Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
Dumbledore is around 40 at this time of the movie. He lived to be around 110 or something.

Also, I think the implication is that Dumbledore was gay for Grindlewald, but Grindlewald may not have been gay for Dumbledore.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Saw this earlier tonight, thought it was pretty good. Can't fucking believe they plan to turn this into FIVE movies though.

5 movies could be done OK. I assume next movie is more Newt & Co. adventures and introduce young Dumbledore. Then the next one could be more Dumbledore/Grindelwald relationship-centric, concluding with the last two being the Wizard War. Cause when Newt mentioned what he was doing during WWI, I want to see a Wizard war movie.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Movie was very good, though we lost about 10min of audio near the end so missed a little bit of backstory/plot. Got free tickets at least. Was a bit surprised at how dark it got at some points. Not sure how this gets turned into 5 movies, but I definitely will go see whatever they end up making.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Saw this and it was quite good, definitely did a lot of world-building of 1920s Wizarding in the USA. Worth noting that it did so in a way that was very clear to one of my moviegoing compatriots who had never before seen a Harry Potter movie nor read the books.

In addition we will now be having apple strudel at thanksgiving as a direct result of this movie...

*edit* So apparently this is the only one that is set in the USA? In this case it feels like they could have done more to explore the Wizarding World of America.

Last edited:

Brikker

Trump's Staff
so how heavy are they going to go with the homo Dumbledore considering the young-adult/kid/teen target audience?

Caliane

Saw this and it was quite good, definitely did a lot of world-building of 1920s Wizarding in the USA. Worth noting that it did so in a way that was very clear to one of my moviegoing compatriots who had never before seen a Harry Potter movie nor read the books.

In addition we will now be having apple strudel at thanksgiving as a direct result of this movie...

*edit* So apparently this is the only one that is set in the USA? In this case it feels like they could have done more to explore the Wizarding World of America.
Strudel or Streusel?

Streusel, aka Apple Crisp is super american. First known instance is 1924. (Apple streusel, specifically, you can make other kinds of streusel)

Strudel is a layered pastry. German.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Thought I was the only one. I groaned multiple times, and thought it was slow, pacing was terrible, Newt had Autism or something and the Black chick must have had a 4ft dick up her ass to be so uptight. Also the CGI was terrible and looked like something out of a D-Rated Knockoff of a Chinese knockoff. Also the fat muggle needed to die in the first scene, was not funny or cute. 0/5

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
So i'm going to probably be in the minority here but I went into this with the idea that was a "mixed" review movie and at best I would think it's a decent movie worth a matinee price.

However... I was extremely surprised and felt this was one of the best stories I've ever seen in a movie. For years, I felt like the hero and his destiny was so predictably packaged in nearly every movie i've seen for years. Newt just seemed like just "some guy" that happened to be in the center of a much bigger story but you found yourself rooting for him and loving his character. All the surrounding characters were really well done as well. CGI was definitely a little lacking but not horrible. Felt they could have done the entire dance/night club scene better. The CGI in that scene was Lucas Special Edition worthy but it was such a small part of the movie I forgot about it quickly.

What I really like about the movie was how much I enjoyed the story and I felt like it really had little to do with the larger story being told. It was as if this story just kicked over a few stones and now we know what's going on. I honesty don't see how the movies going forward can be as likable or as well done as this one. With Depp's involvement and possibly forcing some of the fan service I really think this movie needs to just stand on it's own instead of stretching 5 movies out of this story. I think they should take a page out of Star War's book and just capture random stories out of the universe instead of making another epic series.

I have tons of questions of how this is going to movie forward and what is intended to be the climatic point of this new series but either way, this particular movie was incredible. Eddie Redmayne made the movie and deserves a lot of credit for whatever good press it receives.

taimaishoo

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have tons of questions of how this is going to movie forward and what is intended to be the climatic point of this new series but either way, this particular movie was incredible. Eddie Redmayne made the movie and deserves a lot of credit for whatever good press it receives.

The climax is going to be the duel between Dumbledore and Grindlewald.

Caliane

Thought I was the only one. I groaned multiple times, and thought it was slow, pacing was terrible, Newt had Autism or something and the Black chick must have had a 4ft dick up her ass to be so uptight. Also the CGI was terrible and looked like something out of a D-Rated Knockoff of a Chinese knockoff. Also the fat muggle needed to die in the first scene, was not funny or cute. 0/5
overall enjoyed this.

these two points are actually what I came here to point out.

I did like Jack the Muggle. But, Newt as a main character was a bit offputting. Constantly weird faces and mannerisms. CGI did really stand out many times as bad. Especially the interactions with people. More then a few times, the CGI very clearly did not match what the actors were doing. When petting Frank at the end. his hand is missing the neck by inches... When first interacting with the snakebirds, again, his hands are not remotely making the correct motions or shape to be holding the cgi snakebird.

Lisbeth Lestrange will presumably the connection to extend this, and newts connection to Dark Wizards, and Grindlwald.

This movie itself, is a bit disjointed. Two unrelated narratives. And its not as if they even come together at the end. Even at the end.. its still two unrelated narratives. But, Newt+friends, just happen to be in the right place. Imagine we didn't have the Colin ferral point of view scenes. Everyone would be just scratching their heads.

I think this one was also even worse with, "how the fuck does magic work in this world?" instant teleports left and right. 100% effective illusion/transformation spells.(didnt they need pottages potion?) casting, vs not casting, wand vs no wand. white magic attack spells.

Also yes, it was Strudel, not streusel. I am dissappointed.

Last edited:

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
probably safe to assume if you liked the HP movies you'll like this

My daughter loves all things potter much more than the wife or I, and she hates this movie with a burning passion. She's 20, so you can't even say its cause she's a kid. She's in a fucking twitter war right now (or maybe facebook) over how bad this movie is. I will be hearing her rant about this for a week I think.

Wife and I both liked it. I think this might be better than any of the potter movies. If it's not, it's at least on par and is better than some of them.

Last edited:

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Potter 3 was the only legit great one. The rest had their moments I guess.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw this tonight. It was acceptable, but I didn't love it. I'll give it a D. I think my daughter would enjoy it when she gets a little older, but that's the extent of it. I think my biggest problem with the movie was the overuse of magic just for the sake of having magic.

I mean, they use it to set the table and shit, when you could easily carry the dishes the 4 feet it would be from the cabinet to the table. It was just thrown in your face. Also the freakish half black goblin singer girl. What the fuck? Why are you spraying magic out of your hands while singing? Stop that shit. We get it, you're magic.

Also, the interaction with the magic animals was bad. You can tell that Marvel does something to give the CGI a tactile response. They literally had this guy just miming shit then they CGI'd fake animals in. Give him a green stick or something to hold at least. Just something to portray a sense of touch. He wasn't good with "faking" petting something that wasn't actually there.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
You guys ok with 20s wizard America having facist "racial" purity laws with no muggle/wizard relationships akin to what Voldemort would have? Oh and horrific executions?

I get that 20s America was actually like that, but if it's a theme I expect the good guys to fight it and not just go along with it without question. It wasn't pleasant to watch and jarred with the pretty animals theme, I wasn't in the mindset for it - I wanted an adventure.

It's like setting the next Narnia film in Auswitz and the kids climb out of the wardrobe at the end to continue living in the camp while one of them takes the blame and goes to the gas chamber for an action scene.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I see your point and hadn't even thought of that. Very true. And Farrell was much better in Total Recall. The big surprise was the Depp appearance as he played almost another version of Captain Jack Sparrow.