Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
6/10. I love the F&F movies, stupid physics and all, but this one just felt a bit off. Like it was trying to be a Mission Impossible movie but didn't do a very good job at it. The last third of the movie is beyond silly, and was basically The Rock writing the script ala Captain Picard riding dune buggies in Nemesis. The four main characters - Rock, Statham, Idris Elba, and Vanessa Kirby are also all basically boring ass MCU superheros now, there is zero sense of danger for any of them at any point in the movie. They also don't really have much chemistry together in any combo, which is weird because I love the actors in other movies. Having 3 of 4 actors with thick british accents doesn't help.

minor spoilers about the last third
The last third of the movie takes place inexplicably in Somoa, Rocks "home" which he left 25 years ago for reasons explained near the end. It is ludicrously stupid that they go there, they start doing Somoan "war" dances, and all the shit you know the Rock forced into the script to celebrate his heritage. Fine, do that, MAKE IT MAKE SOME FUCKING SENSE. Having your brother, a goddamn car mechanic, suddenly be the only one who can repair Star Trek TNG technology just completely yanked me out of the movie and left me bored.

Ryan Reynolds and a fucking goddamn amazing motor cycle steal the movie, those two are insane. Everything else... meh. John Wick and Mission Impossible Fallout are the new bar for action movies, and this one falls a bit short. The combat action scenes were mostly bad, lot of quick cuts, but the car scenes are still fantastic. Only 15 mins or so though in a 2h15m movie, thats a bit of a problem.

I'd say just wait for it to watch at home. Nothing iconic like the vault through Rio or the jump between towers in Dubai.

I totally agree. This was very, very weak. It started off OK with the introduction, then peaked with Ryan Reynolds, then went downhill, plateaued, then plummeted when they went to Samoa. I mean it PLUMMETED.

The fight scenes were all pretty terrible, and like even a punch that should have felt big didn't feel big, and vice versa. It was just weird. The action sequences are just garbage. The HALO jump was retarded, the driving scenes were crap. I completely disagree about the motorcycle I thought it was gay as shit (we are all entitled to our opinions sir!) The problem is it's all CGI nonsense. Like you said, Fallout is the standard with badass, real, legit action sequences. Tom Cruise would never have signed off on this shit.

Also: the stupid virus extractor was set for 30 minutes. It starts, it's PITCH BLACK outside, then the attack happens. Suddenly it's HIGH NOON light outside, and it shows the timer and it's been less than 9 minutes. Then it's overcast, then storming, all within another 21 minutes. And by the end of the thirty minutes it's sunset in Samoa. So stupid.

The entire sequence on Samoa was bad. The mom sucked, the brothers were weird, etc. It just didn't work at all. The whole movie didn't work. It didn't have the magic or fun of a F&F movie, and it wasn't a Tom Cruise MI movie...

.. this shit needed Tyrese Gibson (so he can pay his child support.)

Chris

Potato del Grande
I totally agree. This was very, very weak. It started off OK with the introduction, then peaked with Ryan Reynolds, then went downhill, plateaued, then plummeted when they went to Samoa. I mean it PLUMMETED.

The fight scenes were all pretty terrible, and like even a punch that should have felt big didn't feel big, and vice versa. It was just weird. The action sequences are just garbage. The HALO jump was retarded, the driving scenes were crap. I completely disagree about the motorcycle I thought it was gay as shit (we are all entitled to our opinions sir!) The problem is it's all CGI nonsense. Like you said, Fallout is the standard with badass, real, legit action sequences. Tom Cruise would never have signed off on this shit.

Also: the stupid virus extractor was set for 30 minutes. It starts, it's PITCH BLACK outside, then the attack happens. Suddenly it's HIGH NOON light outside, and it shows the timer and it's been less than 9 minutes. Then it's overcast, then storming, all within another 21 minutes. And by the end of the thirty minutes it's sunset in Samoa. So stupid.

The entire sequence on Samoa was bad. The mom sucked, the brothers were weird, etc. It just didn't work at all. The whole movie didn't work. It didn't have the magic or fun of a F&F movie, and it wasn't a Tom Cruise MI movie...

.. this shit needed Tyrese Gibson (so he can pay his child support.)
What if I told you WWE were building their business around one of the weird brothers?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
What if I told you WWE were building their business around one of the weird brothers?

It would change nothing about how I felt about the movie. :) I haven't followed wrestling since I was in the 4th grade, and I'm 38 now. I don't mean that to be insulting or condescending I just don't care at all about it.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
well, i hate to be that guy, but roman reigns wasn't one of the weird brothers. he was one of the weird cousins.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
And he's a shit actor in both movies and the ring.(Roman, not Dwayne, Dwayne is awesome in both)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
yeah, i knew he was in the movie. i meant the "it's not as hard as you'd think" line. i didn't remember it but the copy i had cut off as soon as the credits started

There are 3 post credit scenes, 2 early and one at the end

First Ryan Reynolds calls Hobbs and tells him there is a new virus they need to stop, this one melts your outsides, unlike Snowflake, which melted your insides. Ryan Reynolds has killed many men, but is cornered.

Second, Shaw gets the police called on him by Hobbs while at a bar. They tell Hugh Janus to come out.

Finally, We cut back to Ryan Reynolds saying he needs blood, then realizing its not his, then saying its not as hard as you think to stab a guy with a brick. And we see the guy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Stave

Potato del Grande
Great popcorn flick. Reminded me a lot of Mission Impossible style movies. I actually thought it was better than some of the Fast and Furious movies recently, so there's that. It definitely feels enough of it's own to not feel like just another Fast and Furious movie. It could have had been it's own universe and new characters and stood on its own just fine. I enjoyed it more than a lot of other bigger name movies that have disappointed me these last few years. Solid 7.5/10 for me.

Rude

Potato del Grande
Saw this earlier today. Thought it was mediocre. Probably should have read about it before going in. It was basically some Sci-fi with mostly ball busting and randoms being disposed of for 2 hours. The over the top verbal diarrhea really hampered the action aspects of the movie. Also this didn't feel like a fast and furious movie at all, so that threw me off.

Will say Ryan Reynolds was good for his bits, the motorcycle was cool, and laughed at the X-men 3 shout out with the time of day rapidly changing between cuts.

5/10 and I think that's generous.. Probably should be a 4 or 3.