Fantasy Grounds Curse of Strahd campaign

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Fantasy Grounds :: The Virtual Tabletop for Pen Paper Roleplaying Games for download as I am told steam version will cause issues if you have it already.
I currently own all 5E content.

Making a DD Character in Fantasy Grounds - YouTube or Fantasy Grounds Adding 5th Edition Module Character Creation - YouTube

I will make up the rules as I go along.

Rule 1: Don't be a dick out of character, if you character is a dick that is fine.
Rule 2: This will be typing for RP and VOIP(teamspeak for questons/clarifications) so do not correct typos or grammar if everyone knows what that person meant let it slide. I'm sure I will fuck up in the moment, deal with it.
Rule 3: Judgement free zone, this will be a place to get your nerd on whatever that means for you.

Suggestions: Learn the tool as much as possible on your own time and help everyone be better, also learning DnD 5e rules is a good idea. Fantasy grounds does not stop you from breaking the rules and I don't know most of them yet. Some good info on 5e rules: 5th Edition DND Rules and Overview of Combat - YouTube

Story so far check here for updates weekly. Spoiler heavy. Curse of Strahd

Donations will all go toward campaign modules.
Online Payment, Merchant Account - PayPal

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
The only issue Hate ever bitches about is when FG loses some of his prepared work. Other than that, I don't think we have run into any issues with FG on Steam.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Sure love reading this. Question on fantasy grounds. I'm currently in the final stages of building a table with a TV for a tabletop mostly for dnd. One of my regular players purchased everything for fantasy grounds.... but I looked into it, and saw it doesn't do dynamic lighting (fog of war) while roll20 does. That seems like a really awesome feature to me, and the only obvious thing I see setting the two products apart. What's been your experience with FG, and was there a reason to go with that over roll20? I hate to not use FG when a friend has dropped money into it, but... monsters hiding in shadows....

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I bought FG and 5e core pack a long time ago but it has been just sitting in my steam library. I tried using it once but it just seemed too complicated.
I am going to have to check out those links you posted to try and figure it out.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Sure love reading this. Question on fantasy grounds. I'm currently in the final stages of building a table with a TV for a tabletop mostly for dnd. One of my regular players purchased everything for fantasy grounds.... but I looked into it, and saw it doesn't do dynamic lighting (fog of war) while roll20 does. That seems like a really awesome feature to me, and the only obvious thing I see setting the two products apart. What's been your experience with FG, and was there a reason to go with that over roll20? I hate to not use FG when a friend has dropped money into it, but... monsters hiding in shadows....

They are working on dynamic lighting but no ETA. That said I don't miss it, I adjust the fog of war on the maps as the party explores and pop monsters in as they can be seen. I'm not going say use FG over Roll 20 but I will say Roll 20 was not for me. I made a few campaigns there and ever tried being a player but it always felt like a struggle, hours of prep for 15 mins of game play was not working for me.

FG automates many things automatically with simple drag and drop, even more things can be done with the use of effects like if target is a fiend do 2d6 radiant dmg via "IFT: TYPE (fiend); DMG: 2d6 radiant"
You just put that effect on yourself and then any time creature is a fiend it auto calculates the additional damage, very cool.
Decent list of effects here: 5E Effects - Fantasy Grounds Wiki I say decent because it doesn't explain how to do everything but the fantasy grounds forum community is very good and will typically answer any questions in minutes.

Another reason I like FG is how the modules all have "pins" on their maps, you click the pin and everything about that room pops up to include monsters and links to everything you will need. Usually "story text" as well you can drag and drop into chat. This allows me read up on everything and use as a refresher when the party enters the area or if the party surprises me like they usually do I can read ahead as I throw hooks or NPC interaction at them.

If anyone wants to learn FG I am happy to setup a time for tutorials and the like. Just not on Tuesdays or Thursday.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ya, I tried making a char for 5E in Fantasy Grounds but there's no libraries for that. Not to mention the whole outlay of the UI is completely different from all the tutorial videos (non-steam version).

Ah well, fuck it, I'll just stick to RL tabletop gaming for now.

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Just noticed FG auto saves chat logs. Here is tonights raw copy paste, had some good RP.
CoS Chat Log
names in (example) means /ooc was used.

Last edited: