Fallout 76

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
if you log in and someone else has built in your spot, it will ask if you if you want to move your camp for free (basically does it's best to save everything the way it was, but some stuff is specific to terrain, so it'll seperate stuff into chunks that you can plop down. i've only done it once and my camp was sort of a tower that was built on a single foundation so it was super easy to move around) OR you can just change servers. honestly the only time it's an issue is if you are logging on to play with friends and the world they are in has someone already built in your spot so you have to convince your friends to stop what they are doing and server hop with you.

the number 1 thing this game has going against it is that it's made by bethesda. they have completely lost touch with what the audience actually wants, on top of their complete inability to make a game without bugs. it sort of used to be endearing, but people are really getting burned out by it.

their recent event for treasure hunting mole people is a complete bust. if you don't know you can run into legendary molemen who will drop these containers. there's a few different kinds of containers and each of them have a chance to drop some event specific items. except they are completely random where you find them, so you can't farm them. and the items IN the boxes have a SUPER low drop rate, and the legendary items that drop are low level, so they aren't even worth it. on top of that, you can spend caps to buy the more rare boxes, but they are like 4000 caps (which is fairly expensive, btw). a bunch of people have spent hundreds of thousands of caps and basically just gotten trash from it.

ON TOP OF THAT the in-game player economy has been shut down for like a week and a half because of some bug so nobody's making any real money.

people were all kinds of pissed because it's just not really worth it, no one cares about it. so bethesda, in their infinite wisdom, says "we are extending the treasure hunting moleman event for another week so you can have more opportunity to fill out your collection!"

THEN they released a recurring event, Fasnacht... i don't know what it but it's some regular holiday event thing. well it broke instantly. there's like, a robot parade or something and you have to kill critters to keep the event going. except no critters are spawning because bethesda setup their servers so that when it's gone too long without a restart, things sort of bog down. talking to npc's starts to take several seconds to initiate, lag spikes, etc. the way they fix that is by removing "clutter" from the server and critters are designated as clutter. and since there's no critters for the quest, it just hangs and nothing happens. it was supposed to launch at noon the other day. it started an hour early and was canceled by like 1230. they just said "we have to fix it, so the event is delayed until further notice."

the game itself is fine, especially with wastelanders... but the people running it are just... they don't know what their doing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, Bethesda is not your dads Bethesda anymore. This company is quickly becoming another EA or like Blizzard. Sucking up other studios into their fold and the bigger they become the more of a shit sandwich we all get instead of games like Morrowind or Skirym. Most of the talent probably already moved on. Because true talent in games thrives in more smaller type work enviroment where they can let their ideas flourish and grow. Not in some corporate bullshit riddled with no talent middle management that only see deadlines and milestones as output.

j00t

unfortunately it's a pretty common thing. companies stop focusing on the artistic value of the individual. when bioware was in it's glory days, we all knew who the writers were, who the artists were... now they are shifted around from studio to studio without so much as a whisper and we're stuck with a giant company logo with a twitter page

Cybsled

people are theorizing that treasure hunter was a secret gold sink for duper’s to trick them into liquidating their stashes. I gave up because it was boring. I plan to do Faschnat when they fix it, though.

Cybsled

Faschnat is working now. Entire server was there and we completed it pretty easy. Had a close call when a super mutant lobbed a molotov at the robots and knocked half of them to half HP.

We didn't get the super sloth spawn, but got a level 50 3-star legendary when the event concluded anyways. I didnt get a good mask, although I saw one mask that reminded me of Rick from Rick and Morty lol

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Interesting interview for future stuff

One big thing is "off map excursions". I wonder if this will mean smaller destination content, like The Pitt in FO3. They're also open to allowing mods on private servers/shards that will give players more flexibility in changing the game experience.

Re mods

I dont believe them and even if true didn't their mod community completely abandon them?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
And also the weight thing, yeah, that can fuck right off. Its definitely the number one annoyance so far in this game. They have you picking up everything and anything for the crafting shit, yet they fuck you with weight restrictions.

Where is that backpack quest? and what level is it?

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Weight is pretty annoying to be sure. Be sure to scrap junk - junk weighs less when scrapped vs. in its raw form. It helps to grab some of the weight reduction perks also to manage your inventory weight. Your stash is a good place to dump stuff, although the stash will fill up faster than you think if you dump everything in it. Remember that scrapping weapons/armor you find in the world gives you a chance to unlock modifications for the weapon/armor in question, so early on you're better off scrapping like a madman to unlock ways to improve your gear. The scrapper perk (int card) gives you more materials from scrapping weapons/armor also, although in most cases you're just getting wood/steel/leather.

There is a noob backpack (small backpack) you can get for free if you do the responder quests I think. I forget what it adds carry weight wise, but it isn't much.

The good backpack is related to the wilderness scouts. Near Grafton Dam is a wilderness scout camp called Camp Lewis. I forget the level, but its not high. Maybe 10 or 20? Talk to the Mr. Handy scout leader there and he'll get you started. I think you have to first demonstrate 4 virtues (they are different activities, like reviving a player for instance), then you have to earn 3 tadpole badges in order to become a possum scout. To earn badges, you have to do challenges (look under the challenges tab, then world, then look for the Order of the Tadpole challenges...they're kind of a pain in the ass, but if you are playing with your son, then some won't be as bad...like the ones where you have to revive a player. just have you guys alternate downing yourself with your own grenades or jumping off high buildings and swap revives). When you become a possum scout, you automatically learn the plans to make a backpack. The good thing is the backpacks can be crafted by level. There is a backpack level for every 10 levels up to 50. The 50 backpack gives you +60 carry weight by default and you can earn modifications to enhance it (armor plated, extra carry weight, drug weight reduction, etc). I use the drug weight reduction mod I learned from the raiders after beating the main story quest in wastelanders...reduces drug weight by 90% (basically a free rank 3 walking pharmacy card).

Some of the challenges are pretty hard to do, like first aid (because it requires stimpack difussers, which are rare drops from a level 50 event you have to do perfectly and people rarely do). Archer is pretty easy...it involves crossbows and shooting shit/repairing crossbows. Athlete isnt horrible...you mostly have to run some obstacle courses in game and some are timed, but they aren't super difficult save for the ski one (because its full of traps and shit lol). Keep in mind for athlete, the new river gorge challenge -isnt- the treetop obstacle course which is super hard, it's a race across the actual highway bridge (you'll find a table with paper cups on it and a device that starts the timer for the run). Swimmer isn't super hard if you are playing with someone (revive someone in the water is probably the hardest). Hacker is fairly easy, but you need to be high level to complete that (hacker 3 perk is level locked, and the final challenge is launching a nuke from a silo, which is a high level affair). Also for each tadpole challenge, there is a computer at the camp where you have to get a perfect score on a quiz for the respective badge. Most of the questions are real life trivia, but they sprinkled in a few Fallout lore themed questions where the answers are in line with that (communism is evil in all forms, nuclear energy is harmless, etc).

Side note, backpacks can't be worn in power armor, so you lose their effect like you lose the effect for normal armor you might be wearing.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So yeah, fun game, def has the Fallout vibe. Never played it at launch so cant comment on that but right now its not bad. The world is awesome and exploring and adventuring is on a another level reminds me a bit of skirims world. Yeah its that massive.

There is just a few major flaws they need to fix before it gets even better. Namely the micro management bullshit, the diseases and drinking and food, and spoiled food after a hour or two, it just gets tiresome after a while. Second is the encumbered bullshit. Yeah that shit has to go. You go out on 1-2 missions, junk everything at the crafting stations, and still encumbered up the ass. They need to double that shit at least. I know im not "end game yet" but if they cant hook people from the start then there will be no end game for them. Its just too much micro management, what to keep, shit broken, what to scrap, oh shit I scrapped it all then my main 1-2 weapon breaks and shit like that. The damn pip boy interface does not hep either. Like why does the last man standing mode have colored loot but not the pve? That would go a long way to help distinguish loot I see the next major patch will deal with the food and effects, but I see no mention of the weight restrictions which is a major PITA. We keep on moving our damn hoses around close to where we fought just to scrap shit and keep from being weighed down with shit. And its not like you can do without the pack rat shit because everything in this game revolves around crafting with those components. At least at the low levels when you dont have cash.

Then there is the crafting bases you can set up and its rife with griefers. Every time me and my kid plopped down some shit to mine stuff from those nodes, here comes Jhonny vault76, lv289, with his BFG+12 to one shot us. And then you end up losing caps for dying to this faggot? Which brings me to my other point why is the PvP in this game in adventure mode not normalized?

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Cybsled

Oh, you mean the workshops? Ya, that is one of the "forced" PVP aspects they haven't gotten rid of yet. So basically when you capture the workstation, you become PVP flagged for the duration of the capture so long as you remain in range. Once the capture ends, the PVP flag is dropped unless you are engaged in PVP. However, they can choose to try to steal the base from you, which flags them. The one good thing about workshops is the quests associated with capture and defense award you a ton of base building plans, so it's worth it just for that. Plus if you build anything in the work shop spot, if the materials are colored green, that means they are the free materials you get with the workshop and aren't coming from your private stash amounts.

I don't see much PVP for workshops beyond the high demand ones, like the ammo factory or the guys farming the high demand resources like lead or acid. But the raider faction Ally reward is an ammo machine for your private camp, so I don't even see many people bothering with ammo factory anymore.

A high level jacking it is a dick move to be sure, though. Plus I'm sure he was running some overpowered shit like bloodied legendary build which will one shot most people because the balance for PVP outside of Nuclear Winter mode is 100% broken and part of the reason they dropped the survival mode servers.

j00t

i played up to about lvl 100 and i NEVER ran into any pvp at the workshops. i avoided them at first because i abhor pvp and want no part of it. but then i saw you can get plans for setting up shop there and defending it so i thought i'd try it out. i started building all kinds of crazy defenses, covering the workshop thing itself in a barrier of concrete walls. i thought, even if they kill me, they won't actually be able to reach it to take it from me.

then i noticed that no one ever seemed to care. sometimes people would show up to help defend (anyone who participates in a defense gets the rewards as well) and then leave. they never even looted the nodes. just showed up, waved, then left.

obviously this is an online game and there are trolls and griefers out there, but i've noticed that the people who play, REALLY want more people to play. the community, for the most part, seems really pretty good

Cybsled

Ya, I haven't run into too many trolls. They exist, but mostly people are chill. Beware of "trap houses" though. There's a building glitch where you can make a base underground and the way you get inside is by using a partially sunk guitar base item. I tried that once and after I got off the guitar, I fell into a pit lined with spikes and flame throwers and tesla coils and a locked door. Even if you could unlock the door in time, it flagged you for PVP and the guy would murder you once the door opened. Stole all my dropped junk lol

I kind of knew it was a trap house because he had a sign saying "bloodied and junkies weapons!", which are the two most OP builds, but I was still curious lol

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Happened to us 3 times in one night across 3 different servers. And it was a junk yard somewhere we wanted to set up to farm some screws and other shit to craft our handmade. I think there was an acid node there too. And its not like they came in to take the camp from us to set up their own, it was just to grief. One dude we almost took down, he was a lv 130 something, but both of us almost took him down so he stimmed up ran away then like a min later his buddy and him showed up. Yeah 2 lv 100+ to take down the powerful lv 27s, lol. The other 2 times was some power armored up dudes with gatling guns spraying some nasty 1 hit shit.

I don't even mind the PVP, its like whatever, you spawn right there no loss, but then I noticed I was losing like 30 caps per death so I was like WTF? Nice Bethesda! 30 caps is a bunch at lv 25ish.

Cybsled

Screws and acid are valuable items, so they were just lazy dicks. If I want screws, I just go to a location that spawns lots of desk fans and scrap all those.

j00t

Build up some atoms by doing the daily/weekly challenges and buy the scrap bot. I think it's 500? But you can set it to get junk or scrap. It's honestly pretty invaluable since he'll get screws, acid, nuclear material, etc. You can only have one per camp, but you can also put one in any of your workshops. Builds up your capital in the background without actually having to scavange