Films off the beaten path

Sugarhigh_sl

shitlord
Not necessarily "off the beaten path" but High Fidelity is a entertaining Romantic Comedy based on the book written by Nick Hornby
Most people i know havent seen this movie which is why i felt the need to mention it here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0146882/

I loved the book and i feel the movie does it justice

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dead Man's Shoes looks fantastic, makes me realize I should add trailers to my list

Take Shelter
The Lookout
Beau Travail
Animal Kingdom
Tiny Furniture (basically a movie version sequel to "Girls")
The Proposition - already linked
Chungking Express
Shame
Jeff Who Lives At Home
Adaptation

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
This is a relatively recent movie and I'm not sure how mainstream it is, but nobody I've ever mentioned it to has seen it. Its one of the 5 best movies I've seen in the last 2 years.

Warrior

It is somewhat cliche' but still very well done. Tom Hardy got ripped for this movie before playing Bane in TDKR. While there is MMA in the movie, it is not an MMA movie. The MMA is used as a backdrop to tell a story.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Dead Man's Shoes looks fantastic, makes me realize I should add trailers to my list
I'm rather glad you added the trailers. I watched Chungking Express on TV sometime in the 90's and loved it, but forgot the name of the film and was unable to revisit it. Thank you, sir.

Oldbased

> Than U
Battle Royale.

Thank you guys for this, I found it on Netflix and would have never watched it had it not been posted here.
Damn good movie!

Szlia

Sayat Nova really is a UFO, but's interesting to see how its powerful imagery contaminated the work of many current directors. Mark Romanek and Tarsem come to mind.

Gadjo Dilo is as energetic and full of life as her main actress Rona Hartner. It was a breakthrough performance, but as far as I know, it remains her best part to this day. I have never been a huge fan of Romain Duris though as he a tendency to come off as a jackass even when the script does not call for it, but another good film with him is The Beat That My Heart Skipped (De battre mon coeur s'est arr?t?) because he actually is playing the part of a jackass who tries to become a better man.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
not sure of the average age of the peeps here, but if you haven't seen "life is beautiful" (1997) check it out. amazing movie.
also, "wrestling with shadows" is a documentary on bret "the hit man" hart's life in the WWF. really pulls back the curtain on vince mcmahon and how much of an asshole he is and how seedy the professional wrestling industry is as a whole.

Cinema Paradiso

While not really 'off the beaten path' (it won the oscar in 1989 for foreign film), I'm willing to bet many here have never seen Cinema Paradiso. It's about a filmmaker remembering his childhood and how he grew to love movies. The score is done by Ennio Morricone. Hard to go wrong there. It's been said that this movie is responsible for reviving the Italian film industry, which later produced another awesome film mentioned above called Life is Beautiful.

Szlia

Let's make a little selection of (semi) recent italian movies.

We could start with some Nanni Moretti... a kind of political version of Woody Allen in a way. He made two very funny auto-fictions in the '90sDear DiaryandAprileand followed that by a drama about a family of analysts ravaged by the death of their son:The Son's Room. More recently he also made a vitriolic biopic on Berlusconi titledThe Caiman.

To go on in this political vein, there is biopic by Paolo Sorrentino on Giulio Andreotti,Il Divo, a cunning politician who somehow managed to be the prime minister of Italy seven times and remain a political force through decades of scandals. Very inspired and stylish film making in this one.

Italian scandals? Sounds like a good time to mention Mateo Garrone'sGomorrah. A totally de-romanticized portrait of the mafia through a broad array of characters. Chilling.

Let's escape the gutter and conclude on a solar movie:I Am Love. Tilda Swinton is the alien body in a super wealthy family of industry owners in Milan, but as her children grow adults and heirs to the throne quarrel, she finds unexpected solace (and torment) in love and memories. Sublime cinematography and a magnificent score (of pre existing music) by John Adams for a movie that goes from cold haute-bourgeoisie to warm lyricism.