Fantasy Football 2014 Advice Thread!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I mean, after the big three of AP/Charles/McCoy who is the next tier this year? Guys like Gore and Lynch are at the point where they're gonna fall off a cliff production-wise any day now. I can't make myself take one of them early.

Matt Forte probably comes in 4th, and honestly it should probably be a big 4 group at the top.

Eddie Lacy an Alfred Morris both treated me well and carried good YPC's last year, I'd probably put them next. Lacy first, he finds the endzone better. Washington are a bunch of cunts about letting Morris punch it in.

Ryan Matthews I don't have a ton of faith in. Too many injuries and too many options in the SD backfield. DeMarco Murray is in sort of the same camp, except instead of practical reasons holding him back it's mostly just being stuck in Dallas. Still he could be an amazing RB2.

I'm staying the fuck away from CJ Spiller. He had over 20 carries twice last year. This after we were told over and over he'd finally be the man there. He gets hurt too much and Fred Jackson is too good an option to spell him.

Seeing a lot of really high projections for Le'Veon Bell. I love the kid and his low YPC(3.5) last year was deceptive because he didn't get to run behind a decent line until the end of the year, when he was over 4 YPC. And he's pretty great receiving. But I'm thinking the people projecting him as the 5th-8th best RB might be a bit optimistic. The Steelers O-Line hasn't put together a good season since about 2007.

I'd like to like Moreno, but Denver likes to spread the ball around too much. Every time Montee Ball gets a carry I'd be pulling my hair out.

Reggie Bush...I might end up stupidly reaching on him. He was my top secret sleeper last year, was going to grab him in the 5th(I think) and the guy in front of me scooped him. I was pissed. He's not worth a reach, they like to use too many RB's, but I can't promise I won't be drunk and grab him too early because I'm thinking about last year.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Picking 5th this year. Torn between taking a top RB or Peyton. Guess will have to see who gets taken before, but im leaning towards Peyton since I got burned by Doug Martin last year.
I would not draft a QB in the first round, Peyton included. Last year, after the top 3 RB's in scoring, there were 16 players who outscored the #4 scoring RB. 5 of them were QB's. You miss out on a top flight RB you are at a severe disadvantage relative to the teams who secured those RBs early at that position. On the flip side, you miss out on a top flight QB, there are plenty of serviceable options still available to you.

My draft board for the first round (PPR) is looking like this:

1.) McCoy
2.) AP
3.) Charles
4.) Forte
5.) Lacy
6.) Megatron
7.) Graham
8.) D. Thomas
9.) Lynch
10.) Ball

Also, keep an eye on Zac Stacy. He falls, grab him. He will probably fall with the Bradford injury but outside of the brutal NFC West matchups he performed well even when Bradford was out. I don't think I would slate him as a starter but as an RB3/Flex player could be a steal.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The draft I did was a 14 man and Peyton went like 12 I think? I took Megatron at 8 and grabbed Leveon Bell on the way back. I ended up getting Tom Brady with my 7 round pick. IMO that was a fucking steal and I think he's going to have a huge year. Maybe not like Peyton, but I'm glad I didn't jump on Manning so early with all the QB's falling this year. Seems like Peyton, Brees and Rodgers go early and the rest sit for 5+ rounds. You can't argue taking the guy early but there are some quality QBs left at the later rounds.

Btw.. Anyone doing big drafts like a 14 team, there are some late round stashes worth considering at RB and WR since they dry up pretty fast. I came out short at RB's. I have Bell, Vareen and D. Williams. I picked up Shawn Green and Ahmad Bradshaw after the draft. I think Bradshaw is being overlooked in just about every league but he was running great last year until he got hurt and Richardson is still a huge question mark in Indy. Bradshaw could easily take the number 1 spot there.

patrick

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Was pleasantly surprised when AP fell to me at #5. Grabbed him real quick. Peyton went first overall in my draft. Think it was Charles, McCoy, and then Megatron. Just hope he doesn't get injured for the year early on like Martin did for me last year.

QB: Rivers
RB: AP
RB: Mathews
WR/RB: Fred Jackson
WR: R Cobb
WR: T Smith
TE: J Thomas
DP: Von Miller
D/ST: Rams
K: Novak

With G Tate, D Williams, A Dalton, McFadden, B LaFell, E Ebron, S Johnson, and B Hartline on my bench. As the players I knew fell off the board I started picking players on better teams that don't have the same bye week. Pretty optimistic with this squad, I like it better the more I look at it. Spaced that Bradshaw is out for the year when picking the Rams. Hope the lack of a QB doesn't hurt their defense too much. Last year was my first year playing fantasy and I made it all the way to the finals. Fingers crossed that wasn't just beginners luck!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just finished my first draft of the season. Not too bad. Really liking my primary RBs. I think I may have reached a bit for Luck though. Rivers was still available in the 11th round and I picked Luck in the 7th.

QB: Andrew Luck
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Vincent Jackson
WR: Torrey Smith
RB: Adrian Peterson
RB: Zac Stacy
TE: Greg Olsen
WR/RB/TE: Reggie Bush
K: Phil Dawson
D/ST: Cincinnati
DP: Vontaze Burfict

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did a 10 man ppr league tonight. I had 7th pick. My first 5 picks were Matt forte, Aj Green, Doug Martin, Julius Thomas and Andre Johnson. I'm a happy man.. I'll update the rest later

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He was just such a disappointment last year and I've seen people talking about both James and Rainey taking carries from him this year. Add in his wee size and it just increases the odds they'll try to spell him a lot to avoid him getting hurt like last year. I'm expecting some RBBC action in Tampa=/

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
I would not draft a QB in the first round, Peyton included. Last year, after the top 3 RB's in scoring, there were 16 players who outscored the #4 scoring RB. 5 of them were QB's. You miss out on a top flight RB you are at a severe disadvantage relative to the teams who secured those RBs early at that position. On the flip side, you miss out on a top flight QB, there are plenty of serviceable options still available to you.

My draft board for the first round (PPR) is looking like this:

1.) McCoy
2.) AP
3.) Charles
4.) Forte
5.) Lacy
6.) Megatron
7.) Graham
8.) D. Thomas
9.) Lynch
10.) Ball

Also, keep an eye on Zac Stacy. He falls, grab him. He will probably fall with the Bradford injury but outside of the brutal NFC West matchups he performed well even when Bradford was out. I don't think I would slate him as a starter but as an RB3/Flex player could be a steal.
I never understand some people. You are in a PPR league and yoy have AP 2nd. charles and forte catch 60-70 balls a season. AP had what 25 last year? You guys need to maths better.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I never understand some people. You are in a PPR league and yoy have AP 2nd. charles and forte catch 60-70 balls a season. AP had what 25 last year? You guys need to maths better.
I've already outlined my theory about having one of the top picks in the draft earlier in the thread. It isn't about finding the guy who is going to be the #1 ranked RB at the end of the season, it is about finding safe, predictable points. And in 2012 AP was still the #1 overall RB even in PPR and has never been outside the top 10 outside of his knee injury-shortened years. Over their careers none of the above listed RB's match AP in consistency ratings either (I would rather have the RB that scores 20 points a week consistently rather than the guy who goes off for 30 one week, but only 10 the next). You want to over-react to 1 "down" year (you know, the year where he was still on pace to average 20+ points a game before hurting his foot in Baltimore in week 14) that is your prerogative.

I wouldn't blame someone for taking McCoy over AP, the argument for Charles is there but NFC West is going to mess with that production a bit.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Draft went exactly how I dreamed it up in mah head.

rrr_img_74874.jpg

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
The coaching staff of the vikings have said that they plan on AP to catch a lot more balls this year so he will be much better in a PPR league.

Draft went exactly how I dreamed it up in mah head.
Only 1 RB, 4 WR/TE's, and 9 bench? Da fuck kind of draft are you doing?

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Only 1 RB, 4 WR/TE's, and 9 bench? Da fuck kind of draft are you doing?
This is the 3rd year running we have been going by this format. Our commissioner's aiming for what we are seeing, as fans, how offenses are being ran nowadays. Heavy emphasis on the passing game, and less emphasis on the running game. But if you have a top tiered rb, then you better hold on to him because you won't be able to find a replacement for that kind of production with a WR.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My money league has goofy rosters as well(2 QB's), and 6pt QB touchdowns. They started the league like 12 years ago and did it all by hand and that's just what they settled on and everyone likes it. It's fun. This was my 2ndconsecutive championship game last year.

qjxoUgF.png