Fargo

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The bag of money was put back by the supermarket guy, kind of repeating the cycle.

Aside from the bad guys all losing and the good guys winning, I don't really see the similarities.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
In the end I just found it disappointing that Malvo left the scene and ran despite how great that bedroom scene was.
Dude, that was a horrific injury. Surprised he made it back to the car that quick.

Gotta give props to Lester. That was quite clever.

Devlin

Golden Squire
The bag of money was put back by the supermarket guy, kind of repeating the cycle.

Aside from the bad guys all losing and the good guys winning, I don't really see the similarities.
Me neither. It's just based in the same area and has a similar feel due to that.

I really hope Billy Bob Thornton gets more work off the back of this, he absolutely blew me away with how well he played his character.

The only reason I would compare this to True Detective would be to decide who wins the Emmy for best actor out of the three, otherwise they're totally different.

I'd be completely torn between Mads Mikkelson, Billy Bob Thornton, Matthew Mcconaughey and Woody Harrelson.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I really wanted lester die after what he did to his 2nd wife. what a coward
Oh, don't get me wrong, I was happy when he died. But when he pulled that stunt? It made me think he was now just like Malvo, he was willing to do anything to get the upper hand. Would have felt like a complete circle if they flashed forward and he had taken his place.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I really don't see how you think Lester was in any position to take Malvo's place in any way. Lester is a weasel, Malvo is a hawk.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Used car guy was pretty obviously let go. When lester went out the front door, there were no cars in the driveway, so there had to be 2 people left to drive them, and obviously key and peel were both dedded.

Wasn't that a wolf trap lester used? Doesn't seem like a wolf trap would have enough force to break a human leg. If it did, wouldn't it just snap the wolf's leg clean off and let it get away?

I'm also wondering why molly still called herself deputy solverson in the last 2 episodes. Didn't she marry gus? Wouldn't seem to be in character for them to be shacking up and making babies out of wedlock.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Used car guy was pretty obviously let go. When lester went out the front door, there were no cars in the driveway, so there had to be 2 people left to drive them, and obviously key and peel were both dedded.

Wasn't that a wolf trap lester used? Doesn't seem like a wolf trap would have enough force to break a human leg. If it did, wouldn't it just snap the wolf's leg clean off and let it get away?

I'm also wondering why molly still called herself deputy solverson in the last 2 episodes. Didn't she marry gus? Wouldn't seem to be in character for them to be shacking up and making babies out of wedlock.
It was a bear trap. Much too large for a wolf. The old fashioned bear foothold traps that they used for this would definitely crush into your bone at the very least.

Just because she got married doesn't mean she took his name! #2014

... or she just uses that name at work as everyone in the town would know her by that name.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I really don't see how you think Lester was in any position to take Malvo's place in any way. Lester is a weasel, Malvo is a hawk.
Why can the human eye see more shades of green than any other color? Malvo also viewed Lester as a weasel, and he got fucked up because of it. Lester went through a pretty profound transformation through the series. Remember him stapling the kids face? Or the whole awards dinner, or him confronting Malvo in the elevator. The writers couldn't have put more scenes in to illustrate his transformation from prey to predator, or Weasel to "Hawk".

I'm sure at the start of Malvo's career he wasn't a ruthless asshole either. That's the point, Lester, in the span of a year, went from a complete, spineless coward--to someone who actually took down a hit man. Not hard for me to imagine that, given his trajectory, in a few years, he could be the one doing the hits. All you really need is to be a sociopath, be ruthless and have some cunning; Lester was obviouslyverycunning (They paralleled his tricks with Malvo's even), evading capture of the police AND Malvo, multiple times; and by the end, he had the lack of empathy needed to kill (In spades, obviously) and he was extremely ruthless--takes a cold fuck to use your own wife as a decoy.

I mean, two professional hit men barely scratched Malvo and he wasn't prepared for them at all. He was completely prepared to kill Lester, and Lester came out on top. How do you explain that? Him underestimating Lester? Well then refer to the question shades of green question :p--As Malvo showed, twice in the series, good predators blend in as sheep.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
The whole "Based on a true story" conceit makes it difficult for there to be an ending where Lester replaces Malvo. If Lester gets away, how do we know that he becomes a hitman? The only way would be if he got caught too, and if that was the case, how much of that would even tie back to Bemidji? Perhaps it could've worked if they set it up as the story for the second season, but I don't think they even knew they were going to do another season by the time the first season was completed.

khalid

Unelected Mod
What was the deal with the whole "based on a true story" shit? Just made me roll my eyes everytime an episode started. Was that the point?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's a takeoff on the movie. The movie did that, because the Coens like fucking with people.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i hated that shit and also the wolf showing up IRL was groan worthy and automatically removes Fargo from Emmy contention for the writers/directors. Still, Billy Bob or the lady cop or Bilbo Baggins definitely deserve emmy nods.

and that was definitely a bear trap, not sure if you are even allowed to hunt wolves I know they recently opened it up in some areas of the North West

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
What was the deal with the whole "based on a true story" shit? Just made me roll my eyes everytime an episode started. Was that the point?
Yeah that kinda pissed me off. I don't believe shit I see on TV or in movies, but there's sort of a social contract. When you start it off saying it's a true story, it needs to be a true story.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
What bugged me more was "Erstwhile, on Fargo" and the other one they said a few times "precedently." Those kind'a silly words should best be left to Lewis Carroll and Dr. Seuss don'tcha know.