Fight Club

No it is not new but I can't think of a movie I think about more than Fight Club. I just thought it would be cool to have a thread dedicated to such an inspirational movie. Not inspirational in the sense that it changed my life but I'd say up to a couple of days a week I am reminded of it in some way. Not the best movie of all time for me, although close, but it was very thought provoking. Mods lock if Movie House is only upcoming releases. If not feel free to discuss anything about the movie.

One thing I just read not to too long ago is that they were considering Russel Crowe for Tyler Durden. I mean maybe he could have pulled it off but wouldn't that have been weird as fuck? I also read Reese Witherspoon as Marla was an option LOL. I can't picture the movie any with anyone different. Just no way.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Great movie and pretty prescient considering that the book came out almost 20 years ago now. I think that the world is much more preoccupied with nonsense than we were even 20 years ago. I think Tyler Durden would definitely have a lot to say about everyone sitting around staring into their smartphones all day.

I think I can picture Crowe as Durden but I can't really imagine Reese getting gritty enough to pull off Marla. Honestly I can't really picture Marla as a blonde, it just doesn't go with her character.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think my opinion of this movie is highly skewed by my age when it was released. Which leads me to wonder what is today's Fight Club for teenagers? And I can't come up with anything. It's all shit.

Fight Club is a good movie that gets a huge bump from it's quotability. I'm increasingly disappointed by the amount of people that don't get Fight Club quotes.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Good movie and book. Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favorite contemporary authors for sure.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I used to work with a guy named Robert Paulson and every time I saw his name in my email inbox I would think "His name is Robert Paulson" and then "Bob had bitch tits" and then I would giggle at my desk for a while.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Definitely thought provoking. I never really thought about consumerism and being wrapped up in all that bullshit like I did after watching the movie. The movie is partly why I just dont give a shit about "stuff" and competing with the Jonses like everyone gets wrapped up in, especially int he suburbs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I remember when it came out in theatres, i don't know if it was nc17, but age requirement was heavily enforced. I'm 19(ish?) taking my gf(now wife) out on a date, and just watch the latest movies, we don't even know what shit is out, literally just look at the theatre billboard and go, "fight club, ok". They put an extra guy next to the ticket guy, he needs to see our ID's, we show our college ID's, he needs to see a DOB. We're in NY, you don't need a license and at the time our college ID's was enough, nope Fight Club was too extreme it was in the news. I mean in the end he was nice about, he just go exchange the tickets for some PG movie and he'll let us in (basically telling us to swap theatres).

I watched it and was like holy shit, that was awesome.

I'm gonna pull an old fogey on here and say watching movies was better back then, cuz the internet wasn't as prevalent and trailers were only see in movies, instead of finding shit out cuz of a yahoo news blip.

Then I find out the fat guy(bob) is the "anything for love" guy (meatloaf), i'm like damn that song played like crazy on MTV.

Brad2770

I really enjoyed this movie, but I never worshipped it like others did. I have seen it twice, maybe three times. The only thing that left me confused was why they spliced in the brief dick shots. Was that in reference to the scene where he did similar things working at the theatre or did it have a greater purpose?

I'm gonna pull an old fogey on here and say watching movies was better back then, cuz the internet wasn't as prevalent and trailers were only see in movies, instead of finding shit out cuz of a yahoo news blip.
Very VERY good point. I was 15 or 16 at the time when I rented it. I thought it was just about a fight club. I expected something like Bloodsport lol. It was one of those movies where I was legitimately mind-fucked the first time I watched it. I mean WTF. These days trailers give away too much and the internet gives away even more. This is why I do not read anything but spoiler free reviews when it comes to new games. I can't stand knowing what is going to happen. For instance when Resident Evil 5 came out I didn't read anything about it. I played through the game blindly and when I got to the part where Jill ended up being the beak lady, I was like holy shit wtf. Didn't see that one coming. Man I miss those days.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I really enjoyed this movie, but I never worshipped it like others did. I have seen it twice, maybe three times. The only thing that left me confused was why they spliced in the brief dick shots. Was that in reference to the scene where he did similar things working at the theatre or did it have a greater purpose?
Meta bro. meta. also dicks is funny.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
It's definitely one of my top 5 favorite movies. It's also the inspiration for the name of my holding company.
rrr_img_77979.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It's definitely one of my top 5 favorite movies. It's also the inspiration for the name of my holding company.
rrr_img_77979.jpg
haha, one of my beer league team names is Project Mayhem, and our logo is a space monkey. Not my idea, but I like it.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd already stopped doing acid by the time Fight Club came out... but seeing it in theaters really was something. There's only 3 movies I've ever seen that have felt like an acid trip, none of them made by David Lynch, and Fight Club was one of them.

It was a very powerful movie for the young men.

Fight Club 2 seems to be in the works as a comic or graphic novel.

Fight Club 2 | The Cult

"The sequel will be told from the-- at first-- submerged perspective of Tyler Durden as he observes the day-to-day tedium of the narrator's life. Because 20th Century-Fox created the convention of calling the protagonist Jack, I'm calling him Cornelius. He's living a compromised life with a failing marriage, unsure about his passion for his wife. The typical midlife bullshit. Likewise, Marla is unsatisfied and dreams of accessing the wild man she'd once fallen in love with. She tampers with the small pharmacy of drugs that her husband needs to suppress Tyler, and-- go figure-- Tyler reemerges to terrorize their lives."

This could be interesting. Like someone said above, I think Tyler would have a lot to say about how preoccupied we are with technology and consumerism these days. Everyone walking around with their phone shoved in their face. I would love to see a movie out of this with the original cast of course but won't hold my breathe.

I wanted to make another comment. I read the book and this is one of those times I think the movie is actually better than the book. Maybe it is because I had seen the movie first so I already had an idea of how these characters should look and act. I don't know but I definitely enjoyed the movie a lot more than the book. Edward Nortan + Brad Pitt combo was just too powerful.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw this thread and thought there was going to be a remake/reboot/prequel/sequel/marketing bonanza. Don't upset me like that.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Good movie and book. Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favorite contemporary authors for sure.
He lost me after Rant. Rant was great, Haunted was ok but seemed like shock just for shock's sake, then Snuff I got about halfway through before I was just like meh, whatever.

Survivor, Choke, Lullaby, Diary, Rant, Fight club, all classics though.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
People ask me sometimes what it's like to be a paramedic and I often reply with a Fight Club quote: "After a night in fight club, everything in the real world gets the volume turned down."