Final Fantasy 16

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yes, although it tends to be in post game super boss territory and not towards the end of the base game.

But the story is also shit, so there's nothing to keep you interested until the sudden unfinished ending. The Zodiac Age version is much better.

Anyway, in order from left to right and MMOs being somewhat their own thing:
View attachment 439339
I haven't played 2 or 15 so going off what I have heard about the games. Only played the 3D version of 3 and half of 4.

I'd go get the Pixel Remaster versions of 2 through 4 and play them. I wish I could play any of them for the first time.

FF2 is worth a play...if it's the PR version, which fixes all of the original version's issues. The PSP version is also good, and the Dawn of Souls version is decent. The original Famicom FF2 is D-tier.

FF3's PR version is also very good, and very different from the 3D version to the point that it's basically a different game. They made the final dungeons much more palatable with autosave.

And FF4 just deserves a full run, it's got some iconic stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
FF8 actually has a good story and battle system but it does jump the shark a little storywise at the orphanage and you can ruin it by grinding draws which you are not supposed to do and isn't even the most efficient (refining is). So idiots hate it.
Everything about 8 was bad, the story, the characters, the shitty draw system, and the scaling bosses. Only thing that didn’t completely suck was the card game but it’s not nearly enough to save the game from being truly awful

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
FF2 PR version is actually pretty good. Kawazu was one of the main designers so you can see the early version of systems that would later be used in the SaGa games. If you like that series you will like FF2.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Everything about 8 was bad, the story, the characters, the shitty draw system, and the scaling bosses. Only thing that didn’t completely suck was the card game but it’s not nearly enough to save the game from being truly awful
...whatever.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I gotta go with Chris on this one and say FF8 is a worthwhile game. Maybe it's my nostalgia talking. The visuals were amazing in 99, and the game was pretty well-balanced for me. Then again I never grinded draws, and I think I leveled up normally, so the difficulty felt pretty leveled-out for most of it.

On later playthroughs I grinded draws and ran from fights, which left me wildly OP while the enemies were all low-level for the whole game. That made the game completely unbalanced and not much fun. I could also see things going in the other direction, if someone doesn't draw much and grinds EXP, then has the enemies vastly outpace their characters to the point that the game becomes too hard.

Point is, FF8 can go a few different ways based on how you play it, and I can see how it could end up sucking. In my own experience, it didn't.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

joz123

Potato del Grande
Draw/junction system was beyond broken in FF8. You could max out everyone's stats just by playing the card game and refining shit into spells.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FF2 PR version is actually pretty good. Kawazu was one of the main designers so you can see the early version of systems that would later be used in the SaGa games. If you like that series you will like FF2.

SaGa games are the very definition of "mixed bag"...sometimes they're a ton of fun, other times they're borderline nonsensical and totally unbalanced.

Personally I enjoyed every SaGa game I ever played, to varying degrees. FFL1 and 2 on the Game Boy were fantastic, and RS3's remaster / SaGa Frontier are both a good time. RS2 and FFL3 are a bit more hit/miss. I still have SaGa Frontier 2 (remaster coming soon) and Romancing SaGa 1 to go.

I hear RS1 is completely archaic and brutal to try to play now.

However, when I hear a retro RPG is archaic and unplayable, my reaction is like

1666516216237.png

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
7 > 6 > tactics > 8 > 10 > 12 > the rest

Also this looks nice, I like the darker feel. Looks like its PS5 exclusive for 6 months?

• 2Like

Cybsled

Only thing that didn’t completely suck was the card game but it’s not nearly enough to save the game from being truly awful

It was a shame that Triple Triad in FF9 was complete ass compared to FF8. I'm glad FF14 copied FF8's Triple Triad for their in-game card game.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
Preach recently been playing ff8. It made me realize things about 8. The story concept is interesting but executed with weird choices.

The characters are more identifiable and normal people than most ff (I only played till 9 and then 14) but they were translated by retards in a game with like 2/3rd the dialog is banter.

The combat system is neat but they use retarded abbreviations and ghastly menus.

If you re translated ff8 with koji's talents. Re adjusted some story points with a better sequence of events, and let a competent team design the menus.... it would have been way better.

I still enjoyed it, but I was riding high on its high points and up to try its innovations

Fadaar

That guy
FF8 is still one of my favs but I'm a slack ass piece of shit and have never played any FFs prior to the PS1 era. So, nothing prior to 7. Really as long as you don't abuse ENC-NONE and CARD the game doesn't get too trivial. But I'll be honest, I do it every time. Much more fun to abuse mechanics.

If I had to rate the ones I've played to completion:

Didn't finish 15 but got far enough that I can safely put it last

The gap between the top 3 is pretty small, it's more like 1A/B for 7 and 10 and then 8 at #2. On the other hand the gap between 12 and 15 is pretty wide. I loved 9 and 12 as well just not quite as much as the other three. 15 is pretty alone in the basement.

At some point I need to attempt 10-2 again and play through the 13 trilogy.

Fadaar

That guy
Totally agree. Personally I think that 10 slightly beats 7 as a game because 7 is horribly dated in graphics and gameplay, but 7 wins for cultural impact.

Yeah pretty much. I prob put more hours into 10 than any other mainline FF but I think 7s story and characters are a notch above 10.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Enjoyed 7 and 8 - didnt care for 9 but liked 10. 12 was never finished and 13 i blocked from memory. 15 i enjoyed as it being a huge change in how they did the series but it had alot of fails as well.

Not sure how i feel about 16 since it seems youre just controlling 1 character the entire game.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
8 I never bothered to play very far because of the graphics, draw, junction etc systems. In time the community has found out ways to use the card game to make it less ass but it's still ass.
9 on PC with mods is in a good spot since you have speed ups and less loading, especially higher steal rates
12 had the retarded rare loot chest system and first NA release had the generic license board. Later releases and RNG being cracked for the chests made it more enjoyable
13 I played at launch, hated it while playing, did zero extra stuff beat it and never bothered with any part of that trilogy ever again
15 was shredded on the editing room floor, diced up for DLC, and if you watched the movie you were wondering when the hell the plotlines you wanted to see would happen. They didn't.

10 is spoken for plenty, X-2 if you got past the Jpop wasn't bad but probably not the sequel story anyone wanted
Pokemon one was.. odd I didn't play I watched Happy do it. Well done for what it was but not something I'd play myself

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I stopped after 13, but had played every prior entry in the series multiple times. Tactics is a masterpiece but not really part of this genre. My tastes differ from most, but I think that FF4 and FF6 were pinnacles of the series. Good story, mechanics, and characters. I enjoyed 12 a lot, in fact I am replaying it currently, but the story kind of falls flat in places and the grind is kind of stupid if you want to do all the optional shit in the game. I enjoyed 8 for what it was, but I am in the minority on that and can completely understand the hate it gets. I also have to say in retrospect that 7 probably sucked worse, with the fucked up story and weeaboo fan jerkoff boss, the horrific grind to get out of the fucking city at the start of the game, and the complete downer of an ending. FF10 had one great character with a good story arc (Auron) and a bunch of cringe. FF9 was decent, but basically a kids game. The rest of the older ones were fun, but nothing I would repeat.

So for me its-
Top Tier- FF4, FF6
Great Tier- FF8, FF1, FF5, FF12
Good for a play Tier- FF3, FF9, FF7
Shit Tier- FF2, FF13

That having been said, FF6 and FF12 are the only ones I ever replay, contrasted to Tactics which I replay at least once every two years. I tried doing the FF7 original and remake, but... FF7 is just where the gay got turned up to 11 and the emo dystopia completely overpowered everything else. Its like FF6 was such a powerful story with them actually ending the world, that they just kept on repeating that same idea but in dumber ways.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
FF10-2 is fantastic. I love the class system. I think I might enjoy that game more than 10-1, much like the situation with 13-2. I think 10-2 was also the last FF to use traditional ATB like 4-9.

The concert is fucking stupid but it's also like, one scene in the game that's right at the beginning. I'm sure someone at Square thought "the kids will love it" with that one.
Barbie Dress Up dance game had a story only a fan of WB TV could get into. Plus once you had two dark knights and an alchemist, you could faceroll your way through the entire game.

Cybsled

The combat in X2 was interesting and they leaned heavy into the eye candy fanservice outfits (like that one female villain having that massive cleavage neckline), but the story was ass

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Crazy how many of you missed 13-2. The ONLY bad thing about that game were paid boss dlc. That shit pissed me off to no end. Hard side boss fights are a staple to final fantasy and that was easily the scummiest thing square had done up to that point.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like