Films off the beaten path

Szlia

Primer is, for my money, the best movie about time travel there is, not only because of its amazing narrative structure (a number of key events are talked about, not seen), but because it chooses to go at the theme the hard sf way.

That said, I am both happy and pissed off because I just saw the writer and director of Primer (Shane Carruth) has a new movie set for release in 2013, Upstream Color, that seems to be built around an idea I had in the back of my mind for a while. Bah... for all I know there were already 7543 sf novels and short stories using this "original" idea.

Simas_sl

shitlord
All the Real Girls - David Gordon Green's second movie, starring Paul Schneider (early Parks and Rec), Zooey Deschanel, Danny McBride, and Nucky's Brother/The Sheriff. Recommended if you liked Blue Valentine.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I will strongly agree with Bronson, great movie. Just watched Super with Rainn Wilson. Strange but fun, wouldn't say you have to watch it but worth checking out, much better than KickAss.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super...American_film)
Bronson was excellent, it also had a really sweet soundtrack to it.

does anyone like time travel flicks? heres a little known one called Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel. its has a very Douglas Adams's Hitchhikers Guide feel to it.
http://veehd.com/video/4640177_Frequ...me-Travel-2009
that link will ONLY work if you register for free on the site. dont bitch at me if you click the play link and your dumb ass gets some kind of spam message about installing a player

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Primer is, for my money, the best movie about time travel there is, not only because of its amazing narrative structure (a number of key events are talked about, not seen), but because it chooses to go at the theme the hard sf way.

That said, I am both happy and pissed off because I just saw the writer and director of Primer (Shane Carruth) has a new movie set for release in 2013, Upstream Color, that seems to be built around an idea I had in the back of my mind for a while. Bah... for all I know there were already 7543 sf novels and short stories using this "original" idea.
Yeah, I was shocked by how good this movie was. If not for the internet I never would have even heard of it. Last I checked he hadn't made anything new and his next long gestating project was some bullshit love story. It is good to hear he is working. If I was a studio exec, upon seeing that shit I would have hired this guy immediately.

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
Downfall- Traudl Junge, the final secretary for Adolf Hitler, tells of the Nazi dictator's final days in his Berlin bunker at the end of WWII.

The full movie is available onHulu.

Erwick42_sl

shitlord
I'm in the middle of watchingExit Through the gift shop. it's a pretty good doc/film.

Related:
rrr_img_8050.jpg

rrr_img_8051.jpg

banksy_clipstone_crop.jpg

mysterion_sl

shitlord
I am not a Hipsterif you like indie singer/songwriter music i think you're gonna dig this. If not, i still recommend this. i thought the main character and his sisters were awesome.
Celeste and Jesse foreverthough starring rashida jones and andy samberg it's not a comedy, so dont expect any SNL funny. probably more mainstream than most of the movies recommended here.
The Perks of being a wallflowerComing-of-Age story starring Emma Watson. This movie is interesting even if you're long out of high school

The Great Happiness Space- A documentary on Japanese host boys who are paid by women to fake a relationship. The funniest part to me was that some of these women are prostitutes themselves.
I used to follow a blog ten years back or so written by a white guy doing this in Japan. He made bank and pounded a lot of poon (lotta pics so it musta happened). He claimed he walked away with almost $300K before he packed it in. He was an arrogant fuck, but the blog was really entertaining if you had any experience living in Japan.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I really loved Perfume, based on the Patrick Suskind book. It has Alan Rickman and Dustin Hoffman in it and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Also, I don't know how indie it is, but Clooney and Wilkinson were both really amazing in Michael Clayton.

Isengard_sl

shitlord
Sayat Nova really is a UFO, but's interesting to see how its powerful imagery contaminated the work of many current directors. Mark Romanek and Tarsem come to mind.

Gadjo Dilo is as energetic and full of life as her main actress Rona Hartner. It was a breakthrough performance, but as far as I know, it remains her best part to this day. I have never been a huge fan of Romain Duris though as he a tendency to come off as a jackass even when the script does not call for it, but another good film with him is The Beat That My Heart Skipped (De battre mon coeur s'est arr?t?) because he actually is playing the part of a jackass who tries to become a better man.

I hear you on Romain Duris, there's something about him that one always associate with the "typical french jerk" stereotype. But i liked his performance on Gadjo Dilo. The Beat That My Heart Skipped was decent.

A few more suggestions:

Richard Lester's The Bed Sitting Room

Ken Loach's Family Life

Alain Tanner's Requiem (try also Dans La Ville Blanche)

Murnau's Sunrise

Dreyer's Gertrud

Ozu's T?ky? Monogatari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNUzimUStwg

Edgar Pero's Manual de Evas?o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooMICa5C9Vs

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
La Haine
Das Experiment
Lady Vengeanceis actually part of the Vengeance Triology (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance,Oldboy and Lady Vengeance).
the 1st,imo, is the worst.the 2nd i think everyone knows but my oh my,i love the 3rd and still can't decide which one is better.

PS:i'm now on a spree of Asian cinema (Japanese,Korean,Hong-Kong,......) and i'm really enjoying it.

Caliane

Happiness - probably the darkest comedy I've ever seen.
Christ what a piece of shit.

FU for tricking me into checking this out.
How does this even get made? why are these actors in this? why did you call it a comedy at all? Dark comedy finds satire and irony in its dark jokes. there were no jokes. Its not a comedy. The only joke is the irony of the title.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I really like Tarkovsky movies. Its not for everyone, since there is no action and and long drawnout sequences with hardly any dialouge.

Stalker:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/

Solaris:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/?ref_=sr_2

Both are SciFi-movies with philosophical themes and classics of the soviet cinema.

Another director I really like is Takeshi Kitano. Some probalby know him from Takeshis Castle, but he really makes good movies. His most famous probably is Hana-Bi.