Fallout 76

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
SkillUp was pretty harsh about the Beta. I'm wondering if his experience was an anomaly:

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I'd like to be able to comment on the beta, but I was never able to play because they throttled download speeds to like 300k and I couldn't redownload in time

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

nicksw

Molten Core Raider
Will wait untill the game is at least 50% off to even consider buying it. So in two months? ;)

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The forced aspect of the multiplayer is what I think will break it, because the people who want PvP and multiplayer end up getting a game that is toned down for the people who want the PvE experience (but can enjoy coop with friends).

The developers obviously want it to be multiplayer. Can see that in an easy example not not having an option to "turn off" other players. DansGaming for instance wants to play it as a single player game. Maybe group with chat from time to time for harder content. However, what he was met with immediately after hitting start and entering the lobby was people talking in a chat he could not turn off. Heard a kid, and suddenly they started swearing too. He had to enter the list of the lobby where everyone in the server was, and mute each person individually. No option to just turn off voice chat completely.

The PvP penalties push away the hardcore PvPers and forced multiplayer pushes away the people (majority?) who want a new Fallout game to explore without being hassled by other players.

This game needs individual servers with different rulesets. Things like
- FFA PvP full loot
- FFA PvP crafting loot
- PvP carebear (similar to what it is now)
- PvE

Then also let you tag your character with flags like
- Only multiplayer with (will make all other players invisible, and you are invisible to others)
---- All players / no restrictions
---- Friends list only
---- Nobody (can add a warning that the game is meant to be multiplayer, and some content will be close to impossible alone)

Letting people decide things like above would make it appeal to a far larger range of players rather than what they seem to be doing now. Missing the mark on both the PvP and the PvE crowd.

I am fairly certain that the vast majority of people who have ever mentioned "multiplayer" in a Fallout game ment the ability to have you and a friend running around in the world instead of you and a NPC companion. An option like that would be amazing in a Fallout game. However, what they are doing now I don't recall ever having being brought up in a Fallout (insert version here) forum thread.

I stand by my prediction of a major discount by Christmas, following a lower price without a sale by jan\feb. By mid 2019 it will be heading towards F2P with micro transactions. F2P will be launched with most of the things above, but also a mod store to tie in with the micro transactions. No Nexus mods, but tied to their own store to only let in pre-approved mods. Would also be surprised if this isn't already a plan in an internal development roadmap.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The only person I ever remembered wanting Fallout Coop was Column.

• 1Worf

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
This is an example of a free to play game and Bethesda trying to target hype off the IP for box sales before it makes the switch.

Bethesda has gone completely 100% downhill.

• 1Like

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I stand by my prediction of a major discount by Christmas, following a lower price without a sale by jan\feb. By mid 2019 it will be heading towards F2P with micro transactions. F2P will be launched with most of the things above, but also a mod store to tie in with the micro transactions. No Nexus mods, but tied to their own store to only let in pre-approved mods. Would also be surprised if this isn't already a plan in an internal development roadmap.

I couldn't agree more. I think this game is going to see a massive price drop both before and after Christmas. I also agree that it will ultimately end up F2P with microtrans. I just can't see there being enough people in the funnel to play the game at its current price. Insofar as the majority of the game's fun is predicated upon multiplayer interactions they need to entice a lot of people to play in order to create the kind of organic experiences and viral content they are going for.

I also agree that the gmae is weirdly positioned without a slate of server options. I just want to play coop with my son; others want a hardcore PvP experience; others just want to build and play solo exploring the world. Right now all these people are mashed together in an unsatisfactory experience for all.

Subjectively, I feel like, at one point, this was a good idea that some developer had but it got bloated and expanded by market potential to become the ungainly beast that it is today.

The graphics and performance are also horrendous. While that is pretty much to be expected of a Bethesda game at this point I was still shocked how little visual upgrade there was since F04.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If anyone wants some more context to the development of the game, the Noclip doc is a good watch

It was pretty much born from exploring multiplayer for FO4, but deciding to create a new game around it as it obviously wouldn't be able to work within FO4 without a much longer development, so they shunted it over to a new studio they "acquired"

Rockstar

Trakanon Raider
I got excited when I first heard about this because I put a lot of time into Rust and Fallout 4.

Then I learned about all the pvp mechanics and watched the xbox/pc beta streams.

Like everyone else is saying, this looks like a turd. Going to leave both PVE and PVP players disappointed.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Been playing this alot today and last beta. Decided I have to basically treat it as a random MMO set in fallout universe instead of a fallout game. Grind shit for levels and scavenge for gear. Occasionally do a quest or something for xp so that I can fight bigger shit. Thats about the only way I have been enjoying it.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I was interested at first, but I will not be getting this. I've played/own every Fallout game too. Sad.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
either the price is going to drop a lot, or they're going to majorly rework the game. hopefully both.

you're either a fool or a crazy diehard fan with money to blow if you buy it now.

Cybsled

I've been playing this for the last 7 hours straight. Honestly, I really like it thus far. Game runs well even on high or better settings (although some of the timed events get laggy when non-stop waves of shit start cluttering the spot with their corpses lol). Despite all the people crying about no regular human NPCs, it really doesn't feel too different than FO4. There are still robot NPCs that give quests and you interact with and there is still all the indirect interactions. I do have to say the "sorry Mario, but our princess is in another castle" feel to chasing after other people and never seeing them is a little odd and some of the lore is a little wtf (ie, why are there super mutants?). Also, the voice chat being automatic and active mic is annoying as fuck in the noob areas, because there are always some mouth breather fuckwits that are dur durring into their mic. I turned it off in the starting town for the main quest, then reactivated it later when there wasn't 10 people derping around lol.

If they do private servers later or different rule sets, this game will have a lot of potential.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
i enjoyed this in a group. im having big time lag problems i feel like its not detecting my videocard. i had to play it at 640x480 for playable fps lol and even then was sketch sometimes. anyone know ofa fix? i have 970m laptop, latest drivers

• 1Barf

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
i enjoyed this in a group. im having big time lag problems i feel like its not detecting my videocard. i had to play it at 640x480 for playable fps lol and even then was sketch sometimes. anyone know ofa fix? i have 970m laptop, latest drivers

Make sure you don't have a pending Windows Update.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, whatever video card you have, if there's an "m" attached to the end of it, automatically take it back two generations and then you might be at the correct level. I've never understood why companies do that shit either. There are some gaming laptops out there, but they're way heavier and way larger than your usual laptops.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
gtx 970m is basically equal to a desktop gtx760.

Minimum requirement is gtx960, so you are below minimum.

• 1Like