Final Fantasy 16

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It looks like shit but it's a fantasy setting so 9/10. OK...
Combat mechanics and setting have nothing to do with each other. I like the setting too but the combat shown so far is a ‘no buy’ from me based on their past action combat.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Like others, I like the setting, but "meh" on look and sceptical about combat. Then again, the combat in FF 7 remake grew on me in the later stages, but as it started to get good as you could build up combos and slot more materias, the game ended. Considering this is an actual full game with a compete set of abilities, it might not be that bad? If it is end game FF 7 remake type combat, that might be good, if it is more of the floaty combat of FF 15, then no. Since its been in development for a long wile, Square might have used FF 15 combat as the evolving benchmark and not FF 7 remake which was probably only a year into development when this game began.

I do wish they'd go back to turn based combat though, but the FF series might be done with that. Hopefully a new Dragon Quest game will come soon. Will certainly buy the new Yakuza game as well to support a title that actually went from action towards turn based.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I do wish they'd go back to turn based combat though, but the FF series might be done with that. Hopefully a new Dragon Quest game will come soon. Will certainly buy the new Yakuza game as well to support a title that actually went from action towards turn based.

The Bravely series is more or less your "old school" Final Fantasy vibes going forward.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems the game will not be a sprawling open world game like 15, rather it will have various areas you will travel to and experience. The game will also be the standard party based rpg that FF has had, but the party members will be AI controlled, with the player only controlling Clive.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Insane Tifa tricks is fucking fun and effective though, one of the best parts of the game is learning how to use her properly.

FF7R's flaws are it's sidequests/filler being MMO dogshit and the setting not being cyberpunk anymore with daytime zones and plain NPCs. The combat is excellent.

The sidequests in FF7 weren't bad at all, and they gave me something to do during a couple of the duller chapters. I agree completely on the daytime zones though. It's the same problem Terminator Salvation had. Doesn't feel like the night world fans were expecting, and as a result hurts the mythology. The NPCs were also boring AF. But mainly the daytime zones. Even if light does get into Lower Midgar, there shouldn't have been much of it. Barret in the original said they "couldn't see the sky" because of the plate, so any light should have been on the horizon if anything.

Seems the game will not be a sprawling open world game like 15, rather it will have various areas you will travel to and experience. The game will also be the standard party based rpg that FF has had, but the party members will be AI controlled, with the player only controlling Clive.

The more I hear about this one, the less interested I am. I'll play it because Final Fantasy was always my favorite series (up until 2015 or so when I started getting into Fromsoft games).

I'd like to play a gameplay-rich FF with classes and multiple interesting characters. I guess Bravely Default is the thing I want, never got into any of those though. Four Heroes of Light was sorta the predecessor to BD and I didn't enjoy that one much, which caused me to skip BD. The game is called Four Heroes and yet for at least half the game you're stuck with two characters. One has to be a healer, so you have one character to play with classes on...in a game whose entire selling point was having four characters to try different class combinations on. After that, never got into BD. The first couple (one?) of them being on portable doesn't help. Lot of 3DS games need to be ported to Switch.

In any case I'll play FF16 week-one like I did with FF15 and every other FF* but I don't have much hype for it. Way more hyped for FF7R-2.

* - The only FF since 6 that I didn't play on release day was 13, because I constantly heard how shite it was and wasn't interested. When I finally did get around to it a year or two later, I really liked it. The hallways and the dialogue were indeed shite, the battle system was really good once you figured it out though. I think a lot of the people hating 13 did so because they didn't fully grasp the battle system. At least, I've seen some 13-bashing videos where all the combat gameplay was them spamming 3x Comm, trying to enter commands manually, and complaining about how long all the fights took.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The main character is called Clive? Fuck's sake, what are his teammates called? Mavis and Bert?

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Looks great. Given the team behind it, I have high expectations

• 1WTF

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This is looking good so far.

Looks good, but I have to say, the battles remind me a lot of FF15. That is, all flash, no substance. Hope I'm wrong. Would love to see the battle system of one of the old games return (1-9, or 10, or 12, or even 13) rather than another action-oriented chaotic schmozz.

At least the characters are mostly actual grown adults for once.

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure on combat but I do like xenogears combat so hopefully it it's kinda like that?

Just saw some mire footage, looks more like bayonetta/dmc with AI? That could be good or it could just be a shallow mash fest with horrible AI

Last edited:

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I think they might have given away too much of the story in that trailer. I compare it to FFXV's marketing campaign which made a point not to give any spoilers past the first chapter of the game.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think they might have given away too much of the story in that trailer. I compare it to FFXV's marketing campaign which made a point not to give any spoilers past the first chapter of the game.
Yeah it did show way too much shit. Showing which chars can spaz out and what they look and act like when they do. As soon as you see each one in the game you’ll just be waiting for that to happen.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it did show way too much shit. Showing which chars can spaz out and what they look and act like when they do. As soon as you see each one in the game you’ll just be waiting for that to happen.
It felt like too much, but it's very possible this is only like half the game or maybe even less and the game is just frontloaded with a lot of exposition and then goes into an interesting direction. I don't know how much Yoshida has control over the trailers but the XIV trailers will often throw a bunch of misdirections that make you think they revealed way too much, and then it's really not that much. Endwalker especially had a trailer that made you think it was spoiling the entire story, but in fact it was showing stuff out of order and only covering some of the arcs, leaving out a lot of the big surprises out. If you look at the trailer it goes Garlemald > Thavnair being invaded > the Moon which sounds like a logical progression, but playing it it's way different than that with both Garlemald and the Moon being the first 3rd of the game and Thavnair being a bunch later and still obfuscate all the "real" story.

The people who can transform into summons being in positions of power or exploited by people of power was part of the whole setting so that's not much of a surprise and a lot are very obvious from their overall design(bald muscular black guy becomes Titan while beautiful woman becomes Garuda is like not super surprising). And obviously the whole part with the kid and the king getting killed happens in the first 5mins of the game since that's the setup to start the game so that's not much of a spoiler either.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It felt like too much, but it's very possible this is only like half the game or maybe even less and the game is just frontloaded with a lot of exposition and then goes into an interesting direction. I don't know how much Yoshida has control over the trailers but the XIV trailers will often throw a bunch of misdirections that make you think they revealed way too much, and then it's really not that much. Endwalker especially had a trailer that made you think it was spoiling the entire story, but in fact it was showing stuff out of order and only covering some of the arcs, leaving out a lot of the big surprises out. If you look at the trailer it goes Garlemald > Thavnair being invaded > the Moon which sounds like a logical progression, but playing it it's way different than that with both Garlemald and the Moon being the first 3rd of the game and Thavnair being a bunch later and still obfuscate all the "real" story.

The people who can transform into summons being in positions of power or exploited by people of power was part of the whole setting so that's not much of a surprise and a lot are very obvious from their overall design(bald muscular black guy becomes Titan while beautiful woman becomes Garuda is like not super surprising). And obviously the whole part with the kid and the king getting killed happens in the first 5mins of the game since that's the setup to start the game so that's not much of a spoiler either.
Think of it from the POV of someone that hasn’t played or seen anything from ff14 at all though. I had no idea about people in power transforming into summons. I don’t really care that much, just seemed spoilery. Cool if not~

Cybsled

I doubt it will be that much of a spoiler - they'll probably drop that lore nugget fairly early.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Think of it from the POV of someone that hasn’t played or seen anything from ff14 at all though. I had no idea about people in power transforming into summons. I don’t really care that much, just seemed spoilery. Cool if not~
Oh I meant it's similar to how FFXIV trailers are done, not how FFXIV does the story. The guys transforming into summons is specific to this, it happens a couple of times in XIV but that's not the common ways you encounter them in that. However, it's something they've talked about and shown in the previous much smaller trailers, and it's likely something that'll be revealed in the first 5-10mins of the game. The king that gets killed and the kid that transforms is likely the prologue/intro to the game, since that's what spurs your character to go on an adventure they've mentionned before. Similar to how XV starts with the invasion of your kingdom and your father gets killed and you go into exile right at the start. Like if you see that out of context in a trailer you might think "damn that's a huge surprise they've spoiled in the trailer", but playing it it's like the intro sequence and you don't even get to play before the part iirc.