Fallout - New Vegas

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I've been looking for survival type games for a while and played a couple (modded minecraft, don't starve) that scratched the itch. I was wondering if anyone around here played any FO:NV mod that improved the survival aspect of it. Any mod that "hunting", cooking, scavenging, crafting (ammo or other) more meaningful would be good for example.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've been looking for survival type games for a while and played a couple (modded minecraft, don't starve) that scratched the itch. I was wondering if anyone around here played any FO:NV mod that improved the survival aspect of it. Any mod that "hunting", cooking, scavenging, crafting (ammo or other) more meaningful would be good for example.
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/1096...ted-to-v5.html

J.E. Sawyers mod was excellent.

Wasteland 2 cannot come any sooner.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I installed JSawyer (thanks for the tip) with Fook. Any idea why JSawyer cuts the XP gain and raises XP requirements by like 2/3s (not sure if cumulative or if I am reading the changelog exactly right, but it's something big)? It seems a bit drastic. Was the leveling really that fast in vanilla? Allocating skill points and choosing perks is half the reason I play fallout games.

Also installed some GFX mods and wondering if anyone knows of compatible mods I might like to add to the list. I have:
Project Reality
Enhanced Shaders (ENB)
NMC texture pack
PocoBueno texture pack
Interior Lighting Overhaul
NVInteriors (not really GFX but a lot of gfx mods can be compatible and enhance this one)

I wanted to install Nevada Skies but am worried about the weather part clashing with P. Reality. And the latest update indicates said something about not being able to turn off weathers anymore.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I installed JSawyer (thanks for the tip) with Fook. Any idea why JSawyer cuts the XP gain and raises XP requirements by like 2/3s (not sure if cumulative or if I am reading the changelog exactly right, but it's something big)? It seems a bit drastic. Was the leveling really that fast in vanilla? Allocating skill points and choosing perks is half the reason I play fallout games.
It was impossible to play through the main content without maxxing your level, which takes a fair amount of the fun out of side quests etc.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It was impossible to play through the main content without maxxing your level, which takes a fair amount of the fun out of side quests etc.
With the vanilla game it was somewhat of a problem, but there's no reason to mess with the xp with the GOTY edition. In my last playthrough, I hit level 50 with nothing but Lonesome Road and maybe 10% of the vanilla content left to do (~120 hours according to my savefile, though I suspect that's somewhat inflated).

J.E. Sawyer's mod reduces xp because he changed the vanilla level cap to 15 and each DLC still adds +5 for 35 total. I assume his reasoning for doing so was to cut down on the total amount of skill points, hp, etc. you end up with. Personally, I think his mod looks far superior to the others of that type on paper, but I've never gotten to try it because I was in the middle of a playthrough when he released it.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Just realized Sawyer's mod actually works with the core of PN and probably the guns/armor/implants stuff. It probably just clashes with PN's rebalance module. I wonder if I can take FOOK out and install PN on my current save.

With the vanilla game it was somewhat of a problem, but there's no reason to mess with the xp with the GOTY edition. In my last playthrough, I hit level 50 with nothing but Lonesome Road and maybe 10% of the vanilla content left to do (~120 hours according to my savefile, though I suspect that's somewhat inflated).

J.E. Sawyer's mod reduces xp because he changed the vanilla level cap to 15 and each DLC still adds +5 for 35 total. I assume his reasoning for doing so was to cut down on the total amount of skill points, hp, etc. you end up with. Personally, I think his mod looks far superior to the others of that type on paper, but I've never gotten to try it because I was in the middle of a playthrough when he released it.
I didn't see the level cap was reduced. I hate that
frown.png
Is it a hard cap? I did install some content mods (A world of pain for example) so I should be getting more XP overall as I tend to explore everything.

I just like to ding!

frown.png

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I realize this is a huge necro, but I never played NV after being so completely and utterly disappointed with Bethesda's effort with FO3. I'm still not convinced I'll like NV (a hybridized FPS/RPG isnotFallout, in my eyes), but after all the recommendations and stories in the FO4 thread, I figured it was time to finally give this a shot. I purchased the GOTY edition on Steam a while back for $5, or something equally as cheap. So, I'm curious as to what mods are "required". I'm mostly looking for stuff that makes the game more "Fallouty", or stuff that improves stupid QOL decisions that developers always make.

Caliane

I realize this is a huge necro, but I never played NV after being so completely and utterly disappointed with Bethesda's effort with FO3. I'm still not convinced I'll like NV (a hybridized FPS/RPG isnotFallout, in my eyes), but after all the recommendations and stories in the FO4 thread, I figured it was time to finally give this a shot. I purchased the GOTY edition on Steam a while back for $5, or something equally as cheap. So, I'm curious as to what mods are "required". I'm mostly looking for stuff that makes the game more "Fallouty", or stuff that improves stupid QOL decisions that developers always make.
nice bump. was the same. I was pretty "meh" on FO3. was ok. hated subways so much, and a good amount of the wilderness. And passed on all the DLC. Plan A was to skip FO4 for a while, and grab NV given everyone in the FO4 thread insisting NV was so much better then vanilla fo3.
granted plan A fell through, and I caved on buying FO4 ha. But I am curious on NV still too.

Troll_sl

shitlord
I think the setting in FO4 is a great middle-ground between FO3 and FNV. Lots of overland stuff, but plenty of urban jungle as well.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I've been playing NV for a while recently. My biggest complaints have been the way that most of the add-ons lock you inside until you're finished, and how I have a seriously hard time finding a decent knock-down, drag-out battle in the vanilla world in my 30s and 40s. And it's not just a difficulty issue I think, it's also one of numbers.

Sometimes I kind of wish the XP from killing was like 5%-10% of what it is, and that spawnpoints would spit out like double or triple the number of mobs that they do. I wonder if the reason they said "fuck it" and took the level cap away in FO4 was in part due to people capping out in FO3/NV. I took some XP penalties, IIRC, and I still have absolutely no problem leveling.

I hate that in NV, the Raider archetype ends up making you feel like you're killing rats EQ1 at level 60. I felt that way in FO3 too. Which is sad because I get bored with Deathclaws and there aren't really that many mutants on Black Mountain (and they aren't all that difficult either). The only time I've recently had any "OH SHIT OH FUCK OH SHIT" moments was when I was in the Big MT, and I'd agro like 8-10 Nightstalkers at once. If it wasn't for bad pathing around all of the pipes I'd have had a lot of deaths. But then I finish that addon and go back to vanilla, and I'm just sleepwalking through shit. I read somewhere that the mobs in the addon were tuned to be more difficult than they otherwise would be, and that was super evident when I left.

I'm not sure about Mods though. Need one of the resident Mod-whores like Tuco to chime in.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I have had New Vegas sitting in my Steam Library for years. Everyone says it is probably the best Fallout of them all. I was thinking this weekend, that I will mod-up all the graphics and finally take a run through the game. I spent an hour trying to figure out how to mod the thing before I gave up. It isn't like Skyrim, where you just pick the mods you want in Steam and you are all set. You have to go to third party sites, edit ini files, download mod manger programs, etc. It was way too bullshit intensive for me and I gave up.

Feelsbadman.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It isn't like Skyrim, where you just pick the mods you want in Steam and you are all set. You have to go to third party sites, edit ini files, download mod manger programs, etc.

Otherwise known as modding.

There are limitations to steam workshop and it's only useful for superficial mods. If you want to actually mod a game to full-effect, you need to put in the effort. Yeah, it's a PITA and daunting, and often causes people to not revisit games just due to the weight of it all, but it's the price you pay for the freedom it affords.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
Just use the Nexus mod manager. It's clunky but it works fine if you don't go overboard.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
So, I have had New Vegas sitting in my Steam Library for years. Everyone says it is probably the best Fallout of them all. I was thinking this weekend, that I will mod-up all the graphics and finally take a run through the game. I spent an hour trying to figure out how to mod the thing before I gave up. It isn't like Skyrim, where you just pick the mods you want in Steam and you are all set. You have to go to third party sites, edit ini files, download mod manger programs, etc. It was way too bullshit intensive for me and I gave up.

Feelsbadman.

Go to Nexus Mod; they have a program named Nexus Mod Manager that allows you to enable/disable each mod from a handy little HUD. It is great for mass loading, loading in a specific order, or turning off mods one by one to find which one is crashing your game. I've been using it since FO3 and Witcher 1.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I recently got an itch to go through NV again but I don’t think I can invest the time before RD2 comes out. Still the best Fallout though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You really don't need to mod the shit out of NV if it's your first playthrough because it's a complete game, just buggy as shit. Get Mission Mojave (the big community bug fix) and maybe browse for some QoL looking mods and you're good to go.