Fancy cars

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Ok, so how old is old, like classic old, when it comes to Mercedes or BMW? I've always wanted a clean 1995 SL-500 Convertible. Should be able to get one now for around $7k. POS or classic?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ok, so how old is old, like classic old, when it comes to Mercedes or BMW? I've always wanted a clean 1995 SL-500 Convertible. Should be able to get one now for around $7k. POS or classic?
Just going to be honest here, I think it looks like complete ass. It went to the Fox Body School of Design.

That said, it is sometimes difficult to tell... however, let's look at comparably 'classic' cars from that era. Supra MK IV, RX-7 FD, pretty much the entire BMW line up, 3000 GT, MX5, etc.

When I see a '95 M3/M5 I say 'damn, that is sexy classic BMW'. When I see a '95 SL500 I have to double check if it is a late 80's Mustang.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I would estimate paying 5% of the original price of the car per year for repairs on average. I'm not familiar with Mercedes and warranties but if I were buying a used BMW I'd get one that is still under the 4 year, everything covered warranty which is transferable. Even if the car isn't 4 years old there are things that can void this warranty though, so you have to be careful.

Faris

Golden Squire
Dunno thats the R129 and I like the look, thats why I bought one. I chose a SL 280, initial repairs were somewhat more expensive, but I had quite alot of little shit done so it was like 2000? or so (which I knew when I bought the car). Afterwards its kinda 1000? average per year in repairs so far. I cannot say what that translates over to in the US. However 5% is quite far off at least in my case so far.
All repairs were done by professionals and always used brand new parts to repair.