Fallout 76

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
If this exact game came out from an independant it would be 20 bucks until it's 3 years deep in early access and ready for launch.

It wouldn't make it to 3 years if it was an independant game, its too bad for that.

2-3 months and it'll be forgotten here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

I watched this one and the next video lined up was this:

When the Beta went live and I started getting impressions from streamers and youtube people playing it, I got this gut feeling that they pulled a Destiny and scrapped what they had going due to the negative feedback from the reveal in E3. And since they hard set a release date in November, there was no way they could completely overhaul a game in 5 months. I have absolutely 0 experience with survival games like Rust so I'm not going to say "like those," but I really feel like this game was pick up in nature originally. Meaning you logged in, gathered shit you needed for THAT play session and went to war with other players using those resources. When you logged off, in essence you lost most of what you got, but that's ok, you'd just get more next time. Much like Fortnite or what have you. However, it just feels like they back pedaled that vision and tried to toss together Fallout 4 with other people sans the story.

Personally this still seems to mostly have the loop I enjoyed most in Fallout 4. Pick a direction, go in it, kill shit, and collect loot. However all of that was supported by robust systems in crafting, companion relationships, building, and a complex leveling system, which as far as I can tell, most of that has been gutted. And that's the rub right now for me. I have absolutely no idea what direction they are taking this. Ok, they are patching it today to fix technical issues and add the PC stuff like FOV and push to talk, and they are saying the stash will get fixed sometime in the next month and a half. But, how long will this really take? The people who view Bethesda negatively will say never, and the people who view them positively will say very soon. I see potential in this game, but it has a ways to go to get to where I'd want to buy it, but I'm afraid the feedback will be so polarized I'll never get a straight answer to that question.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I have absolutely 0 experience with survival games like Rust so I'm not going to say "like those," but I really feel like this game was pick up in nature originally. Meaning you logged in, gathered shit you needed for THAT play session and went to war with other players using those resources. When you logged off, in essence you lost most of what you got, but that's ok, you'd just get more next time

That type of model only works for past paced action where it is very easy to get back to your previous state of strength, otherwise people lose interest fast (see DayZ standalone...no one liked spending a week to find a pistol, then losing it 5 minutes later). Ultimately you want a hook to get players to come back. The MMO progression-type model works because players feel like they are getting value for their invested playtime. Most survival games /w building out there use the MMO-hook, either through leveling, learning recipes, base building, and finding rare resources that let them make more powerful weapons/armor/etc. No one wants to invest time into something that will get lost, which is why perma-death MMOs have never really taken off and why Shadowbane basically became a ghost town within a month of launch (whoever thought players would invest hundreds of manhours in making a city and getting good gear, then would be 100% on board with starting from scratch after losing all of that was really out of touch).

Cybsled

Youtube and clickbait titles? Never!!

The way Youtube changed monetization really makes it a requirement.

"Avocados KILL!!! Find out the truth!!!"

Then you click on the video and it talks about avocados being toxic to dogs.

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
The fallout 76 power armor edition still being available says a lot about their sales.
Still undecided if I could make money off of it in the future.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
That type of model only works for past paced action where it is very easy to get back to your previous state of strength, otherwise people lose interest fast (see DayZ standalone...no one liked spending a week to find a pistol, then losing it 5 minutes later). Ultimately you want a hook to get players to come back. The MMO progression-type model works because players feel like they are getting value for their invested playtime.

Most survival games /w building out there use the MMO-hook, either through leveling, learning recipes, base building, and finding rare resources that let them make more powerful weapons/armor/etc.

No one wants to invest time into something that will get lost, which is why perma-death MMOs have never really taken off and why Shadowbane basically became a ghost town within a month of launch (whoever thought players would invest hundreds of manhours in making a city and getting good gear, then would be 100% on board with starting from scratch after losing all of that was really out of touch).

Well I also think that was not part of the plan either in their original vision of this,. I don't think this was really intended to be an MMO-ish loot grind/farm at all. The bolded is absolutely what I think the original hook was meant to be until people really freaked out about the PVP part of it. And they back tracked and tried to change it to an MMO-lite in 5 months and we are seeing the result of that. Again it's a gut feeling is all. I know Bethesda is known for their glitches, but this game is more than just that. The systems themselves outside of the very Meta level gameplay loop seem to have no idea what the fuck they want to be either. (edited to single out what I was referring to since the bold did not stand out enough)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Well I also think that was not part of the plan either in their original vision of this,. I don't think this was really intended to be an MMO-ish loot grind/farm at all. The bolded is absolutely what I think the original hook was meant to be until people really freaked out about the PVP part of it. And they back tracked and tried to change it to an MMO-lite in 5 months and we are seeing the result of that. Again it's a gut feeling is all. I know Bethesda is known for their glitches, but this game is more than just that. The systems themselves outside of the very Meta level gameplay loop seem to have no idea what the fuck they want to be either. (edited to single out what I was referring to since the bold did not stand out enough)

Correct this was supposed to be battlecry.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Correct this was supposed to be battlecry.

Right I just know jack and shit about Rust/Battlecry or any other survival game as they really aren't my bag, so I didn't really want to reference it. But it seems to me they were trying for something closer to those than a PVE loot grind game, and I feel they should have stuck to their guns on that choice instead of trying to revert to a PVE game.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
  • 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It seems like every time they need to patch it they basically have you download the entire game and reinstall it. Wasn't this also happening during Beta as well?

I remember Destiny had this problem as well on the consoles. Like 30 meg patch would be re-downloading the entire fucking game.

• 1Like

Caliane

Personally this still seems to mostly have the loop I enjoyed most in Fallout 4. Pick a direction, go in it, kill shit, and collect loot. However all of that was supported by robust systems in crafting, companion relationships, building, and a complex leveling system, which as far as I can tell, most of that has been gutted. And that's the rub right now for me. I have absolutely no idea what direction they are taking this. Ok, they are patching it today to fix technical issues and add the PC stuff like FOV and push to talk, and they are saying the stash will get fixed sometime in the next month and a half. But, how long will this really take? The people who view Bethesda negatively will say never, and the people who view them positively will say very soon. I see potential in this game, but it has a ways to go to get to where I'd want to buy it, but I'm afraid the feedback will be so polarized I'll never get a straight answer to that question.

yes, this is really what I just have no fucking idea, what this game is. Like, FO4 is interesting as its at least 2 different game at odds with each other in a way. And I get that, there are people that loved the settlement system, and wanted that to be more robust. While there are people that wanted focus on pure rpg storytelling. I've always stated I like my Bethesda games to be more sandbox rpgs, then story based rpgs. you have the Witcher, etc for your story based rpgs. let me have my sandboxes.
But, FO4's settlements go even a step further into basebuilding sim.

So, I thought that is what this game was going to be. A spinoff, into pure basebuildling/settlement sim/survival game. That would have made sense. That would have been a game. And, while not making the RPG fallout people happy at all. Should have been ok, as a spinoff.
But its not even fucking that. As stated, the bases are tiny, and not persistent. There are NO npc sims, so its not settlement sim either.. Its "kindof" a survival game.. but woefully lacking all of THOSE features from the 100 other survival games prior, or EVEN fucking FO4 survival mode.

So again. What the fuck is this game? A gutted FO4 with multiplayer? and the multiplayer is more a hindrance then actual improvement. Everyone is just playing it like a normal FO game.
Even if you removed every single bug. the basic game design itself, makes no sense.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

The base budgets are small, but a big part of that is defenses eating up much of your budget. 3 level 1 turrets and a shotgun turret are 3/4ths my home base budget. Changing that would help. Otherwise making a 2 story house unto itself didn’t use up much. I do agree they should boost the base budget, esp since I love large bases. Some players have been able to sneak around restrictions using the environment. On reddit I have seen cave bases and ones up in lookout towers or using existing structures to make up for the budget limits. I saw one where a player built on either side of a small bridge. I made one in the cranberry bog near a mud cave. The restrictions for clipping didn’t let me build rooms in there, but I could place water purification/farm stuff in there and defend the entrance more easily.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ugh this game. My buddy was pumped up for it so I bought it. He's a Fallout guy. It is boring. I thought at least 50% of gaming fun in MMO type games are who you play with. But that is not pulling it up enough.

I just see no point to it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some of the bugs are just so dumb. A couple of us got a bug where we were getting massive xp every time we logged in. We were logging in and out a few times to farm something and our levels just started to take off and we were wondering what was going on, then we saw we got around 500xp every time we logged in or something like that

Cybsled

Some of the bugs are just so dumb. A couple of us got a bug where we were getting massive xp every time we logged in. We were logging in and out a few times to farm something and our levels just started to take off and we were wondering what was going on, then we saw we got around 500xp every time we logged in or something like that

Some of the events have server wide benefits, so I wonder if it was related to that? For instance, when someone does the Mama Dolce one, everyone on server gets 5cans of food that boost xp gain