Final Fantasy 16

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Jesus christ this game is dark as fuck. God damn. Think more people lived by the end of GoT.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Gita Jackson- Polygon reviewer :

609935ab25031bac5fc379bc_Gita Jackson.jpg

• 5Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
My only criticism so far is motion blur. Other than that GOTY. Loving this

Ive never had an issue with motion blur before, but in this game it's making me sick. I actually have to look away from the screen every few minutes or risk getting dizzy.

Maybe it's the motion blur combined with the relatively close-follow camera and low FOV? I can't be sure, but it is super annoying.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
The motion blur does weird shit when you're near people. Only played like 2 hrs last night but noticed funky shit on faces when you moved the camera while near people.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is kinda fucked up that I’m about to go pay full price for a game I won’t touch for about a month because I only have 1-2h per night to game. And I’m doing it out of spite for certain people. Capitalism, fuck yeah.
Same but not because of spite, just getting into D4 and being on vacation most of July… will buy this now and get to it eventually. First time in years I’ve had a lineup of games that I’m actually going to play and not have sit on the digital shelf.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ive never had an issue with motion blur before, but in this game it's making me sick. I actually have to look away from the screen every few minutes or risk getting dizzy.

Maybe it's the motion blur combined with the relatively close-follow camera and low FOV? I can't be sure, but it is super annoying.
I read that turning on Performance mode decreases it significantly. I haven’t tried both to check it but I did play on performance mode and didn’t have motion blur issues so there may be some truth to it. Hopefully they add a toggle for it soon, as I turn it off in every game. Such a shit feature, idk anyone who likes it.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Pretty harsh review but I actually agree with a lot of the criticisms. Game for me is really getting carried by the story. Worthwhile Itemization and any type of complexity is missing. Maybe NG+/FF mode adds some of that back in. Agree with what was said before, the level of motion blur and FSR(?) or whatever it is is giving me headaches. Can see the blur/haze around everything when rotating the camera and its just baaaaaaad. Still really digging the game and can't wait to see where the story goes. Got to Titan's(?) area last night and those last story elements before hand were crazy.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
While unfortunate the items and complexity aren’t there if the story can carry it, cool I suppose. That’s how The Last of Us was for me, I thought the game play was ass but the characters and story were interesting enough that it was worth playing.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I'm like an hour past the end of the demo in terms of overall progression (spent quite a bit of time reading the lore on the 'x-ray mode' screen plus the library you find. The gameplay so far is 'meh' at best.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
If the gameplay really is that boring and the story is the only thing holding this together, I may just wait for the 5+ hour YouTube mash up of cut scenes and skip the $60 price tag.

• 2Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Eh the combat is great and story is great and graphically, it’s a sight to behold but yeah the RPG elements are super thin the camera needs zoomed out a bit and motion blur sucks.

Im so engaged in this thought that I’m not all that arsed about the non open world/flimsy rpg stuff. Kinda like TLOU but with much better combat and more OH SHIT/WOW moments.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I read that turning on Performance mode decreases it significantly. I haven’t tried both to check it but I did play on performance mode and didn’t have motion blur issues so there may be some truth to it. Hopefully they add a toggle for it soon, as I turn it off in every game. Such a shit feature, idk anyone who likes it.
Yea I decided to try Graphic mode first but the motion blur was insane. It went away with performance mode.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I honestly never thought FF really required that deep of gameplay. I mean even the deeper ones you could almost menu smash through and slap on mostly +gooder for all but the crazy bosses provided you didn’t do so shit crazy under level.

• 1Like

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Visually impressive, really. But is this really a FF game? Feels a bit fastfood. The quicktime scenes, idk how I feel about those.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I honestly never thought FF really required that deep of gameplay. I mean even the deeper ones you could almost menu smash through and slap on mostly +gooder for all but the crazy bosses provided you didn’t do so shit crazy under level.
The Esper system from FF VI and the Materia system from FF VII were the best RPG elements of the series.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've decided to bite the bullet and get a PS5 for this tomorrow.

With the comments on the RPG elements, to use a Star Wars analogy, this game is essentially "The Force Awakens" to FF13/FF15's prequel trilogy.

Final Fantasy was one bad game away from being a fallen franchise and the rehabilitation of FF14 is like "The Clone Wars" TV show for Star Wars keeping the IP relevent.

This game needs to wash away the bad taste of FF12, 13 and 15 not being finished and having shit stories. It needs to show, after FF13 and 15, that the battle system can be fun.

Sounds like it's doing that.

What I don't think it needs to do is have a complex character building system. Personally it's something I value and FF5/7/8/10 are my favorites because of it. But you fuckers like FF4 and FF9 and they have total on rails RPG elements with little input from the player.

I would like to see a FF17 with either an open world or complex character/party building though. We don't need a "Last Jedi" shitty follow up killing the IP for good.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1WTF

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would suggest to not play in Graphics mode until there is an option to disable to tone down the motion blur, its really harsh on Graphics mode, but not bad at all on Performance. Not sure how this game will be on the eventual PC port, but I imagine you'll need to brute force it to get 4k 60fps. Thankfully I have zero experience with the previous FF games, so the change to combat or lack of deep rpg systems doesn't bother me at all. I've been enjoying everything the game is offering (only a couple hours past demo though). Certain characters have huge death flags over them already though, sorry Clive, but I guess you'll have to suffer a lot more.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've decided to bite the bullet and get a PS5 for this tomorrow.

With the comments on the RPG elements, to use a Star Wars analogy, this game is essentially "The Force Awakens" to FF13/FF15's prequel trilogy.

Final Fantasy was one bad game away from being a fallen franchise and the rehabilitation of FF14 is like "The Clone Wars" TV show for Star Wars keeping the IP relevent.

This game needs to wash away the bad taste of FF12, 13 and 15 not being finished and having shit stories. It needs to show, after FF13 and 15, that the battle system can be fun.

Sounds like it's doing that.

What I don't think it needs to do is have a complex character building system. Personally it's something I value and FF5/7/8/10 are my favorites because of it. But you fuckers like FF4 and FF9 and they have total on rails RPG elements with little input from the player.

I would like to see a FF17 with either an open world or complex character/party building though. We don't need a "Last Jedi" shitty follow up killing the IP for good.
Man you are terrible at analogies.

• 1Like
  • 1Midwit