Fallout 76

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
It certainly isn't as shallow as Sea of Thieves. It is an expanded Fallout 4 world with the same gameplay as vanilla Fallout 4 without the main quest and living npcs. Quests are from logs, notes, robots and other things. Map is much larger than Fallout 4, but just as densely populated. Stuff everywhere.

The multiplayer part though is... weird. Like it is tacked on, but without an actual direction. It isn't made for PvPers and annoying for soloing. If I could run around alone and just explore by myself I'd like that better than what it is so far. However, that said, I rarely run into people with the way I play. I play it the same way I did 3 and 4. I see an unexplored location on my compass bar, run towards it and explore, then on to the next one. If you like that part of the gameplay from the other games, you will have much to do in 76. It's huge.

That said, negatives
- If you run up to someone and launch a mini nuke at your feet, you kill them without being tagged as PvP. You can then hurry back and steal their junk loot as well without getting a bounty.
- If you enable the pacifist option, you make it impossible for you to harm other people, but they can still hurt you. Even if they are marked red.
- Your base size (for moving) is limited by blueprint size which doesn't increase. You can save up to 10 blueprints of a base you've built, but if you exceed the blueprint amount you won't be able to save everything. I guess not unless you tag certain parts to different blueprint points. Cost is per item. Walls are less than things like generators and work benches.
- Visual bugs and texture flickering on shadows at times
- Too much loot. You will never run out of ammo after level 5. The "survival" element is as shallow that it might as well not even be there. It's a non issue to constantly be fed and supplied.
- Not enough weight storage (like ammo has weight now, but can't be sold for money). Scared this, along with blueprint size, will end up as quality of life microtransactions. By level 8-10ish you will most likely have maxed storage capacity even with scrapping everything down. At that point, you will start destroying things like dropping 900 ammo of a type you don't use.

All in all. Not as bad as I thought. I am having fun exploring, but it's not a 60 dollar game. It's like an early access title at this point, with "oh, in the future we will add...".

The No Clip documentary seems apt in the parts where in every section of that when potential multiplayer issues came up, their responses were basically "Let's wait and see what happens". Like they have no direction other than letting people in a Fallout sandbox and then seeing how to fix issues later.

Based on where I see people on the map though, I think 80% of the players play it like me. Lots of individual players exploring at their own pace. Nobody really gathers for events unless the event spawns on you. So at this point, I think the multiplayer aspect of it is more of a detriment than a boon for the majority of players.

However, I do hope that their ability to add multiplayer now will factor into their development of Fallout 5 letting people play Co Op. That'd be great. With a main host where the world revolves around them, but letting a friend tag along for the ride as a follower instead of a NPC.

Tl;dr: 6/10. Meh. Enjoyed side questing in vanilla Fallout 4? You'll find enjoyment in this. It's much more of the same.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The game isn't the flaming dogshit pile you make it out to be. a_skeleton_03, the game isn't hollow. It is literally FO4 w/o the dialogue trees. Did you enjoy the parts of FO4 that didn't involve picking 1 of 4 dialogue options? Then you might like FO76.

I have always equated game value to dollar. If this launched as a free to play game (Which honestly, let's not kid ourselves, regardless of how much you like this game it has no business being sold as a full price AAA game - that went for No Mans Sky and SoT and others as well) I wouldn't have an issue. Or hell, even a mod for FO4 at 15 bucks. Or a $19.99 early access release to play before and help fund development knowing it would be F2P later.

But this game is NOT a 60 dollar game. If I combine that with the fact this is a way for Zenimax Media to recoup lost investment costs on Vogel's studio which they should have seen from a mile away anyway with any sort of common sense, slap their popular IP on it for the PURE SAKE of selling it off as the quality of that IP in the past, while KNOWINGLY flipping the bird to their consumers thinking gamers are suckers - that's the reasoning for the pure venom you are seeing not only from me but everywhere around the net.

From a business perspective I cannot even justify it. You have a company willing to shatter one of the most popular IP's in the gaming industry to break even on a poor investment with Battlecry while controlling costs on low effort/reskin development, rather than take the loss and not put your IP in jeopardy - the latter would win from the business perspective in my mind every time. It's the fact they think they can get away with it while scapegoating a lack of features on Ester the Tester working as intended role play immersion - that's what should piss everyone off.

Grim1's post was dead on. I get where he is coming from. And yeah, it's about time people are finally sticking up for wanting quality product now. But the only thing these people will listen to is when the cash stops rolling in - that's the only thing they view as a failure. They sell a garbage game but make hundreds of millions on it? They aren't going to notice the negative feedback at all - they are going to think "We can even sink lower from a quality perspective next time, and make even more profit" And hell, why wouldn't they?

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Video games were somewhat killed by the people that fork over for microtransactions and P2W mechanics. Basically Asia.

But mainly video games were killed by the butt love that die hard fans give to companies that made a few good games up front. Blizzard / Bethesda etc think they can do no wrong and that their idiot fans will pay for any crap. Which was basically true up until this year, when their fans finally woke up.

People like me who buy games and play them for a few weeks before moving on don't cause the issues. We're not reliable atm machines, we don't buy the microtransactions or every idiot DLC like the retard fans do. It's the die hard fans of Blizzard / Bethesda / etc who enabled those companies in to having god complexes.

2018 has been a great year for video games in one sense. The die hard fans are finally saying no more, we are tapped out and our good will is gone. Took the fuckwits long enough. Now maybe these companies will be forced to innovate again.

Yet you bought this game...

And said this:

Still having fun with it. The scavenger hunting tags my ocd, the mobs die while in my face and I see other players around and we occasionally kill stuff together (single player games bore me).

But I'm an easy mark for gaming companies. Get a few days of enjoyment out of a game and that's good enough for me. Then off to the new shiney. This should keep me busy until the new league hits in PoE.

I'd say low standard game buyers are as big an issue as fanboys. You said it yourself, on to the next shiny (regardless of actual quality). Fallout fanboys are actually complaining and not buying but if you have no standards then this is fine for a few days. And you're not a problem with the industry?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not a die hard Fallout fan. Just a drive by. I have nothing to disappointed in. The game as is, is fun for me. And since I'll be done with this game in a few weeks, my money doesn't matter.

They need the die hard fans to buy in or it will fail. Drive by's don't pay the bills, there aren't enough of us. We don't buy dlc's, micro-transactions or stick around. Big, expensive to make games like this need the fans who will be here for a long time.

DickTrickle

I'm not a die hard Fallout fan. Just a drive by. I have nothing to disappointed in. The game as is, is fun for me. And since I'll be done with this game in a few weeks, my money doesn't matter.

They need the die hard fans to buy in or it will fail. Drive by's don't pay the bills. There aren't enough of us and we don't buy dlc's or micro-transactions. Big games like this need the fans.

Except you bought it at launch at full price. The fallout customer base is huge and you can't really think they're only sustained by people buying stupid shit like the deluxe versions and DLC. It's simply not the case.

Fallout 4 has moved close to 14 million copies of the base game. Do you really think they need to rely solely on diehard fans? I guess there's really no way to settle this argument but I think people who buy full prices mediocre games are a pretty significant problem because they're not actually that affected by the quality of the game so they'll keep coming back if the new superficial features are shiny enough. You help offset the loss of diehard fans.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Except you bought it at launch at full price. The fallout customer base is huge and you can't really think they're only sustained by people buying stupid shit like the deluxe versions and DLC. It's simply not the case.

Fallout 4 has moved close to 14 million copies of the base game. Do you really think they need to rely solely on diehard fans? I guess there's really no way to settle this argument but I think people who buy full prices mediocre games are a pretty significant problem because they're not actually that affected by the quality of the game so they'll keep coming back if the new superficial features are shiny enough. You help offset the loss of diehard fans.

That''s a solid point.

I do believe though that with this switch to software as a service people (Bethesda) are starting to think of a game as a market base to sell more into once it's installed rather than the game itself being the revenue driver. In this case, Bethesda is going after both - and that right there, alone, is why I am severely starting to hate this company.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

60 bucks is less than I spend on a night out drinking. I just don't give a fuck, as long as I get a few nights of enjoyment out of the game, it will be worth it.

And if Fallout 76 eventually dies, I couldn't care less.

These big budget games need more than drive-by's like me to make their money back. If the fans don't buy in, then they fail hard.

• 1Like

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
What Grim said. Bought as a "kinda Fallout" game and did not expect much. It's okayish if you are the explorer and crafting type of player. What I don't get is how people expect something to be improved in the future like this is a solid MMO or whatnot . Bethesda sold how many million Skyrim copies? Up to this day you still have to rely on player made "unofficial patches" with thousands of fixes you download from a mod community site to play this properly. Bethesda never gave a flying fuck after they shipped the final product other than severe technical bugs.
So why people think they will come up with content patches, QOL improvements etc. is beyond me.
Also fire the fucker who designed the PC interface. And fire everyone who knew and did not stop him.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

ya, I can afford to buy every single game i'm even half interested in but it's both the point of it for me, and the fact that there is SOOOO much shit to play both in my library and to purchase for cheap. There has never been an easier time to speak with your wallet to the gaming industry

• 3Like

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
Amazing, a two day old well known IP game has less viewers than a 13+ year old MMO.

DickTrickle

ya, I can afford to buy every single game i'm even half interested in but it's both the point of it for me, and the fact that there is SOOOO much shit to play both in my library and to purchase for cheap. There has never been an easier time to speak with your wallet to the gaming industry

Yep, exactly. It's not about an individual's ability to purchase or about one particular game. It's about not rewarding mediocrity in the industry as a whole.

It just blows my mind that someone here would think a general practice of paying for half finished games and subpar experiences wouldn't be a negative for getting good games in the future.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I know this is hard for the hard cores to understand but I didn't think Fallout 3 or 4 were that all that great either. Only played them a few days also.

Imo, 99.99999 percent of the games out there are mediocre. If they only provide me with a few days of mindless fun then I'm fine with that. The same thing with movies, television and music. Very, very few entertainment options are memorable or life changing. The rest is just something to do.

If I held the hard core view, then I'd be sitting around twiddling my thumbs "fighting the good fight!". Fuck that. if all I have to choose from is mediocre or nothing then sell me mediocre.

Cybsled

I finished the Mistress of Mystery questline. Was a good questline (although fuck one part...all these glowing mole people spawned with rocket launchers and wrecked my shit), although the motivation for the betrayal was a little wtf. Best part is you learn the blueprints for some of the items, so you can craft higher level versions of them later. The Voice of Set isn't a bad anti-robot gun (.44 pistol with a holo sight that does bonus damage to robots). The Veil is the best part...acts as a gasmask, but you don't take a minus perception hit. The halluigen gas+stealth boy combo is cool, but a pain in the ass to make (basically does a ninja vanish that stuns everything nearby and then makes you invis, good "oh shit" item to have in your inventory).

The Excavator Powerarmor has made shit a lot easier. Full set gives you 100 bonus carry weight, usable at 25. It also lets you get more ore from harvesting. I'm using it over the T-51b armor that is available at 30 for that reason alone. Looks pretty cool as well.

fallout-76-excavator-power-armor-guide-slider2.jpg

• 1Like

DickTrickle

So, Grim1 Grim1 , essentially, you feel nearly everything you consume entertainment wise is mediocre. Sounds pretty depressing, honestly. You might need a new hobby.

• 3Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I know this is hard for the hard cores to understand but I didn't think Fallout 3 or 4 were that all that great either. Only played them a few days also.

Imo, 99.99999 percent of the games out there are mediocre. If they only provide me with a few days of mindless fun then I'm fine with that. The same thing with movies, television and music. Very, very few entertainment options are memorable or life changing. The rest is just something to do.

If I held the hard core view, then I'd be sitting around twiddling my thumbs "fighting the good fight!". Fuck that. if all I have to choose from is mediocre or nothing then sell me mediocre.

There are so many insanely good games out there.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Fallout 76 | Upcoming Features and Fixes – November 2018

Upcoming Fixes Before the End of the Year

• November 19 Patch - The next update will focus primarily on game performance and stability on all platforms but will also come with a list of fixes to quests, UI, C.A.M.P.s, and more. Patch notes will be available early next week. This update will be large compared to what we expect for patches going forward. Regular updates will always vary in size, but future updates should be much smaller in comparison.
  • Stash Limit Increase – We hear you loud and clear. We will be increasing the stash limit in the coming weeks. The current limit is there for technical reasons, to cap the number of items the game is tracking in the world, including every container and stash. We believe we have some ideas in both the short- and long-term that will address the size without risking stability, but this is one we need to take our time on to make sure it is done right.
  • Push to Talk for PC – After listening to all of your concerns, we have made progress on getting this into the game and it will also be included in an update in the next few weeks.
  • Ultrawide Support for PC – 21:9 support will be coming soon. We have seen it in testing and it looks awesome.
  • FOV Slider for PC – We know this is popular request for our PC players— look for an FOV slider soon.
Looking ahead to 2019

We teased in our launch letter some of what’s to come next. In addition to constantly making fixes and changes, there will be new content and game systems that add to the life and experiences in Appalachia. We’ll see new Vaults opening, new ways to easily improve your C.A.M.P.s, ways to create, team-up, and faction-based PvP, and many more free add-ons we haven’t talked about yet. In addition, you will see articles each week that highlight new events, content, and features we’re excited to share. We look forward to growing Fallout 76 with you.

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That’s fantastic. Let me know when they have grown it. I’m done paying 60 up front to throw water in the chia pet container.

And by that time, a year from now, I can pick it up either for free or 10 bucks. (Not sure I would pay ten bucks in November 2019 but never know).

Until then, fuck off bethesda.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, Grim1 Grim1 , essentially, you feel nearly everything you consume entertainment wise is mediocre. Sounds pretty depressing, honestly. You might need a new hobby.

Not depressing at all actually, just a fact of life when you have a few years behind you, but I am always looking for new experiences. The problem is that the new games (movies, etc) are just retreads of the old games with minor tweeks. Been there, done that. Give me something new and I'll be excited by it and stick around. But there really hasn't been anything new in the gaming sphere for over a decade. Someone might say mobile but those games are retreads of the tiny screen shit from the 90's. Fuck that.

The only saving grace is music. Yeah, most of it is garbage also, but there is always someone putting something out that just bends my mind. Or something I missed from way back. Have to look into new genres to find that sometimes, but it's worth it.

edit Cybsled Cybsled : Like the changes coming. I really want to see this game on my Nvidia surround setup, graphically it can be stunning already. Stash limit is the biggest issue for me otherwise. Don't care too much about the rest.

Last edited: