Fear the Walking Dead

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fearthe Plodding Dead.

So the military wore down a lot faster than expected. (only a few more days have passed this week?) As we guessed they spread themselves too thin even though their strategy actually seemed pretty sound.

They covered 50 hour shifts, extreme PTSD, desertions, mutiny (assuming they capped their commander), mass triage, the pussking being unable to pull the trigger, all the expected shit. We're already at "pull back and nuke it from orbit."

Obviously they don't go far enough because Atlanta isn't a smoking crater on TWD when it damn well should be. It'd be neat if they nuke LA and that's what causes the military and government to collapse and makes further containment impossible.

They could totally rip off the intro of Wargames just because it's awesome. "omg we just nuked LA!" "Turn your key!" "Fuck you Michael Madsen!"

I fully expect someone to use a pic of the daughter slutting it up with her step bro and slap Brazzers on it.
When Michael Madsen instructs you to turn the key you better damn well comply.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Or I suppose my main argument is shit is happening but not being shown. Alright so the big revelation of this episode is the military is planning a full withdraw and they'll kill the humans. But instead it looks like the military is collapsing prior to that.
See, that's the problem I have with the show so far. I cannot fathom how slow moving zombies could in any way pose a threat to military personnel armed to the teeth. And, honestly, I don't think the writers do either because of how they didn't show what happened during those fire fights. All we get is screaming and yelling through the comm and we just assume, oh shit, things went bad "somehow".

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
See, that's the problem I have with the show so far. I cannot fathom how slow moving zombies could in any way pose a threat to military personnel armed to the teeth. And, honestly, I don't think the writers do either because of how they didn't show what happened during those fire fights. All we get is screaming and yelling through the comm and we just assume, oh shit, things went bad "somehow".
World War Z (book) got the closest,...because the military decided to dickwag and it got way out of control....aka theyRumsfeld Doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Ganthorn

N00b
That particular scene I chalked it up to they said they had been up 50 hours and they did something dumb like charge into the building instead of standing outside and making noise and luring them out etc.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
He said there are something like 2000 zombies in that stadium. There is no way they aren't getting out especially after we saw the father go and verify it.
Oh of course they will get out. But to suggest that was the armies plan is silly. Or that they are the tool for cobalt.

Army out 2000 people in the arena to make a safe Zone and a hit broke out. They sealed all the doors to prevent them getting loose. Simple as that. And now torture dad has set his sights on it.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
That particular scene I chalked it up to they said they had been up 50 hours and they did something dumb like charge into the building instead of standing outside and making noise and luring them out etc.
They also had a squad pinned down that they would want to get to and save. Couldn't just stand outside and hope the zombies come out for a little noise.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not to mention in TWD source riot gear makes you basically invulnerable to zombies yet we see no one with access to riot gear wearing it

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
A TV show doesn't have the money to pull this off. MILLIONS of zombies will eventually overpower a small military force. They'll run out of ammo before they kill them all. Just not possible for AMC to show that scope.

Tenks

A TV show doesn't have the money to pull this off. MILLIONS of zombies will eventually overpower a small military force. They'll run out of ammo before they kill them all. Just not possible for AMC to show that scope.
Yes they can. These shows make gonzo money and 95% of the "cast of zombies" for the scale shots would simply be CGI like how Game of Thrones creates crowds.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, well considering we've never seen that I'm going to assume that it isn't possible considering FTWD's much smaller budget in comparison to Game of Thrones.

Tenks

It is more AMC is stingy with the budget for TWD. Quick google says GoT has double the budget per episode. But the fact remains it isn't that difficult with modern technology to fake a crowd of zombies. TWD just doesn't do it. They'd prefer to focus on retards doing retard things and getting jumped by a ninja zombie who somehow stopped making sounds and stopped groaning for an entire scene.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
CGI still costs money, but I agree that they could do more to show a realistic situation in which a military force would be overwhelmed.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The point is how do the zombies get to a millions strong force?

Sure, misinformation and ignorance can help the zombies multiply and some areas would be initially vulnerable (hospitals), but at a certain point you would think they would figure shit out. Unless you literally had an entire major city all die at the sametime and resurrect as zombies, it seems like it would be hard for them to reach the critical mass to overtake a nation's military.

Something like the WWZ movie or DOTD remake are more believable in terms of civilization ending because the zombies reanimate in less than a minute and run like an Olympic sprinter, even though they can only spread via bites. By the time anyone knew what was going on, the shit had already hit the fan and it was too late.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Imagine a world where there are no preconceived notions of what zombies are. I can imagine the reaction to living dead being not very predictable under those conditions.

Ome

Trakanon Raider
I don't buy it. Within the first encounter where you learn head shots kill whatever it may be, would be the beginning of the end for slow zombies.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I don't buy it. Within the first encounter where you learn head shots kill whatever it may be, would be the beginning of the end for slow zombies.
This would just be viewed as disinformation in a world where we don't know it ahead of time. It's just not a message that would universally reach the populace and be impactful before the outbreak reaches a saturation point. Military and police are trained to shoot at the body. Everyone else isn't a trained marksmen. Joe Blow off the street isnt going to be able to pick up a glock and fire off head shots like what happens in these shows.

Ganthorn

N00b
The point is how do the zombies get to a millions strong force?

Sure, misinformation and ignorance can help the zombies multiply and some areas would be initially vulnerable (hospitals), but at a certain point you would think they would figure shit out. Unless you literally had an entire major city all die at the sametime and resurrect as zombies, it seems like it would be hard for them to reach the critical mass to overtake a nation's military.

Something like the WWZ movie or DOTD remake are more believable in terms of civilization ending because the zombies reanimate in less than a minute and run like an Olympic sprinter, even though they can only spread via bites. By the time anyone knew what was going on, the shit had already hit the fan and it was too late.
I agree. Z Nation, WWZ etc makes more sense because when they turn it is nearly instant and they movie quick so it spreads like wildfire. In the most recent episode of Z Nation a truck bed of like 6+ people turn from 1 dieing and becoming zombie to all of them in like 30 seconds which would make sense for stuff to get out of hand. The only way for the slow turning in TWD to make sense would be if the initial outbreak was also a plague type illness where a large chunk of the populace get sick and die.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Slow moving zombies over-running anything can't be explained easily. We have seen large gaps in the time-line, it sort of started and then jump to - 3 weeks* later they're in a 'safe-haven'. The writers would rather do that than show it in detail.

So now the writers have set up an Arena with 2,000 zombies. Even slow walkers, it's too large a force for any medium sized defenders to repel. Oh well, at least watching it play out should be okay.

* was it 3 weeks?? Not too sure, but something like that.