Fantasy/Sci-Fi Fine Art Thread

Oloh_sl

shitlord
I collect Fantasy Fine Art (mostly original oil paintings of Dungeons and Dragons stuff and/or video game related stuff). I am always looking for cool art/artists to follow, so I figured what better place to ask for legitmaite, non-trolling advice than RRSS forum. To get the thread started, I will post most of the paintings in my collection:

First up, my favorite painting by my favorite artist, Gerald Brom:

rrr_img_61302.jpg

It is huge and hanging in my living room.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
Next up was my very first original artwork that I purchased, also from Gerald Brom, called the Enchanter:

rrr_img_61303.jpg

Also hanging in my living room.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
I need to take a better picture of my third and final Gerald Brom painting because the only image I have is from the book that uses it as the cover. It was called Dwarves Deep and was a Forgotten Realms supplement. It is the exact same size as the enchanter painting above and doesnt have anything like the border/logo/font from the book on it. Just a picture of the dwarves standing on the giants dead head. Also, in my living room!

Attachment 61304

Oloh_sl

shitlord
I picked up my next original painting off of craigs list because it was very cheap for the artist. Brian Froud is a famous painter and was the creative force behind the Dark Crystal and other movies. His stuff is really expensive, so when I saw a reasonably priced one, I jumped on it. It is biggerthan what is shown below, but this will give you the idea:

rrr_img_61319.jpg

found a new pic of this one.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
cghub - CGHUB, my man. It's pretty much an industry networking site but all the bigguns at the moment (Giancola, Rapoza, Foster, etc. etc. etc.) have galleries and contact information there. You're going to have to sift through the asian/digital stuff but once you find one of the traditional oil painters you can browse by route of their own personal favorites to find the stuff you like.

Szlia

By Hitoshi Yoneda (mostly known around here for his work on Phantasy Star).
I like this painting because of its original composition (the character walking toward us, the scarf responding to the tree) and its non-heroic nature.

YKdhzcA.jpg

Actually have a poster of this piece by Kazuhiro Otomo. Tetsuo from Akira. It's rolled up at the moment though.

8cPHjz4.jpg

Here is something from Nihei Tsutomu. A manga artist specialized in anarchic futuristic architecture and technological nightmares.

ahgbqsG.jpg

Oloh_sl

shitlord
cghub - CGHUB, my man. It's pretty much an industry networking site but all the bigguns at the moment (Giancola, Rapoza, Foster, etc. etc. etc.) have galleries and contact information there. You're going to have to sift through the asian/digital stuff but once you find one of the traditional oil painters you can browse by route of their own personal favorites to find the stuff you like.
Thanks! Exactly what I hoped I'd find. Really appreciate it. Pic of another original piece that I picked up from Tom Baxa. From the WoW Trading Card Game ("Tinkmaster Overspark"). Hanging in my office at work.

rrr_img_61308.jpg

Oloh_sl

shitlord
By Hitoshi Yoneda (mostly known around here for his work on Phantasy Star).
I like this painting because of its original composition (the character walking toward us, the scarf responding to the tree) and its non-heroic nature.
First one is really cool. A little too cartoony for my taste, unless I like the subject matter (i.e. a game i like), but I think it is really interesting.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Thanks! Exactly what I hoped I'd find. Really appreciate it. Pic of another original piece that I picked up from Tom Baxa. From the WoW Trading Card Game ("Tinkmaster Overspark"). Hanging in my office at work.
Back in college one of my professors was one of the clade that was doing the Warcraft/Magic TCG circuit. It was fucking awesome because he knew a bunch of people, including this bro, Scott Fischer, and a bunch of other guys. They'd come in and do paint demos, it was rad.

Also +1 on Brom. His original artbook was the first one I ever bought as a kid.

artists:gerald_brom:gbrom053.jpg

Oloh_sl

shitlord
Another one that I have is EQ related (a painting of Phara Dar by Lucas Graciano).
rrr_img_61309.jpg

I have it in my dining room. Really like this one a lot.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
Back in college one of my professors was one of the clade that was doing the Warcraft/Magic TCG circuit. It was fucking awesome because he knew a bunch of people, including this bro, Scott Fischer, and a bunch of other guys. They'd come in and do paint demos, it was rad.
Brom is a really, really nice guy. Can't stress it enough. He has even forwarded me offers from people that wanted to buy his paintings that he knew I had. Not many artists like the brokering of their art, let alone would forward requests to buy. I bought Dwarves Deep (shown above from him) and before he even shipped it, he got an offer for a lot more. Instead of going back on our deal for more money, he contacted me and asked if I wanted to sell it to the other guy and make a profit. Crazy rare, honest and nice. (Obviously, I kept it because Brom is awesome).

My dream, like everyone else that collects this shit is to get a Frazetta someday, but even a simple painting of his will cost you like $70,000, so its kinda far off. Brom is very much like Frazetta in my mind, in his style and presentation. Another dude that seems nice that I would LOVE to buy a piece from is Justin Sweet. He is just....sick and still does traditional media. His stuff is very cool if you like Brom:
rrr_img_61310.jpg

(not mine, although i WISH it was)

Oloh_sl

shitlord
Needs to be on first page, so here it is. Frank Frazetta. The master. Started it all, basically.

rrr_img_61312.jpg

Before he died, Frazetta was offered over $1,000,000 for that painting, which he refused. It is on display in his family's museum.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
I've always been partial to Boris Vallejo - got this one signed/framed from him for the wife - she loves it.
Dude, that is sick. Love it. Vallejo is def on the "masters" list in my book and been meaning to get something of his for a long time. So jealous. Also, your wife is awesome for liking it. Mine would be like "WTF, its an ass..."

Oloh_sl

shitlord
Here is another one of my favorite artists who I had the privilege of meeting before he passed away. He was the main artistic direction behind Vanguard, and a very humble and salt of the earth kind of guy. If you followed Dungeons and Dragons, he was part of the legendary crew that did most of the stuff in the late 80s early nineties. Keith Parkinson.

Keith was particularly known for his attention to detail in his landscapes. He often painted backgrounds twig by twig and brick by brick.

This one is called Northwatch (not mine, but beautiful).

rrr_img_61318.jpg