Fallout 76

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

rad

Lord of Guk
bosft.jpg

x01sunset.jpg

redpie.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

it’s probably been a month since I last saw someone spawn the Earl raid. They really do need to boost the rewards on him. The wendigo spam is good xp at least lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rad

Lord of Guk
it’s probably been a month since I last saw someone spawn the Earl raid. They really do need to boost the rewards on him. The wendigo spam is good xp at least lol

The times you show up and everyone is sub 100 for an Earl... back gets heavy.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Played through the rest of the series, kinda want more Fallout but not too much more. Couple questions:

-Is the single-player mode (Wastelanders?) fairly decent?
-Is there any separate purchase involved or can I just get the base game and install Wastelanders?

Don't think I'll be engaging in the MMO aspects or raiding, just want more single-player FO action after running out of other FO games.

Noah

Molten Core Raider
there are 3 game modes - there are no DLC or expansions to buy - you have access to all of the content with the base game

1. adventure (99% pve) (included with base game)
2. private world (99% pve) (fallout 1st only)
3. nuclear winter (pvp) (included with base game)

I would recommend just getting the base game and playing adventure mode - you are not forced to play with other people and can go around solo 100% of the time but you can make a group or join a group for the passive bonuses and having other players can be helpful for some things you will want to do eventually.

if you 100% did not want to play with other people you could get a fallout1st subscription and play on private world - it is identical to adventure mode except that you can limit who joins the server

if you are on pc it should be said that there are cheaters
primarily they will have weapons that are OP but some of the weapons can cause bad performance issues (insane lag / screw up your sound)

in the nuclear winter pvp mode you will run into people using aimbots or various cheats and it can be annoying

• 1Like

Cybsled

Played through the rest of the series, kinda want more Fallout but not too much more. Couple questions:

-Is the single-player mode (Wastelanders?) fairly decent?
-Is there any separate purchase involved or can I just get the base game and install Wastelanders?

Don't think I'll be engaging in the MMO aspects or raiding, just want more single-player FO action after running out of other FO games.

Basically think of it as a modern MMO: You can basically solo through most of it and really only need to group up for boss fights (basically world bosses, completely optional although Scorch Beast Queen is tied to a main story quest). However, I would recommend you join a public group while playing. 99% of the time, the people you group with won't say a peep or try to hang out with you. However, you do get some perks for grouping (depending on group type, you might get a XP bonus or stat bonus). People in groups also share perk cards sometimes, so you can get some essentially free perk card bonuses while in the group. There are also some mutations, like Herd Mentality, that give you a +2 special stat to all bonus just for being in a group and strange in numbers perk that boosts the bonuses of mutations by 25% while in a group (this even works with stuff like marsupial mutation, letting you jump even higher).

But ya, buy the base game and you're all set. Wastelanders and the BoS stuff they added gives you a healthy amount of story content and quests to do. You can pretty much solo all of it if you want to. There are lots of areas to explore not tied to the main quests either and after you unlock some parts of the game as you progress, there are faction grinds if that's your thing to unlock new weapon schematics and stuff like that if you want stuff to do after exhausting the storylines.

There are basically 3 main storylines in the game
1) Overseer's journey
2) The Treasure of Appalachia (raiders/settlers factions)
3) Brotherhood of Steel

The Overseer's Journey is the original FO76 story, so most of it doesn't have much in the way of NPCs (although they retroactively added some to parts). However, elements of that quest are needed for the other 2 storylines to progress in some instances. They've tied all the questlines together in a way so it makes sense, though.

There are also a bunch of side quests and 2 major ally quests (think the companion questlines from Fallout 4 or FONV). There are also some minor allies but they dont have anything in terms of good questlines.

One tip, though: While you can technically move your camp, there are sometimes issues with complex blueprints bugging out and not being able to place them. I would recommend keeping your camp fairly basic until you find a spot you really want to make a more permanent camp that is more complex in terms of build (if you chose to, that is). Here is my current camp.
Photo_2020-12-05-001935.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Doubt this will be a singleplayer RPG, wouldn't be surprised if it will try to cash in on "base building" multiplayer survival stuff. They were pushing that shit in fallout 4 as if the one thing I wanted to do was not explore the wasteland and have to come back and deal with petty upkeep chores.

The base-building and workshop stuff in Fallout 4 was the main reason I didn't get 100%. After 120 hours or so of playing I had 90% trophies and a plat, the missing 10% were all Wasteland Workshop or Nuka-World, and I suddenly just couldn't be arsed to keep playing any more. It was one of the biggest "I just can't do this anymore" walkaways I've ever done from a game, considering how much time I'd put on it and how much work I did to try and get 100%. The only other game that I can think of that I dropped at the 11th hour is Cuphead. Just couldn't be arsed anymore eventually, even though I was close to being done. These things drive my OCD nuts.

I had no trouble 100%ing FO3 and FONV in 65 and 72 hours respectively. The main obstacle for FO4 was all of the damn crafting. After hours setting up wires and generators in alleyways I was just done.

In any case, I'm about to (finally) start Fallout 76. Not sure how long I'll play it for, but I have a couple free days to kill and had the Fallout itch. Just doing single-player stuff, main story, nothing optional, not going for 100%, just going in a straight line from start to finish hopefully.

Roughly how long is the single-player campaign, doing what I'm doing? I've read 30 hours, maybe a bit more.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
FO76, at least the story and leveling was pretty tight and spot on. Its the end game that it falls apart, it just needs way more. But if you play fo76 just for story you will like it a lot. But what really turned me off from the end game shit is having to take 1-2 hours every day to go scavage lead and then craft your own bullets. There just wasn't enough from drops to keep you supplied. And yes they have machines that make them for you but they are hidden behind massive faction grinds. Massive because at least at the time there were like 2 daily quests you could do every day and thats it. So it ended up being like a month to get the faction high enough to purchase the plans or whatever. But all this might have changed its been like a year since I played.

Cybsled

Ammo isn't much of an issue anymore. Most players sell ammo for 1 cap per round if you wanna buy it, but Daily Ops are good ammo farms (basically a dungeon mission instance you can run - you can do them solo or in a group). If you kill an enemy with a weapon, the enemy drops the ammo type of the weapon you used (unless you're using something that has a power core like a gatling laser, although the event end reward will give you cores if you complete the op with that weapon). I mostly run an anti-armor flame thrower as my primary weapon and I can get like 1k+ fuel per daily op run.

Also, if you wanna spend the points, they added a legendary perk card that lets you craft bonus ammo and it stacks with ammo smith regular perk card and super duper. It's pretty easy now to churn out a lot of ammo. Plus people barely bother with ammo factory anymore, so you can always capture that if you want.

They also added an ammo converter machine - you can trade in ammo, gives you points, then you use the points to buy other ammo.

As for faction grinds, they are still there and they still havent added much in the way of other dailies for faction yet, but on PTS they added a new vendor that spawns weekly and sells bullion plans at a heavy discount, including shit the raiders and settlers sell for gold bullion.

Speaking of PTS, they are doing a major legendary rebalance. A lot of shit prefixes are getting buffs. Like for instance, mutants will give you 5% damage per mutation you have with a cap of 25% (currently it gives a flat 10%). They are also adding new prefixes, like one that makes you do more damage the more caps you have. They're also adding the ability to craft legendary power armor pieces. They're also going to be adding the 2nd Brotherhood of Steel questlines.

One thing I am looking forward to is they are going to be doing shit with the Zetans at some point (in a few major patches, so prob not until 2022). If you do the BoS quest currently in game, part of it brings you to an abandoned Enclave bunker (well, abandoned because the AI decided to murder everyone lol). There is one specimen holding cell that you cant see too well inside, but if you glitch through the door, it contains 3 Zetan corpses. One of the rare cyptid monsters is a Zetan in an alien power armor suit as well.

They're also working on expeditions - basically you'll leave West Virginia and travel to another location with a new map. They've mentioned we will probably be visiting some location from FO3 first, so people are guessing either The Pitt or some part of DC. The Enclave AI at the Whitesprings Bunker was talking with Raven Rock's AI before nukes cut the connection, so part of me wonders if it might even involve that.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Anyone running their own server for this?

Gonna give it a try, and if it grabs my interest, I'll likely do that FO1st thing and do my own. FAQ makes it seem pretty limited, it's basically a private instance that loads when you play , not really a server you can change settings/mods ect? Guess a shop game kinda needs to work that way.

rad

Lord of Guk
Anyone running their own server for this?

Gonna give it a try, and if it grabs my interest, I'll likely do that FO1st thing and do my own. FAQ makes it seem pretty limited, it's basically a private instance that loads when you play , not really a server you can change settings/mods ect? Guess a shop game kinda needs to work that way.

Correct, its a private instance of the game world. Mod/setting changes is actually a feature they intend to implement with the update in Q4

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
What I can't understand is my Bethseda/ESO account seems to be completely gone. Tried usual login, couldn't recall username, sent me an email, but it started a new account rather than hinting my username. It's like a fresh account, the only thing that suggests otherwise, is it's still tied to my Steam account. Everything else is gone/wiped.

What the fuck? Certainly not giving them a dime now.

Edit: Appears Bethseda are just fucking retards, and have different logins for ESO and Bethseda.net, under same email. Very annoying.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I'm actually having fun with this, and grabbed the FO1st for a "normal" newbie experience on a private map. Was kinda weird seeing nukes being launched all the time, crazy level numbers, bunch of player vendors/camps, pretty sure someone on a map was lvl 2000ish (wtf?) I guess it doesn't really matter past 50 if I read gud.

Seems like a combo of FO4 and ESO kinda.

Any tips on custom keybinding or anything, from people that play? Game has the really stupid built in keybind system from FO4 that I see no obvious way to change. I seem to recall a mod for FO4, is there anything similar for this?

• 1Like

Cybsled

Keybinds are fairly basic. I just changed my pipboy hotkey to avoid accidently opening it in combat.

Special points stop gaining at level 50. Every 50 levels there after, you unlock a legendary perk card slot until you reach the max slots of 6. Scrapping unneeded perk cards gives you points you can use to rank up the legendary cards. You get 2 points per rank you scrap. Legendary cards you can review once you hit 50. For instance, one of them gives you rank 3 pick lock and hacking and Auto Unlock’s level 0 doors/terminals at rank 1. Electricity absorb for power armor has a hidden bonus - lasers also heal you when it activates. I can stand in an assaultron beam attack at max rank and heals me to full and restores my fusion core lol

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
It's the hardcoded keybinds that piss me off. Quickmenu on scroll, many of the interface keys, can't bind certain keys ect. Only thing worse, is games that hardcode WASD for directional control.

It's a major annoyance that is common in many games these days, just cause some dev dude pisses sitting down, doesn't mean I have to.

• 1Worf

Cybsled

They announced that Nuclear Winter is going to be retired in September. The mode was good, they just stopped updating it over a year ago and never fixed the ongoing issues or policed hackers enough. It was a pretty fun Battle Royale with some unique takes on the genre. I had not played in a while, but I might have to get in a few more matches for nostalgia's sake.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
SO are they just forgetting about this game or is there still plans for the future? It sure seems like this one has been relegated to skeleton crew of interns at this point.