Fantasy Football 2014 Advice Thread!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Had my first draft last night. I was 8th in a 14 man league. First few rounds went like this for me.
1st. Megatron
2nd. L.Bell
3rd. Julius Thomas
4th. Roddy White
5th Shane Vereen
6th Tom Brady
7th Kendell Wright

The rest of my team.. Deangelo Williams, H. Nicks, J. Locker, D. Bailey and Saints D. I have 2 extra players I can still pickup. I have some long shots I'm considering. Who's your hidden gems!?

I think overall, I have a decent team considering. The only pick I was torn on was between Bell and Monty Ball. I felt like Bell would get more touches overall tho..

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't actually used this yet, but this guy spent a lot of time making a webtool where you enter all your rules and variables and it gives you some optimal choices or some shit. I dunno how good it is but it sounds pretty dope.

I've spent the last few weeks creating a web tool called SmartCheatsheet. It allows you to create custom cheatsheets tailored to your leagues that include tons of data and metrics pulled from a variety of sources. It's totally free and I'm just looking for feedback. : fantasyfootball

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel weird that I'd lean to the first two over AP. It just feels wrong.

I think McCoy is hard to pass up in that offense. He had almost 300 more rushing yards than 2nd(Forte) last year. He feels more consistent than Charles. And his workload might go up a bit this year without Desean in town.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think AP is at that point where people rather get off the train a year early than own him the year he gets old... Not to say that will happen. I think AP will be fine but in a ppr league the other 2 are safer picks.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd probably go AP but they are all potentially going to fuck you. McCoy has the biggest upside if the system fires on all cylindersANDhe can stay healthy. With AP you just have to expect him to be AP again and hope his career isn't about to tank.

Didn't see PPR so I guess that changes it a bit.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
For me, when I have the #1 pick it is about minimizing risks. I want to make sure I get solid reliable points from the pick, usually AP fits that bill. In PPR McCoy fits that bill as well, you are basically gambling on health when choosing between the two. I would say AP is the safer pick, McCoy is the higher upside pick.

I think of it this way, leagues are never won in the first round of the draft, but leagues can be lost by trying to be cute.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Anyone who plays PPR should be shot.

It was an auction league with $200. I spent 60 on McCoy and 57 on Megatron. Another got Charles for 67 and some douchenozzle paid 75 for AP lol.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I believe I will be able to choose 2 out of 5 listed here. Who would you go with? (couple of parameters... 1 RB, 2 WR, 2 WR/TE League with me keeping Brees Lacy and Dez from last season)

Golden Tate, Cordarrelle Patterson, TY Hilton, Jordan Cameron, Michael Floyd

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tate and....probably Hilton. Cameron is stuck in Cleveland and Floyd is in Arizona. Both are on shaky teams in divisions with pretty stout defenses, plus Floyd has the groin thing. Patterson is unproven and in Minnesota.

Yeah I think you just go with the most proven QB's in this situation, Tate with Stafford and Hilton with Luck. Everyone says Tate is going to get a big boost playing alongside Megatron.

Sterling

El Presidente
Stafford is going to throw the ball like 700+ times this season. Only about half of those will be to Johnson so there's plenty left for Tate!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm just a few decisions i think a lot of us might face..who to take..
Monty ball or demarco murrary or geo Bernard?
Aj green or Brandon Marshall
Jimmy graham or marshan lynch
Jordy Nelson or Antonio brown?

Just some ones That keep popping for me on mock drafts

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jimmy Graham over Lynch easily. Beef Moe might get you 1-2 points per game over whoever else you might get at RB. Jimmy Graham will be 5+ points a game ahead of the next best TE. He's honestly probably the best value pick in the game.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've seen him goes as low as 6th overall. I don't know if I could take him there. I have 7th pick and it's typically him or Calvin that fall to me. Sometimes lacy

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Graham was like 80pts ahead of the next closest TE. Way further ahead than the tops at QB/WR/RB and puts up points on par with a 5-10 RB. The spread between him and the #2 TE is about the same as the spread between the top WR and the #16 one.

Lacy would be tempting though.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
This is the first year I'll be doing a live draft, and the company someone told me about for the board (Save the Draft) is out of stock for the season. I realize I'm cutting it pretty close (draft is a week from tomorrow), but does anyone else have another recommendation of a different company they've used?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Almost any of them will have 2-3 day shipping. I'm pretty sure we ordered one fromherelast year. It was fine. This year the commish ordered one from somewhere else I think, not sure where.

One of the guys in our league told my brother he wanted to come to his house to see last year's board to "figure out the other guy's tendencies". He's been laughed at a lot for this. It's a very casual league but he's a pretty serious player who is in about 5 money leagues yearly.

Fadaar

That guy
Going #2 in my work 12 man league, normal setup (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, K, D) and picking #2. Guy going #1 plans on taking Jamaal Charles... so... AP or McCoy? I know whichever one I don't pick is going to have a monster season. I almost want to lean toward McCoy but with Sproles being there now I can see him losing yards to him, but not necessarily scores. AP though is just too damn reliable, unless he blows up his knees again.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
This is the first year I'll be doing a live draft, and the company someone told me about for the board (Save the Draft) is out of stock for the season. I realize I'm cutting it pretty close (draft is a week from tomorrow), but does anyone else have another recommendation of a different company they've used?
Use a projector and have them pick with their phones? Or they can just call it out and anyone can put the pick on the screen. It worked pretty well for my live draft last year.

Draft Board Software for Fantasy Football | Draft Night