Final Fantasy 16

Chris

Potato del Grande
...well I was excited. Goddamnit.
Final Fantasy has never had open world exploration, it's had getting lost on a 2D overworld that's linear but doesn't look linear to pad out the game with random encounters.

FF12 was a bit different but ultimately it was just branching paths with nothing special to do on either path. It initially seemed amazing but was ultimately shallow.

FF15 I didn't play but I heard it had copy/paste dungeons on an overworld so what was there was lazy and incomplete.

• 1Moron
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 2 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Final Fantasy has never had open world exploration, it's had getting lost on a 2D overworld that's linear but doesn't look linear to pad out the game with random encounters.

FF12 was a bit different but ultimately it was just branching paths with nothing special to do on either path. It initially seemed amazing but was ultimately shallow.

FF15 I didn't play but I heard it had copy/paste dungeons on an overworld so what was there was lazy and incomplete.
Do I really have to explain the fact that I'm lamenting what sounds like a lack of exploration and freedom? Of course various FFs have locked out areas after certain story beats, but in general, they've encouraged exploring and allowed you to go off and do your own thing, quite often. It doesn't sound like that's the case here. If this game is on rails, the story better be fucking amazing.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I am not defending ff15 as I think it was a complete failure of a game, but it very much had open world exploration. The first half of the game was just a big open map with quests all over it, similar to any other open world game. The second half was more linear and had dungeons. It wasn’t lazy just rushed. You could tell they had to axe a bunch of stuff in the last half. The copy paste dungeons on an overworld description is not really accurate to describe the whole game.

Anyways, I don’t really care if there isn’t a big overworld map. Even just opening up a large area that you can wander around in like ff13 is enough to not feel super restricted like the first 3/4 of ff13 felt.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So the plan was to play this in the last 2 weeks of July while I am on vacation since I am playing Diablo 4 and Black Desert new expansion right now.

Seeing all the great reviews and everything and I was weak and got the game last night and started playing this morning before work for about 2.5 hours, think I went through what was the demo.

Damn that was good, so going to find a way to play this and Diablo 4, and put BDO on hold for a while, will log in for daily reward and stuff but will continue the expansion after I am done with this game.

I don't know how the difficulty will ramp up, but so far in "action mode" without using any of the items, it's been a breeze.

Lookig for forward to playing more tonight.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So the plan was to play this in the last 2 weeks of July while I am on vacation since I am playing Diablo 4 and Black Desert new expansion right now.

Seeing all the great reviews and everything and I was weak and got the game last night and started playing this morning before work for about 2.5 hours, think I went through what was the demo.

Damn that was good, so going to find a way to play this and Diablo 4, and put BDO on hold for a while, will log in for daily reward and stuff but will continue the expansion after I am done with this game.

I don't know how the difficulty will ramp up, but so far in "action mode" without using any of the items, it's been a breeze.

Lookig for forward to playing more tonight.
I think the difficulty will be in NG+ / Final Fantasy Mode.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think the difficulty will be in NG+ / Final Fantasy Mode.
They call their difficult setting Final Fantasy Mode? There has never really been challenge in a FF game outside of super bosses.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They call their difficult setting Final Fantasy Mode? There has never really been challenge in a FF game outside of super bosses.
Yea, there is a vid posted here talking about NG+, and the changes it brings.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Beat Benedicta (Garuda chick), gonna call it a night for now. Only using auto dog ring for "cheat" items. Environments look fantastic.
I ended up taking that one off too once I found anything else, the dodge one turns this game into even an old man can do a no hit run.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Dammit, I knew getting up at 5AM to play for 2 hours would end up being a bad idea at my age, and here I am at work and it's 10:45 and I can't stop yawning already.

I'm too old for this shit.

• 9Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I haven't played a main line FF game in... well a really long ass time. I watched someone play a chunk of the demo, and it looks like they have turned FF into a action RPG? Is there a party? Or just a single playable character? I am intrigued by this, I really dig a lot of action RPG's and the formula for the last few FF games has not interested me in the slightest.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So I haven't played a main line FF game in... well a really long ass time. I watched someone play a chunk of the demo, and it looks like they have turned FF into an action RPG? Is there a party? Or just a single playable character? I am intrigued by this, I really dig a lot of action RPG's and the formula for the last few FF games has not interested me in the slightest.
Yeah they’re action games now. FF15, FF7 remake, and FF16 have leaned into full action. Pressing square swings a sword, pressing triangle shoots a fireball, R1 dodges, circle warps you to the mob. Holding a trigger button turns those into new skills. You don’t select things from a menu to do attacks. There is some of that with selecting items in ff7r but not like the old games where every move was from a menu.

edit: Yeah there is a party. In ff15 you just played the main guy and could issue commands to others (I think, been a while). In ff7r you can switch between members on the fly. I don’t know about switching in 16, I haven’t got that deep into it, just played the demo. You do have party members though.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So I haven't played a main line FF game in... well a really long ass time. I watched someone play a chunk of the demo, and it looks like they have turned FF into a action RPG? Is there a party? Or just a single playable character? I am intrigued by this, I really dig a lot of action RPG's and the formula for the last few FF games has not interested me in the slightest.
Dude from Devil May Cry helped on the combat side and it shows.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dude from Devil May Cry helped on the combat side and it shows.
The DMC guy said FF16 is his best work. Seems to be the case, but it'll take awhile to get the combat rolling with all the various combos of Eikon attacks.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Did the day one patch put in the option for full button customization? The only bearable config (attacks on R1/R2) was still flawed when it came to dodging and using Eikon stuff. Just upgraded my RISE kit to RISE4 so I can probably fix it with back buttons, but it'd be nice to have full remap in game too.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Don't think the patch is out yet. My brain is screaming at me to hit O for evade but we can't swap R1 and O yet assuming the update lets us. Drives my muscle memory crazy.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Is the story bad or is it just too white for those morons?

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If Polygon says it’s bad I’m assuming I will fucking love it.

• 3Worf
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users