Fast X (2023)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Over 7 billion dollars made. That's why.
I mean, initially I wanted to make this point as well, but I don't actually think that's his contention. It's not "why do they keep making more of these movies?" but " why do people keep seeing them?" And honestly I don't have an answer... These movies are entertaining and I cannot, for the life of me, understand why. I have enjoyed all of these but I simply cannot articulate what it is about them that I enjoy so much.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I mean, initially I wanted to make this point as well, but I don't actually think that's his contention. It's not "why do they keep making more of these movies?" but " why do people keep seeing them?" And honestly I don't have an answer... These movies are entertaining and I cannot, for the life of me, understand why. I have enjoyed all of these but I simply cannot articulate what it is about them that I enjoy so much.
Fast And Furious Family GIF by The Fast Saga

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Over 7 billion dollars made. That's why.
yes, i know these make crazy money. as Joot said there really is no reason why they should. there are tons of fast car movies out there. maybe its just the urban culture thing. i dont know. i like fast cars and there is some hot ass in these films, but i dont give a fuck enough to sit down and watch 7 of these things. i barely remember any of them at this point. i just know that Paul Walker is dead and Vin Diesel must be old as fuck by now. but this keeps chugging along.

Juvarisx

Florida

Yea we watched 9 for the first time last night and when he somehow caught the steel bridge cable with his car and swung over the ocean my wife yelled Oh come on! They are truly stupid movies that should really be on RLM's Best of the Worst, but at the same time they are made juuuuuuust well enough and acted in a self aware way that they can get away with it and it makes them super entertaining.

I mean they had a space car wearing old school deep sea diving suits that they would have frozen in if you thought about it. But the fact that the entire situation is so absurd your brain cant keep up with the dumb so the fact that hey yea they should be dead doesn't enter your mind before they swap to a super over the top car chase with a stupidly overpowered electromagnet pulling cars through buildings. Hell Roman was so self aware in 9 he thought they may actually be immortal because none of them have a scratch.

They are just dumb spectacle movies meant to be seen to see what stupidly absurd thing the writers can come up with next to top the last one and that makes them fun and entertaining. I couldnt for the life of me tell you what happened in any of them past Tokyo Drift other then a vague outline of a well known actor / actress being the bad guy and one of the main characters banging a hottie that should be out of their league. I think its why I liked Hobbs and Shaw film so much, cause yea it was just as absurd as the rest but Statham / The Rock / Idris Elba and Vanessa Kirby have great screen presence so I was trying to pay attention to the plot more.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yea we watched 9 for the first time last night and when he somehow caught the steel bridge cable with his car and swung over the ocean my wife yelled Oh come on! They are truly stupid movies that should really be on RLM's Best of the Worst, but at the same time they are made juuuuuuust well enough and acted in a self aware way that they can get away with it and it makes them super entertaining.

I mean they had a space car wearing old school deep sea diving suits that they would have frozen in if you thought about it. But the fact that the entire situation is so absurd your brain cant keep up with the dumb so the fact that hey yea they should be dead doesn't enter your mind before they swap to a super over the top car chase with a stupidly overpowered electromagnet pulling cars through buildings. Hell Roman was so self aware in 9 he thought they may actually be immortal because none of them have a scratch.

They are just dumb spectacle movies meant to be seen to see what stupidly absurd thing the writers can come up with next to top the last one and that makes them fun and entertaining. I couldnt for the life of me tell you what happened in any of them past Tokyo Drift other then a vague outline of a well known actor / actress being the bad guy and one of the main characters banging a hottie that should be out of their league. I think its why I liked Hobbs and Shaw film so much, cause yea it was just as absurd as the rest but Statham / The Rock / Idris Elba and Vanessa Kirby have great screen presence so I was trying to pay attention to the plot more.
The car stunts are no more unrealistic than John Wick getting hit by multiple moving cars among other shit and popping back up.

• 2Like

Juvarisx

Florida
The car stunts are no more unrealistic than John Wick getting hit by multiple moving cars among other shit and popping back up.

I'd say John Wick still has some realism left in them since you know he is the one doing the stunts but yea they are getting there too. But F&F is on a whole different level in how unrealistic it is. You could argue that maybe the bullet proof suit absorbs a lot of the shock from the car or something else to justify it, there is zero explanation for the shit they do now in the F&F movies.

Im not saying they are bad, they are in their own class of movies where all you can do to rate them is to compare them to the other F&F movies and that in itself is an accomplishment.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I'd say John Wick still has some realism left in them since you know he is the one doing the stunts but yea they are getting there too. But F&F is on a whole different level in how unrealistic it is. You could argue that maybe the bullet proof suit absorbs a lot of the shock from the car or something else to justify it, there is zero explanation for the shit they do now in the F&F movies.

Im not saying they are bad, they are in their own class of movies where all you can do to rate them is to compare them to the other F&F movies and that in itself is an accomplishment.
That bulletproof suit is more insane then any car in Fast and Furious. Lol. I had a hard time with John Wick 4 because it went past the suspension of belief from the last 3.

As for F&F there is no competition for that type of movie. Especially the last 10+ years where Superhero movies have dominated in the action category.

• 2Like

j00t

That bulletproof suit is more insane then any car in Fast and Furious. Lol. I had a hard time with John Wick 4 because it went past the suspension of belief from the last 3.

As for F&F there is no competition for that type of movie. Especially the last 10+ years where Superhero movies have dominated in the action category.
That's really the ONLY genre it can be compared to. Just because they aren't wearing CGI suits it doesn't mean it's not a superhero movie

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
That's really the ONLY genre it can be compared to. Just because they aren't wearing CGI suits it doesn't mean it's not a superhero movie
You could call almost any action movie a suerhero movie then.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
The issue with this series that they didn't sell it as a superhero genre set of films. You watch the first one and you're thinking, oh shit! We're gonna see some NASCAR-level pros doing cool car shit! Evel Knievel shit!

But then, out of fucking nowhere, it's live-action anime with cars. I can handle dragon and magic-user, and mystical ninjas, when that's what I'm going into the theatre for. But if you get me expecting Tom Cruise stunts and instead give me Crouching Honda Flying Mustang, that disconnect is going to annoy me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

lol momoa was the only good part of Fast X. he got paid "only" $5m for the role too, wild

The reason Vin is pissed is because Momoa gave him an ultimatum during production.

He does it his way, or he doesn't do it at all. Of course that's not going to sit well with Vin as a producer-- who has a say and control over every aspect of these movies.

It's a matter of principle. And he can blame Momoa since he gave him the clearance he asked for during filming. If it was all Vin on creative, then Vin has to take the blame. He just regrets giving Momoa freedom to do what he wanted. If it underperforms, Vin would rather have it be because he himself made poor decisions. Not because he caved in and let someone jerk off on the set.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The reason Vin is pissed is because Momoa gave him an ultimatum during production.

He does it his way, or he doesn't do it at all. Of course that's not going to sit well with Vin as a producer-- who has a say and control over every aspect of these movies.

It's a matter of principle. And he can blame Momoa since he gave him the clearance he asked for during filming. If it was all Vin on creative, then Vin has to take the blame. He just regrets giving Momoa freedom to do what he wanted. If it underperforms, Vin would rather have it be because he himself made poor decisions. Not because he caved in and let someone jerk off on the set.
Yeah, cool story, but most reviews weren't lamenting Momoa's performance. So you can't say that it's his fault when he gave one of the elements that was more commonly seen as a positive.

j00t

this just randomly showed up on my youtube feed and... honestly the onion could have made this joke for any of the movies and it'd still be appropriate