Fargo

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's weird. I did not like this show at all. I did not like a single one of the characters.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's one of the most wrong things you've posted on this forum. That's really saying something.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I usually like this kind of thing. But when it was all over I said 'and what was the point of all of that?'

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Perhaps you should correct your chemical imbalance and try again. Billy Bob was objectively delightful, and you're treading on thin ice little lady.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Perhaps you should correct your chemical imbalance and try again. Billy Bob was objectively delightful, and you're treading on thin ice little lady.
His character was just so over the top almost cartoon villain evil. Who was I supposed to be rooting for? The mildly retarded cops?

It was well acted and well directed and what not but I just didn't think the dialogue was super clever or the characters particularly compelling. It also wasn't a mystery because you knew everything that was happening, so what was the real point?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I can see some of what you're saying, but the little unnecessary twists like the plight of the asian woman amused me. There are many forks in the road, and at many of them something very gratuitous and, to me at least, unexpected occurred. The elevator scene is this abrupt escalation that just made me smile reflexively. Like "Yes! Wait, what? Right. Yes!" They're not foreshadowed several episodes out. They're foreshadowed maybe 10 minutes ahead, and the situation could go another way. It would go another way really if this was most other stories, but in Fargo it goes this way. On a long enough run it would become formulaic, tired, predictable, etc. but in 10 episodes I didn't get tired of it.

I know very keenly what it's like to be the only one who gets the reveal before it's revealed though. That's been my experience with most of my family and friends, so if you saw substantially more of it coming than I did then I sympathize. It just kills it when that happens. To me the small quick shifts from normal dysfunctional to hardcore fucked up were a joy to watch.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I started watching this last night based upon this thread. I loved the first episode. I really enjoying Billy Bob's character.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I recommend that Mist not watch season 2 and go post in some other thread.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Yeah, I enjoyed the show but really didn't like any of the characters except for possibly Molly. Even she didn't seem that smart overall, just smarter than the rest of the hopelessly retarded cops.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I enjoyed the show but really didn't like any of the characters except for possibly Molly. Even she didn't seem that smart overall, just smarter than the rest of the hopelessly retarded cops.
This I agree with. The main weakness of this compared to the Cohen brothers stuff is that in the Cohen brothers stuff, normal people often end up being pretty intelligent. It was pretty seeing some hicks on the screen in No Country and Fargo and then most of them being rational, logical human beings who were fairly savvy; and most of the drama had to be extracted not from their mistakes but rather from characters colliding and the absurdity/surrealism of situations. (Breaking bad also did this well; cliche image of gangster with a gun------in his underwear.)

This series seemed to draw a lot of drama and comedy from the characters stupidity, rather than the absurdity of the situations or their competency forcing collisions. (not all of it, but some of it.) Still enjoyed it a lot, thought it was great but mainly because I took it as a caricature driven comedy that emphasized it's cliches and stereotypes to reach that absurd level (Which is why Billy Bob was great; he just slammed home the theme of the show). But part of the reason I thought True Detective was better is mainly due to those things-I just like it when the reason shit happens isn't because of stupid mistakes, or incompetence, and the characters feel more grounded (But it's an apples to oranges comparison, they weren't the same type of show--it's just a personal preference of mine.)