Fallout 76

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Any developer that thinks push-to-talk conflicts with immersion has never played an online game with voice chat.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Ya, that was my main complaint. It wasn't so bad once I got out of Noobville at the start of the game, but I had to mute it in the starting town because of all the open mic spam since there were so many people there (people's game audio playing over mic, people talking to other people at their house, CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK, etc). The game does give you some mute options, although it would be better if you could just click on someone on the map and select to mute individual people. Push to talk as default would be even better. Or shit, add some chat box/text modes for PC.

If you do play the game/just start, make sure to mute the voice chat before you launch the game. Once you are in character creation in the vault, you can still hear people talk over mics and can't do anything to change settings until you leave character creation. When I first played the game, I was greeted with some stoner going "whoa, you can make your character FAT" lol.

Edit: Apparently Bethesda got the message and changed their reply to adding push2talk in the "near future".

Last edited:

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
They need to not only add it, but make it the default setting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

seriously. push to talk, not being default is some serious. "do you fuckers even play games?"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Ultrawide support 'post-launch, watch for patch notes'

My purchase 'post-launch, watch me pay 1/3 the price''

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
They set the FOV a bit higher in the patch, but I still get a headache with the new setting after a while. Also the idea of having a permanent open micro and no Push-to-talk is mind-bogling

Cybsled

Didn't get to play much today (put this shit on a weekend, please). I did find half a suit of T-60 Power Armor in the basement of an evil mining company, but they're level 40 so I couldn't use it. I snagged it anyways.

Other thing I noticed from Beta is the Poseidon Energy events are great if you need to get plans to make power generation for your base. Not sure if it is totally random or contingent on completing the optional quest objectives. I soloed it 3 times. First time I did partial repairs only and got a large generator plan. Next time I did 2 out of 3 complete repairs and got a fusion generator plan. I did all 3 complete repairs and got a windmill plan. That would seem to suggest that some plans/recipes/etc may be based on specific events.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
So the game is pretty much what Defiance is/was (no idea about Defiance2050) without the vehicles, pvp arenas, top damage score borads(during events), with less players, smaller map, slower game play, and an annoying carry weight / food system, set in a fallout setting.
I'll wait for f2p.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Got some legendary weapon and armor drops from nameds today , make a big difference on higher level enemies. Still pretty blown by the sheer size of the game world - there’s a ton to explore here.

Did briefly play solo today and it’s a very different game- much more dull and you really notice the lack of npc.

I think the game is very unique, there’s really nothing like it. Whether Bethesda was going for that, I dunno.

I think the comparison to f2p survival games is a bit unfair. Yea the game is clunky as fk, but I’ve yet to see a survival game with a world this big *and* interesting ie it wasn’t procedurally generated.

You have to get yourself in the right mindset - the game rewards imagination and some patience to take in the environment - you kinda notice what happened somewhere and why someone died and it’s kinda cool to think about. But if you don’t appreciate things like that then it’s just endless terminals to sift thru to get quest updates and lots of running around from place to place. We’ve been trained to mute our senses during such times during most games, because in most survival games such periods are going to be bland, because there’s nothing cool to appreciate in a procedurally generated area usually.

I hope the unanimously bad press doesn’t cause this game to die an early death because there is fun to be had here - I’ve seen people comparing this to andromeda on YouTube which is a bit hysterical I mean c’mon.

• 1Barf
  • 1Picard

Goonsquad Officer
i hope it lives long enough to see private servers and mods. because that is maybe the only my friends and i would play it.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Most of the people bitching on Youtube before the game came out where just pissed it wasn't FO:NV2.

This game actually has some good Fallout lore if you look around, like giving more origin info on the BoS and Maxson himself explaining why he came up with the knight/squire/etc rank system. You can also work for the Enclave and gain military rank with them, which gives it bonus points lol. If you become a general within the Enclave, they give you X-01 blueprints so you can construct the X-01 Power Armor.

i hope it lives long enough to see private servers and mods

Last patch added private server UI elements, so I imagine those will come sooner rather than later.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I actually like that the lore isn’t spoonfed to you and the lack of npcs means there is a lot of reading to do (the terminals tend to have more useful info than the long and generally subpar holotapes), and then after you’re done going thru a terminal, the environment around you makes so much more sense.

Like the overseer logs at vault Tec U , you read his logs and then you understand the corpses outside his door, and why inside there’s a skeleton with rat poison and a rag, just one example.

I feel like the people shittin on this game on YouTube woulda hated planescape (not that I’m saying the storytelling in this game is as good)

Argarth

On the verandah
The GameBryo Engine lives on...

Can't wait to see rocket ships "skating" through space in Starfield; and get ready to smear some more Vaseline on your eyeballs, just in time for Elder Scrolls VI.

Is there any other multi-billion dollar Game Studio quite as lazy as Bethesda?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Can't wait to see rocket ships "skating" through space in Starfield; and get ready to smear some more Vaseline on your eyeballs, just in time for Elder Scrolls VI.

Jesus

I feel like the people shittin on this game on YouTube woulda hated planescape (not that I’m saying the storytelling in this game is as good)

Planescape Torment doesn't belong in the same sentence with this game.

with that said if they had tons of lore that didn't shit on FO1/2/New vegas lore I am all for it but I can't imagine that being the case after FO4.

Cybsled Cybsled got me a tad excited about the term lore ala Honest hearts quality. Im holding him to it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

I knew they were going to be using it for Starfield, but that was supposedly going to be the last game it was used for. That they're going to be using it for ES6 as well is absurd.

It's had its day. Time to Old Yeller it.

spronk

FPS noob
For consoles apparently the disc is just basically a bootstrap installer, it installs 384 megs and then downloads the "real" 50 gig game. So its not so much as a day 1 patch is 50 gigs but the fact that they basically didn't ship the game on discs

dbqc8Ne.jpg

• 1WTF

Cybsled

Ya, if you didn't uninstall the PC beta, then you just have a smaller patch to go through. Consoles get fuct lol

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I opened a ticket requesting a refund of my preder on 2nd Nov. They approved it overnight the same day and said it would be 10 business days until I see the money. Money hasn't arrived yet but ill give them the 10 working days before I complain.

Funny thing is though, I've lost access to the game in the bethesda launcher, and now I can't uninstall it. If I uninstall FO76 from 'apps and features' that opens the bethesda launcher and then pops up a window "No Access Granted. You do not have access to this game. Please check to make sure you are signed in with a bethesda.net account associated with the purchase of this game."

Very funny bethesda! Not that they can stop me from just deleting the 50G off my drive and leaving whatever nonsense it installed in the registery lingering forever.

• 1Like