Final Fantasy 16

Cybsled

This game needs to wash away the bad taste of FF12, 13 and 15 not being finished and having shit stories. It needs to show, after FF13 and 15, that the battle system can be fun

That is why they brought YoshiP and CBU3 in to oversee and develop - the mainline FF games haven’t been critical or monetary successes like past titles, with FF14 and 7R being the only standouts

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
That is why they brought YoshiP and CBU3 in to oversee and develop - the mainline FF games haven’t been critical or monetary successes like past titles, with FF14 and 7R being the only standouts
Yeah it looks very promising, I trust Yoshi-P. I think he's single handedly saved the IP after telling the Square Enix suits that FF14 needed fixing or the brand is dead.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Is the story bad or is it just too white for those morons?

The latter. Resetera and the Usual Gaming Journo Suspects are just seething and colluding to amplify complaints about the game because they didn’t like Yoshi-P delivering a very polite, hedged answer regarding there why there aren’t enough stunning and brave genderqueer people of color in the game (i.e. [1] he stated that the game was based off of a medieval European setting and [2] he wanted to avoid accusations of tokenism.)

I’m in a number of large FF14 Discords (including some supremely pozzed ones that have mods with TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS profile tags), and even there, the general consensus is that the game’s weakness is its difficulty, not the characterization.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only thing holding this game is the performance, its OK, but given what else I've played this year (which looked nearly as good, Hogwarts / Lies of P), I find it disappointing. Rather impressed that the VA's they are using are capable of voicing emotion as good as JP voice actors.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If they up performance a bit across the board and mitigate the motion blur on Graphic oriented mode that would go a long way, earlier reports suggested that would happen in the first week but still ???.

High end PC cards could crush it at 4K60 no problem, this is simply 2019 tech the consoles have to work with.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ok so far my one issue is the english VO, switched to German and way better. May try Japanese later.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The Esper system from FF VI and the Materia system from FF VII were the best RPG elements of the series.
I agree. Job system also gets a mention from 5. But ff4 is my seminal favorite and it’s pretty cut and dry.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok so far my one issue is the english VO, switched to German and way better. May try Japanese later.
I tried JP at first, but the lip-syncing was so off that it was distracting, so back to English, totally fine with it.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I tried JP at first, but the lip-syncing was so off that it was distracting, so back to English, totally fine with it.

A lot of JP fans were apparently upset about the lip-syncing as well; Yoshi told them to play with English VAs/JP subs. Officially sanctioned "subs, no dubs."

Per some of my Discord contacts, there is also a quest named
Caulk and Bawl
somewhere in the game, too. :trollface:

• 1Worf

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know I'm being a boomer, but if this is Square's idea of "bringing back the crystals" to final fantasy then the series is officially dead. Over the top animations, interchangeable looking characters, button mashing action combat, and extremely thin RPG features.

I always wanted an FF6 remake, but with this shit I hope they never do it.

• 2Like
  • 2Pathetic
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh the combat is great and story is great and graphically, it’s a sight to behold but yeah the RPG elements are super thin the camera needs zoomed out a bit and motion blur sucks.

Im so engaged in this thought that I’m not all that arsed about the non open world/flimsy rpg stuff. Kinda like TLOU but with much better combat and more OH SHIT/WOW moments.
Sounds like a great game for PC.

• 2Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I have so many marks/sigils etc.. to show my alliance with various NPCS/Factions they've made me an honorary TGI Fridays staff member due to all the flair.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This thread is an emotional rollercoaster. Game is amazing. Game is awful. Game is ok.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
A lot of JP fans were apparently upset about the lip-syncing as well; Yoshi told them to play with English VAs/JP subs. Officially sanctioned "subs, no dubs."

Per some of my Discord contacts, there is also a quest named
Caulk and Bawl
somewhere in the game, too. :trollface:
Can confirm on that quest name rofl.

update:

1687575213996.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

Lenas

Trump's Staff
This thread is an emotional rollercoaster. Game is amazing. Game is awful. Game is ok.

Devil May Cry combat tunnels, God of War cinematic flair, MMO fetch side quests and every RPG element like gear, buffs, or elements stripped out. That's the complete package.

Oh and a lot of motion blur.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Final Fantasy has never had open world exploration, it's had getting lost on a 2D overworld that's linear but doesn't look linear to pad out the game with random encounters.

FF12 was a bit different but ultimately it was just branching paths with nothing special to do on either path. It initially seemed amazing but was ultimately shallow.

FF15 I didn't play but I heard it had copy/paste dungeons on an overworld so what was there was lazy and incomplete.

FF1 - After you beat Lich (roughly 60% through the game) it becomes pretty much totally open and you can do the rest of the areas in all kinds of weird orders if you want.

FF2 - There's a pretty set story path but it often gives you different routes to take to get places.

FF6 - The whole second half of the game is open world and you can do whatever areas in whatever order, or not do them at all.

There are others too but yeah

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF1 - After you beat Lich (roughly 60% through the game) it becomes pretty much totally open and you can do the rest of the areas in all kinds of weird orders if you want.

FF2 - There's a pretty set story path but it often gives you different routes to take to get places.

FF6 - The whole second half of the game is open world and you can do whatever areas in whatever order, or not do them at all.

There are others too but yeah
That's true. FF6 does have an open section once you get the airship, as do many of the games. I didn't consider that.