Fallout - New Vegas

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I played and beat NV with no mods when it first came out. I agree with Gavin - it’s fine without mods.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i haven't ever modded new vegas, but i assume it's a lot like modding witcher 3. you CAN mod it, but you absolutely don't need to. there are some QoL mods out there, i'm sure, but you aren't missing anything if you don't mod it.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
There's some graphical improvements that will help make it not seem so dated visually. That and inventory management is mostly what I'd recommend.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
But the whole point of Bethesda games is to mod them til they break!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
But the whole point of Bethesda games is to mod them til they break!

It's not a Bethesda game.

I absolutely cannot imagine playing NV without Mission Mojave. I think the bug fix count is over 27000? It's basically the equivalent of the extra dev time/polishing pass that NV badly needed but never got.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Saw this thread pop up and thought what the hell, lets give it another go. Got Nexus Mod Manager, loaded Mission Mojave and it's been smooth. Any recommendations on borderless window mods? Base game crashes every time i alt tab.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1596470807760.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I have never played a Fallout Game. I own, 3, 4 and Vegas. If I were to only ever play one Fallout game which one should I start with?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd do 3, then New Vegas. NV broadens the game substantially and dong it the other way around will feel restrictive. Some people don't like 3 much but I like 3's world building, got some nice locations and I think it captures the "lone wanderer in an empty post-apocalyptic wasteland" atmosphere really well.

I didn't particularly care for 4, it all felt a bit too locked down for me. 3 and NV are a bit more like elder scrolls open world games.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you're only playing one, New Vegas. The others aren't even remotely close.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Talos

I have never played a Fallout Game. I own, 3, 4 and Vegas. If I were to only ever play one Fallout game which one should I start with?
If you're really only playing one then NV. Otherwise just play them in order.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
NV the only one to consider there. The writing and design are on an entirely different level to FO3/4. It's FO3, but better in every way.

It also has some of the best mods of any game I have run across.

FO4 has... better graphics I guess ?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
And even though it's a hassle, I'd still play with mods, if only the unofficial patches.

• 1Like

Talos

I'd also recommend a vanilla + unofficial patch playthrough first. Save heavy modding for a second run after you get an idea of what you want to change/add.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Just make sure you have the 3 dlcs for NV as they are really well designed and integrated into the overall story

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Will I enjoy NV more if I play 3 first?

reavor reavor I have all the DLCs for NV, I bought a sale bundle for it at some point in the last few years. Oddly I just own the base game for 3 (no DLC).

yabbayabba

Peasant
Will I enjoy NV more if I play 3 first?

reavor reavor I have all the DLCs for NV, I bought a sale bundle for it at some point in the last few years. Oddly I just own the base game for 3 (no DLC).

No, it's pretty unconnected. 3 and 4 have a closer connection between them. NV has the better story though.

3 probably has the better skills and perks system though. They started to screw with it in NV and went full retard with it in 4.

Dude has a lot of lore videos on Fallout and Elder Scrolls if interested.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fallout 2 is the best Fallout. After that, Fallout 1, then New Vegas. Fallout 3 and 4 need mods to even get them to mediocre levels. For New Vegas I think the unofficial fan made patch fixed the left over bugs, and a few of the GFX upscale mods wont change anything about the story or add anything out of place.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Will I enjoy NV more if I play 3 first

NV is on par with 3 in terms of mechanics and graphics, so 3 might make NV feel “samey” in terms of how it plays.

Certain mechanics in 4 might spoil you as well - power armor in 4 is actual power armor, not just regular armor you slap on your character like in 3/NV

• 1Like