at that point I was burned out

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shame because NV is a goddamn masterpiece compared to FO3, especially the DLC.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I thought NV was going to suck and it ended up.being my favorite of the 3d fallouts

• 2Like

Fadaar

That guy
New Vegas wasn't done by Bethesda either don't forget. Pretty sure they're still mad that Obsidian made a far superior product in what was supposed to just be an offshoot game.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
New Vegas wasn't done by Bethesda either don't forget. Pretty sure they're still mad that Obsidian made a far superior product in what was supposed to just be an offshoot game.

Pretty sure nobody at Bethesda is creative enough to come up with a homicidal toaster or a light switch that just loves the way you turn her on.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Shame because NV is a goddamn masterpiece compared to FO3, especially the DLC.

It is my favorite single player game of all time. Well tied with FO2. I go to Goodsprings around Halloween every year.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I pretty much ignored the base building in FO4. Didnt care about it at all really. I wanted to like this because I have never really done the survival game thing. How ever for it to be appealing to me long term it needs to have at least one of these things and preferably more. The first is meaningful long term character progression. The second is meaningful PvP. If base building is to be a big part of this game then there needs to be a reason to raid peoples bases.

The previews showed a game about collecting junk and likely for building and crafting. I didn't see anything else really and their PvP system strongly discourages PvP. I don't see this game going anywhere for me with out something like the above.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
AFAIK, the base building isn't a base in the traditional sense. It's just a collection of various workshops and items that you can plop down via a deployment system, and can move to different locations and so on. It's not building literal buildings or settlements or anything like that. At least that's the idea I got from all of the earlier info. Haven't seen anything relating to it since.