Farm animals and how to raise them

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Well, this thread is all about farm animals and how to raise them.

I've been looking at different options. Some animals to actually produce food and others just as pets.

I have a ton of predators. Like a ton.. black bears, bobcats, coyotes, red shouldered Hawks, and foxes. I've heard rumors of Florida panther sightings but have yet to catch one on camera on my property.

I also have a shit ton of deer that come through my property daily along with wild turkeys.

I'd really like something I can free range near my house during the day. The only predators I see during the day are the Hawks, bear and rarely the coyotes although I've caught a bobcat on video a few times during the day. The black bears I don't think I need to be super concerned about... They're primarily opportunistic scavengers that feed on berries and trash that neighbors leave out. They only seem to be a problem if provoked (your dog goes after them, they will defend themselves).

Looked at guinea hens but they apparently wander too much and I don't want to piss of my neighbors.

A donkey seemed like a great one because I have trespassers and could raise a guard donkey. Problem is my neighbors dog always comes on my property which I don't mind one bit, it's a great dog... I just don't want to risk a guard donkey TKOing the thing and having to deal with the fallout from my neighbor.

Llamas seem like a good option. From what I understand they are good at protecting herds and grow big enough to fend off coyotes etc. May be a good alternative to a donkey for defending other herd animals like maybe alpacas. I have plenty of room to fence off a pasture for them. They may require a little more upkeep than alternative options so I'm not sure they will be my starter animal.

Chickens.... I think I can build a pretty large predator proof chicken run and have a coop inside. I really want to be able to let my chickens just free range around the house during the day. Obviously I don't think this is possible when they are young due to my huge red shouldered hawk population. Red shouldered Hawks are pretty small raptors so I'm wondering if they would be an issue with full grown chickens?

My only other concern is my wild turkeys harassing them - those turkeys are territorial and mean as shit. I've seen them attack packs of bucks.

I also don't want to disrupt the nature I have coming through my property... I.e. I'd still like to see my deer and turkeys roam through as they don't really have anywhere else to go due to development.

I'd like ducks as well - I live on a river but I've never seen ducks in it, I imagine because it's a river? My section of the river only has one alligator who's still small. I could just make them a small pond so that's another idea.

So right now I'm thinking of starting with chickens and maybe ducks. Should I be concerned about free ranging them once they're adults?

Any other suggestions to livestock (can be for pets or slaughter) is welcome.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Chickens and ducks are easy and great. You can let them roam around the yard no problem as long as they are securely locked up at night. Some ducks are good egg layers as well. Turkeys can be fun too and they actually lay a decent number of eggs as well. Guineas only lay eggs seasonally and they're VERY noisy. They're also stupider and less domesticated than chickens so you might have trouble with them roosting in trees or disappearing and then coming back with a dozen babies. They are supposed to be good for controlling insects and especially ticks.

I don't have any experience with llamas. Donkeys are pretty good to deal with and I think your neighbor's dog would learn to get along with it. The best animal for dealing with predators is a livestock guardian dog but that's not something to get lightly. A 120 lb dog can really get into a lot of trouble if they're not well behaved and some of them are killing machines.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Chickens are great and very easy but whether or not you can get away with free ranging depends on your location.

Free ranged chickens at my house have a lifespan measured in hours to days. My wife used to like how they looked running around. The thing you have to remember is, after the predators eat your chickens it takes half a year or more to raise the next batch before they start laying. It doesnt take too many cycles of eating garbage grocery store eggs before you learn your lesson and keep them locked up.

Shit, even once they're inside the coop theyre not 100% safe. Coons killed 14 chickens in one night, inside the coop, in our old coop.

I built a better one. Its kept the coons out but foxes are smarter. We've had a couple fox losses until we figured out where he was getting in (ripping stapled hardware cloth off the side of the coop -- we had to secure it with nails to prevent this)

Chickens taste like chicken. Everything wants a piece. Where I live, free range is reliably chicken murder. Others results may vary.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Do you have a dog in the yard? We have abundant skunks, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, etc. here and I don't ever recall a chicken being eaten in the daytime.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Chickens are great and very easy but whether or not you can get away with free ranging depends on your location.

Free ranged chickens at my house have a lifespan measured in hours to days. My wife used to like how they looked running around. The thing you have to remember is, after the predators eat your chickens it takes half a year or more to raise the next batch before they start laying. It doesnt take too many cycles of eating garbage grocery store eggs before you learn your lesson and keep them locked up.

Shit, even once they're inside the coop theyre not 100% safe. Coons killed 14 chickens in one night, inside the coop, in our old coop.

I built a better one. Its kept the coons out but foxes are smarter. We've had a couple fox losses until we figured out where he was getting in (ripping stapled hardware cloth off the side of the coop -- we had to secure it with nails to prevent this)

Chickens taste like chicken. Everything wants a piece. Where I live, free range is reliably chicken murder. Others results may vary.
My coons roam around during the day. Sounds like chickens would be fucked free roaming.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My coons roam around during the day. Sounds like chickens would be fucked free roaming.
MH4AGSUIXRFC5LNIYJFGDQKTEA.JPG

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You live in the rural south and don't have a gun sitting next to the beer at the back door? What in the living fuck.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Get an Anatolian Shepherd if you have enough space. It'll scare off everything that you have listed and can also kill everything that you have listed if things get to that. They're hyper loyal to their family, will protect your kids to the death and will scare away people. Nobody wants to mess with a dog the size of a small horse that can bite at 700+PSI

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Free range and not worry about predators? Then you need large things. Cattle, Horses, Ostrich, etc.

Anything smaller, you will have to accept losses occasionally (or frequently if you are unlucky). I don't think any other animals make good guards except dogs. The occasional non-dog might work out, but they are much more likely to worry about themselves and ignore predators or worse, they themselves will kill smaller livestock. I'm speaking from experience, in Florida also.

Plenty you can do to minimizing loss. You can (have to) lock the smaller stuff up at night. For things like goats and bigger, you really should lock them up when they are about to give birth and keep them locked up until the babies are a good 2 weeks old. Stuff like that. A coyote will hear a animal in labor and will come RUNNING. If you are lucky they will just run off with the baby, if you are unlucky they will start at the uterus and eat inwards.

Lets what what else. Oh, black vultures will also kill LIVE newborns of any species if they are born in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Just get what you want and take it from there. But "expect the unexpected". Just when I think i've seen it all after doing it for years, something new and wild happens and I'm like "well fuck".

• 1Like
  • 1WTF

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So there is a couple of things.
1. if you are worried about air predators you can solve that with some wire. Doing your whole yard would be a bit much. But for the main area of the chickens/garden/rabbits whatever it works great. You string wire across the top in a grid. It will keep any airborne monster from dive bombing them.

2. Keep 2 pigs. especially if you have any fruiting trees. Letting them run wild is actually great. Used to raise them on the orchards and rotate them through sections like cattle/grass.
plus having them eat food waste is just extra value.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user