Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

Siliconemelons

The thing that really bugs the shit out of me about the entire HP world is the magic... we have SCHOOLS for it, yet really there are no rules... or the stated rules are almost always negated by things later - you have to say the word/incantation, but later you see people just flipping magic zaps out no problem. If things are just learn this, do this - then book worms like herominie would be gods. Why are literally ALL the adults totally useless at keeping their world in somewhat of an order.

Why do we have insanely dangerous wizard games and then are like QQ someone died in them and act completely shocked! And why does everyone thing events from... what 9 years ago HAPPEND LIKE SO LONG AGO ITS ALL MYTH!!!

Why cant people explain situations like normal humans? Everyone is in shock when someone BAD does something BAD! So the magic world was a big giant hippy commune until lord voldy showed up?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty sure the casting spells without speaking thing is explained in the books, pretty sure I remember the wife explaining that to me(its just something else that takes practice), but its been a little while so I'm a little hazy on some things. Like since you mentioned the lack of rules, there are three "unforgiveable curses" and Harry Potter himself uses the cruciatus curse on bellatrix and there are no repercussions for it/its just glossed over.

I don't think wizards thought it was all a myth, they knew and believed voldemort was real, but many wizards believed his return to be a myth because they thought he was dead and returning from the dead was not possible even in the wizarding world to people's knowledge. Harry of course returns from the dead later with the resurrection stone, but wizards believed the deathly hallows were a fairy tale.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure the casting spells without speaking thing is explained in the books, pretty sure I remember the wife explaining that to me(its just something else that takes practice), but its been a little while so I'm a little hazy on some things. Like since you mentioned the lack of rules, there are three "unforgiveable curses" and Harry Potter himself uses the cruciatus curse on bellatrix and there are no repercussions for it/its just glossed over.
I'm pretty sure all you'd have to do is show a clip of Helena Bonham Carter speaking or doing pretty much anything and Harry would be given special dispensation for casting whatever the fuck he wants at her. Or am I the only one that can't fucking stand her?

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Also the whole setting was spawned by a book written for kids in the 8 - 12 age bracket. There's only so much you can do to try and reach internal consistency at that point, even if she did a pretty good job at ageing the books up with the readerbase on a lot of other counts. You just have to accept that a certain suspension of disbelief is the price of entry.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Non verbal casting is a skill good wizards develop? like saying it in your mind.

If anyone watch Bleach anime it has a similar thing where doing the spell without the words lessens the strength.

Its also in D&D where you just need more power to do it

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
It's been years since I've read them, but I remember the whole non-verbal casting thing is explained pretty comprehensively in the books. I don't think the movies touched on it much if at all, though, and they skipped over a host of other things that are satisfactorily detailed in the books. In short, if you liked the movies, read the books.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
just got to take a feat in Silentspell. and memorize the spell in one teir higher.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Caught it last night with el wife in IMAX, was pretty pleased with it - for the start of a new character and new series they didn't waste a ton of time on introduction, let you learn as you go rather than wasting time on origin which would've dragged it down.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saw this earlier tonight, thought it was pretty good. Can't fucking believe they plan to turn this into FIVE movies though.

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Most of my family is Potter fanatics and every one of them said this movie was more than they could have hoped for, most of us are skeptics with a cash grab bias. Eagerly looking forward to it but it will have to wait till Thanksgiving day for me.
Seems like, from what I am gathering, they set the basic table with this movie, are going to expand the storyline majorly next movie, and go from there. Apparently the storyline was expanded upon in a big way once the initial good reaction from preliminary screenings came in.

• 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
8/10 Enjoyed this a lot. Must see for anybody that liked the Potter books. It was very entertaining for an intro movie, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of these movies a lot more than I was the Potter movies since we don't know much of this story. I expect this is going to be all about Dumbledore and Grindlewald and that's why 5 movies are planned. If that's not the point of these i'm going to be very disappointed. Dumbledore is not in this movie, hopefully will be in the next. Will be interesting to see who they get to play him.

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Sorry as I think I should know this but what would be Dumbledore's age at this point and how much of his life are they expecting to cover?

I would imagine they would try to keep him youthful enough to keep a different actor in place without getting Michael Gambon involved but who knows... Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee did well throughout their years and Gandalf is still going strong.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
I'm just speculating since Grindlewald is clearly going to be the main villain and we know Dumbledore defeats him (and was best friends with him growing up), could be I'm wrong. I just read that this first movie takes place about 20 years before Dumbledore defeats him though (which doesn't happen until 1945 since it seems the wizard wars parallel the world wars), so if it's going to cover that story arc the 5 movies would have to cover that span. Dumbledore would have to be in hits 20's or so in the time period of this first movie, though maybe they'll just look for a big name English actor anywhere in that 25-45 years old range.

Actually just found this blurb that confirms Dumbledore will be in the next movie but only a couple scenes.. meh. They're still looking for an actor.

Dumbledore will magically appear in ‘Fantastic Beasts' sequel