Fertilizer plant explodes in West, Texas

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I know fertilizer can be explosive, but I would have never guessed that a fertiziler plant had that potential to explode. I just assumed that you could make a bomb by processing fertiziler. So yeah, I bear no judgement on a guy who stopped what looks like a mile away from a factory that's on fire.
According to the internet, which obviously makes me an expert, part of what happens at those places is the capture of the gases and other chemicals the stuff exudes/breaks down in to. Some of those gases/chemicals being nitrate and other such highly explosive things.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
If you look on the left, you can see something come in from the air right before the explosion

PROBABLY A MISSILE

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Seismograph of the blast

rrr_img_21540.jpg

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Awesome dad! "Hey kids how's about we go drive up to that burning fertilizer plant to get a better view!"
Even if he knew it was a plant full of nitrate, they were still quarter of a mile out, easy. There was no way to predict THAT kind of explosion given the distances involved. I'm sure in the coming weeks we'll find this company violated several storage regulations on how much fertilizer they could store in a single area--every time there is one of these explosions, that's almost always the story afterword.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Looks like two (only way I can describe it atm) lightning bolts of fire came just to the left of the camera that looks like it could have hit him. Kick ass video he captured (at least from the gif not the actual upload lol) and I am glad he caught it, hope his kids are ok, that really shook me the kid pleading with the father to get out of there.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Even if he knew it was a plant full of nitrate, they were still 3/4 of a mile out, easy. There was no way to predict THAT kind of explosion given the distances involved. I'm sure in the coming weeks we'll find this company violated several storage regulations on how much fertilizer they could store in a single area--every time there is one of these explosions, that's almost always the story afterword.
Stupid government regulations

Desidero

N00b
That's pretty crazy. There were a bunch of houses in range as well as the nursing home that someone mentioned.

Here's where the guy seems to be. The yellow dot is the truck's location (school parking lot), and the red dot is the explosion site:
rrr_img_21543.jpg

...and here's an overlay to show parts of town that would've felt about the same force as the guy in the truck:
rrr_img_21542.jpg

--
Spoiler because I can't seem to delete a bad attachment from this post and it shows up automatically if I don't insert it inline...
rrr_img_21541.jpg

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Ugh...huge apartment complex right next door. Those poor people...(goes for everyone involved of course)

ugh. been a bad few days.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
good thing thing they have a hospital next door, unless that thing is in shambles too

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The structure on the right side of N. Reagan St is a two story apartment complex. The entire upper floor was destroyed by the blast, hoping everyone got out well before the blast. The structure on the left of that road was the old-folks home, no idea what its condition is now, but I'd think it took a heavy hit.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Holy shit that video is insane, I feel really bad for making a Biff Tannen joke on Facebook earlier. Last I heard there were no casualties...

EDIT: When I say last I heard I mean before posting that joke.