Fargo

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This season isn't nearly as good as the previous two seasons. It's still quality, but it's a little too outlandish. For some huge The Wire Season 2 level criminal organization they're pretty fucking sloppy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Pretty on the nose casting to put Ray Wise in that role, especially with Twin Peaks running concurrently right now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
sorry it feels like the writers saw true detective season 2 and thought they could write something even stupider. I guess Minnesota must be an awesome place to be a criminal because it feels like you could do whatever the fuck you want and nobody will ever catch you unless you literally confess at a police station.

Purgatory is a bowling alley in the middle of nowhere filled with the jewish guy who laughed at Jesus and is doomed to walk the earth until his resurrection, I guess. Mr. Reaper aka Paul Marrane
Wandering Jew - Wikipedia
Yeah, I was a little surprised at people saying this was the best of the season.

Like, last season a lot of people were kind of WTF about the UFO thing. It detracted from the story since it was literally put in for no reason (the only plot points it had impact on were the guy getting hit by the car, and the shootout distraction; but those could've easily been written differently). This was taking that to an entirely different level. It was just very out of place.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm liking this season. Not as much as the first two, but I like it for what it is. The show has always had a fantasy element to it, so the bowling alley thing wasn't surprising. I'm not really seeing the connection between Ray Wise in LA and Ray Wise in the bowling alley, I haven't (and won't) rewatched that episode though to get whatever insight might be gleaned from that. I didn't know about the Wandering Jew thing, that's interesting.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
This season isn't nearly as good as the previous two seasons. It's still quality, but it's a little too outlandish. For some huge The Wire Season 2 level criminal organization they're pretty fucking sloppy.
They should have added Kevin Durant to the cast...:p

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's a great show. This is pretty clearly the weakest season, but it's still quality tv. Ironically, I like a few of this season's characters more than all of last season's characters. Last season's story/plot was tighter.

I think the primary flaw in this season is that it seems rushed and incomplete. There are several cool concepts and ideas that they touch on but fail to fully explore. I think they had a lot of material to work with for S01 and S02 and struggled to come up with material in time for S03.

Who knows. Last episode next week and I'm still enjoying it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I really liked this week's episode and I can't wait for the finale. Nikki Swango is the best character of this season and Varga is the second best so it is fun that they're facing off for the finale. This has been the weirdest season of a very weird show and it's not as good as Season 2 but I'm not complaining.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Excellent ending (very Sopranos like), and a very good season.

I would rate season #2 as the best of the series, but this is a runner up.

spronk

FPS noob
I'd still put it as 1 > 2 > 3, there were just too many bad episodes in season 3 to rate i t high up. Plus the twins thing really was not very good and while VM Varga had some enjoyable scenes the character was just way too fantastical to make it good. Malvo was also supernatural but he was fun throughout.

Gloria Burgle looked hot as FUCK in her homeland security outfit.

I'm glad Nikki fucking Swango got got, her character was just all over the place in abilities and the fact she was willing to shoot a cop shows she is hardly an avenging angel, just another scumbag who will kill anyone. That cop's red uniform was amazing. I was sorta ambivalent about Emitt dying, while he definitely deserved it I think Mr. Wrench killing him 5 years later is a bit ... contrary. Did he repent and do good things? I guess thats life, but just felt unsatisfying.

It is sorta interesting that the end is what you make of it, but given that VM Varga has shifted heaven and earth in the past (the text from a mysterious source about the IRS, the fact he got out of the country, has been running around for 5 years, etc) suggests his money will continue to buy his freedom. Its too bad we never really got an understanding of WHY he continues to amass money while trying to stay under the radar, that would have been a very important part of the puzzle of what makes him tick.

If they do another season I hope they get rid of that "THIS IS BASED ON A TRUE STORY" stuff, it really got grating by the end.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Was okay. Season 2 still my favorite by far. Gloria did look hot in her 90's mom haircut for sure. One thing that irked me is Emmett's car not working so Swango can catch up, then shootout and it's magically completely fine. Nice. Niiiiiice.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Xevy Xevy He might have used the jumper cables from the dead cop...yeah, that is exactly what he did. [bcolor=rgb(24, 24, 24)]:confused:[/bcolor]

I don't think Varga ended up being a Vampire like was speculated earlier in the thread, would have been cool but I am okay with him being what he was.

spronk spronk I don't think the "True Story" stuff is going away, that is kind of at the heart the whole Fargo shtick.

I don't understand why it took the Wrench 5 years to track down Emmett. Didn't he have a million plus in cash? With resources like that I a do not understand why it would take so long? I expected the Wrench to be on a beach somewhere, also wasn't he a fugitive?Didn't he escape from the Bus with Swango? Why would expose himself like that? ... especially 5 years later.

But I am being overly critical, the season was great just like the other seasons were great. I could be critical of flaws in S1 and S2, but what is the point? All three seasons are way above average TV and I am just happy to have shows like this in the sea of mediocrity that is 2017 TV.

• 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
spronk spronk But I am being overly critical, the season was great just like the other seasons were great. I could be critical of flaws in S1 and S2, but what is the point? All three seasons are way above average TV and I am just happy to have shows like this in the sea of mediocrity that is 2017 TV.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly; however, I did want to point out that I find it hilarious that we are complaining about 2017 being 'just ok' TV when, off the top of my head, I can name The Americans, Better Call Saul, Fargo, The Leftovers, and Silicon Valley as a better lineup than what was available up until FX and Comedy Central started pushing the limits of cable TV in the early 2000's. How far we have come since they absolute best TV shows were 3-4 30 minute sitcoms on Must See TV Thursday and then the Simpsons/King of the Hill on Sundays.

• 2Solidarity

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
spronk spronk But I am being overly critical, the season was great just like the other seasons were great. I could be critical of flaws in S1 and S2, but what is the point? All three seasons are way above average TV and I am just happy to have shows like this in the sea of mediocrity that is 2017 TV.

I meant that more in the sense of out of the thousands of TV Shows out there there are so few at this quality. The majority of shows suck or are below suck. We are lucky in the sense that they just throw so much shit at the wall there are bound to be some good ones that stick but the percentage of quality I would guess is below 5% of all shows.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I thought the finale was a bit weak, but then again I was distracted with lighting my kamado and getting it up to temp to smoke a brisket overnight.

Xevy Xevy

I don't think Varga ended up being a Vampire like was speculated earlier in the thread, would have been cool but I am okay with him being what he was.

LOL, I'm glad someone remembers my silly theory. It was literally based on a few weird camera angles of him and from there I jumped to "he is bulimic because he prefers blood"

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was okay. Season 2 still my favorite by far. Gloria did look hot in her 90's mom haircut for sure. One thing that irked me is Emmett's car not working so Swango can catch up, then shootout and it's magically completely fine. Nice. Niiiiiice.
We didn't get a scene of Emmett picking up his license/registration and busted up phone. Seems like that would've pinned him to the scene of a double homicide.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that he did it and it wasn't shown, but it seems like it they could have done a quick shot of it. There's a bunch of shit laying in the road as he drives away.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I assumed that Nikki had put some kind of remote kill switch on Emmet's car to get it to stop in at a spot with no cell coverage where she could drive up dramatically.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'd rank them 2>1>3. I liked it, the ending was pretty well done, but yeah it wasn't on the same level as the other seasons. I'm ok with that, and Varga is an awesome bad guy. spronk spronk I'd have to rewatch (and I won't) but I think he explained a good deal of why he does what he does. He was very open with Emmett about what was going on, you just had to read between the lines a little, which he could never do because he was involved in all this bullshit.

I think the vampire theory fits, actually, silly as it sounds. The way they framed him and lit him and his disappearing act in the elevator and his bulimia. I kept expecting a big reveal, which would have been a huge mistake. I like it left as a metaphor. He's a parasite, he sucks people dry and then he moves on, it's how he survives.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I think the vampire theory fits, actually, silly as it sounds. The way they framed him and lit him and his disappearing act in the elevator and his bulimia. I kept expecting a big reveal, which would have been a huge mistake. I like it left as a metaphor. He's a parasite, he sucks people dry and then he moves on, it's how he survives.

“I’m so rarely seen, maybe I don’t exist.”

This line, said by Varga as he appeared at Emmit’s side to help cover up Ray’s death and pin it on Nikki, was the most interesting one in the episode. Part of it is because Varga is a strange and mysterious figure who, on another show or maybe even on this one (see: aliens, season two), I would suspect of being some sort of undead vampire-type figure who has lived for thousands of years and accumulated wealth by profiting off of disasters throughout history.
'Fargo' Frozen Five: Swango Stands Alone

Theory: Vargas is a vampire • r/FargoTV

Seems it's not that outlandish!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In season 2, is it some sort of running gag to reference to Reagan films that don't actually exist?