Fallout - New Vegas

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Also, FO4 has this whole base building stuff that you do throughout the game, that just eats up a lot of time and energy, because its really clunky. Oh and the story was pretty bad

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Base building was my favorite part of FO4. Couple bases I made with no mods used

1712954048041.jpeg

1712954099720.jpeg

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Oldbased

> Than U
If you have Prime, NV Fallout is free on Luna meaning you can play on your TV. Haven't set it up yet but going to this week and try it out.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you have Prime, NV Fallout is free on Luna meaning you can play on your TV. Haven't set it up yet but going to this week and try it out.
Luna will prevent you from using any mods, so it's much better to spend the $5 while it's on sale and get it on Steam. Even if you don't want to dive into the deep end of modding, the unofficial bug fix pack (currently called Yukichigai Unofficial Patch - YUP) is an absolute must-have. I'd go a step further and say that the guide at Viva New Vegas should always be followed too, since it includes fixes for crashing and other things that require patching the exe and not just modifying the game data.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Luna will prevent you from using any mods, so it's much better to spend the $5 while it's on sale and get it on Steam. Even if you don't want to dive into the deep end of modding, the unofficial bug fix pack (currently called Yukichigai Unofficial Patch - YUP) is an absolute must-have. I'd go a step further and say that the guide at Viva New Vegas should always be followed too, since it includes fixes for crashing and other things that require patching the exe and not just modifying the game data.
Thanks for the info. I may go both routes, one so I can play the best version and the other so I can play in bed.
I've only ever played the bunker version of Fallout ( think it was called Fallout Shelter ) and Fallout 4

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fallout 2 is the best Fallout. After that, Fallout 1, then New Vegas. Fallout 3 and 4 need mods to even get them to mediocre levels. For New Vegas I think the unofficial fan made patch fixed the left over bugs, and a few of the GFX upscale mods wont change anything about the story or add anything out of place.
Was going to say this.

I played this shit out of Fallout 2. The "modern" ones were fine. New Vegas obviously being the best of em, but things like VATS just don't work on what looks like a first person shooter. I apparently only put 3.8 hours into Fallout 4, and 22 in NV (dunno about 3).

• 1Like

yabbayabba

Peasant
Base building was my favorite part of FO4. Couple bases I made with no mods used

View attachment 524481

View attachment 524482
Could never get the patience to get everything to line up correctly. I just had one of the mods that allowed you to junk everything, then built concrete walls around all of it and drop in some prefab houses. Those ungrateful shits should be happy I'm doing that much for them while single handily saving Boston.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
To anyone new to modding, this guy's videos are pretty good. I recommend MO2 over Vortex.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Fallout games were always meant to be played as isometric, turn-based RPGs. I knew as soon as I saw gameplay footage from 3 that I was going to hate it and I did. While I still played 3 for a solid 20ish hours because I wanted to be immersed in the "world" again, boredom eventually set in(like it does with ALL of Bethesda's shit for me). I still have yet to play a single minute of NV, FO4 and only enjoyed FO76 because of being able to goof off with the homies in it (co-op is something I've wanted in FO since 2).

If you want real FO games, play Wasteland 2 and 3. They're the only thing that gets close to the magic of FO1+2 and it's no surprise that Fargo heads inXile.

• 2Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I remember FO4 being such a letdown

I bought it day one and gave up after a week it was so boring

I went back and played through NV three times in a row afterwards

NV is easily the best Fallout for my money

Fucker

Log Wizard
I remember FO4 being such a letdown

I bought it day one and gave up after a week it was so boring

I went back and played through NV three times in a row afterwards

NV is easily the best Fallout for my money
I reinstalled FO4 after watching the show. Crashed less than one minute in. Ahh yes, memories.

I never did make it out of the starting area in FONV because the game would crash and corrupt the saves.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I reinstalled FO4 after watching the show. Crashed less than one minute in. Ahh yes, memories.

I never did make it out of the starting area in FONV because the game would crash and corrupt the saves.
After giving up on it in 2015, I tried giving FO4 another chance in 2021. Game crashed about 30 mins in

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Well, about time I played a Fallout game myself instead of watching/hearing friends talk about it. Started a New Vegas play-through after watching the show. Not far in, I'm about to head south of Primm after doing what I could first visit.

I followed this steam guide to get started, they recommend Mod Organiser 2 over vortex/nexus auto installs.

Steam Community :: Guide :: Simple Guide to Setting up New Vegas in 2024

That got it running with the unofficial patch and crash prevention, but it was still looking it's age a bit. I went with the top 5 mods from this list to update the look but not change the feel.

Fallout New Vegas: The 21 Best Graphics Mods You Need To Install

In addition to some manual copying of textures into the directory from the NMC texture pack in 3 separate downloads

NMCs_Texture_Pack_For_New_Vegas

My final MO2 list looks like this -

1713164182976.png

I may or may not add more, but I'm happy with the changes so far, definitely feels like I'll stick with it more after giving it the new coat of paint.

Also, for any other newbies like me this table was helpful during character creation.

1713165129877.png

• 1Like

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I played the OG games, 1 and 2, to completion and loved them, but I have not gotten far into the others. I have started NV a few times but I never really get going. Weird how some games draw you in and other do not.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
One can talk all about how FO1/2 are the "true spirit of FO", neglecting the simple fact that things can be improved, and just because people had to use "isometric view" in computer games due to tech limitations back in the day is a very poor argument against the clear benefits of 3D, especially the kind of 3D tech that became widely available in the early 2000s, which allowed a far stronger position for the FO games and post-apocalypse to move into the mainstream and into the 3D realm that had mainly been occupied by fantasy RPGs until then.

Also, FO3s introduction of 1930s, 40s tunes as soundtrack was another brilliant move, music that was clearly referenced in FO1 and 2 via text, but technologically unfeasible to include as actual music in the game.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The main drawback to FO1 and 2 are simply that their UI is quite dated by modern standards. And I don't just mean the resolution, that can be fixed with many widescreen/hi res mods. It is quite clunky. These are two of the very many 90s and early 2000s games that could do with an "enhanced edition" that would fix some of the bugs, some of the clunkyness and make a few other mostly cosmetic changes, a bit like what the Baldur's Gate EE games did. Hell, imagine if someone were to do this and then add an editor into it so people could use the game assets to create their own fallout adventures. Never going to happen, I know, but it's a missed oportunity.

• 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Shame Bethesda is still Butthurt over Obsidian showing them up. Another New Vegas type game would be amazing.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users