Final Fantasy 16

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Game plays really smooth on Graphics, which I hated at first and couldn't play at all in the Demo, but now is great.

To everyone else, especially those with fond memories of previous FF games, where are you at in this game? I haven't read a single complaint from any of you that makes much sense. I just got my 3rd Eikon, and its so good. I'm even seeing some nifty accessories now. I'll just chalk it up to FF fans being weird. =)
Think the biggest issue is its not the final fantasy game long term fans want. You'll always see FF4, 6 , 5 and tactics being referenced as best in series depending on who you ask (fuck you 8 lovers). Every iteration of FF gets further and further away from that. I upped my camera horizontal sensitivity and it helped me with headaches/motion blur. Still playing on graphics mode as everything looks like shit when stationary (to me) when set to performance. Looks like res gets scaled way down.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Game plays really smooth on Graphics, which I hated at first and couldn't play at all in the Demo, but now is great.

To everyone else, especially those with fond memories of previous FF games, where are you at in this game? I haven't read a single complaint from any of you that makes much sense. I just got my 3rd Eikon, and its so good. I'm even seeing some nifty accessories now. I'll just chalk it up to FF fans being weird. =)
It’s just because long term fans have seen all the great systems throughout the years and want to see returns to them and they just don’t. Going into pseudo-action games isn’t what most old fans want.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dang.
The Oriflamme / Typhon / Ultima / Phoenix sequence was really well done.

Literally just got to this part and was like "holy fuck".
This was more of the reveal I was expecting to get at the Phoenix Gate

On combat, feels a lot like 7R's combat in the sense that people who only button mash complain about it, but there's layers to it and a lot of things you can do to improve stagger which makes fights faster, less repetitive, and way more fun. I know how that sounds, but...yeah. In 7R's case a lot of it had to do with proper materia setup, though. In this game's case, it's just figuring out interactions/dodges/counters/parries/maxing out stagger (both going through the bar quickly and max damage within the stagger).

Merrith

It’s just because long term fans have seen all the great systems throughout the years and want to see returns to them and they just don’t. Going into pseudo-action games isn’t what most old fans want.

This is also a great system. As a long term fan myself that goes back to FF1 on the NES, I'm perfectly fine with them going in this direction when the combat is going to have this much depth to it. I get it if some old fans don't want that, but the game can still be good the way it is, too.

• 1Like
  • 1NPC
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Most of the critiques (besides the “story too white” ones) are valid, the game is still good though. Rpg elements might as well not even exist, it’s basically 100% an action game. The side quests are mostly retarded and pointless. There’s almost no reason to explore, at best you get rewarded crafting material which is useless.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I have been exploring everywhere but now I’m thinking I may just stop. I get some exp from the mob packs but they aren’t fun, I don’t even get hit in those fights. And all I usually get is a potion or a useless crafting mat. There’s no armor or weapons in crates so far. I’m only maybe 6 hours in but haven’t found anything worth wasting time exploring for. The crafting mats don’t seem necessary, I was playing with store bought stuff just fine. The side quests seem useless so far too but they only take a couple minutes to complete so I guess I’ll keep doing those. I hope I get to deliver soup a few more times.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Side quests give renown which gives a few items and ability points.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah I have been exploring everywhere but now I’m thinking I may just stop. I get some exp from the mob packs but they aren’t fun, I don’t even get hit in those fights. And all I usually get is a potion or a useless crafting mat. There’s no armor or weapons in crates so far. I’m only maybe 6 hours in but haven’t found anything worth wasting time exploring for. The crafting mats don’t seem necessary, I was playing with store bought stuff just fine. The side quests seem useless so far too but they only take a couple minutes to complete so I guess I’ll keep doing those. I hope I get to deliver soup a few more times.
There’s a weapon in a crate at one point that I’ve seen, but it’s basically right next to the door you have to take.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So like, should I just be selling all these "crafting" mats? Cause you can't really craft much of shit but i have hundreds if not thousands of some of the mats. What a dumb fucking design decision. I wonder if it was planned out for more stuff and it got dropped to focus more on action.

Merrith

I do get the complaints about lack of gear, etc, although exploring has led me to a couple decent accessories that improve abilities. Are they necessary? No, definitely not, but can be fun trying out different builds. The whole gear customization stuff feels like it basically gets replaced by strategizing your eikon loadouts, though. It's not the same, but fills the same role in regards to changing up combat.

I've been exploring every spot I can and killing everything before moving on. Probably could streamline it, but half the fun is going around towns to find the chests I know are going to be there if I look. The way they have the npcs change their conversations based on small things being completed is nice, too. Reminds me of Remake a bit in that the world feels like it has stuff going on around you.

Too soon to say how good this will turn out. Story interest for me is at a 10 out of 10 right now, though. Depending on where this all goes, could end up ranking it pretty high in the end.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I do get the complaints about lack of gear, etc, although exploring has led me to a couple decent accessories that improve abilities. Are they necessary? No, definitely not, but can be fun trying out different builds. The whole gear customization stuff feels like it basically gets replaced by strategizing your eikon loadouts, though. It's not the same, but fills the same role in regards to changing up combat.

I've been exploring every spot I can and killing everything before moving on. Probably could streamline it, but half the fun is going around towns to find the chests I know are going to be there if I look. The way they have the npcs change their conversations based on small things being completed is nice, too. Reminds me of Remake a bit in that the world feels like it has stuff going on around you.

Too soon to say how good this will turn out. Story interest for me is at a 10 out of 10 right now, though. Depending on where this all goes, could end up ranking it pretty high in the end.
I do like for a lot of the sidequests people in the area will comment on things you did. Like the quest where you go and get cloth for new comers to the hideout and later on you see them in the new clothes made from the cloth commenting on how good it looks on each other.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Once you get used to the 30 FPS (or whatever graphics mode is) and stop noticing it as much, it's quite enjoyable to look at. Only becomes choppy again if I switch to framerate mode and then back. At first it looks choppy until the brain adjusts but I think it's perfectly good after that so people should give it a shot.

Think the biggest issue is its not the final fantasy game long term fans want. You'll always see FF4, 6 , 5 and tactics being referenced as best in series depending on who you ask (fuck you 8 lovers). Every iteration of FF gets further and further away from that.

Zindan Zindan This is why people aren't thrilled with it. Take whatever your favorite ongoing game series is, and imagine that 3 sequels from now it's basically a totally different genre.

The game is great, it just isn't Final Fantasy, or anything resembling a standard RPG. I'd have loved to play this as a spinoff rather than a main series title, and had the actual FF16 be more like 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/10-2/12/13/13-2. Like any of those really. Some of them varied things up, but never strayed overly far from the formula.

Since this game has so much in common with FF12, I'd have liked to see it bring back FF12's gameplay style.

In short, what we have here is a great game that we'd love if it were anything besides a main-sequence FF, but since it is, it's also a constant bittersweet reminder that the series isn't what we spent decades playing anymore.

• 2Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ehh. Your potions don’t restore if you don’t die…
They do. I had the exact same issue with Benedikta, I wanted an option to either repeat Phase 3 with the potions I had at the time or restart the whole fight with full potions or some fair way to replenish them during. Just giving you the potions makes the fight less satisfying to beat.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
n this game's case, it's just figuring out interactions/dodges/counters/parries/maxing out stagger (both going through the bar quickly and max damage within the stagger).

Any protips for this for when I get back to the game and plow it for real? I haven't even delved into the combat options yet. I definitely feel like I'm not maximizing my staggers. I basically hit Rising Phoenix (not sure what it's called), then Spinning Phoenix (ditto), then wail on them with attacks and hope I can do the specials again before the stagger time runs out.

I was one of the few people who liked FF13's battle system and I think a lot of that was because I figured out the stagger system and how to get fights done quickly / maximize damage during staggers. Was night and day between knowing how to play and not knowing, with that game. Had friends who hated the game but also turned out to be doing the battle system all wrong.

SE has really been hung up on stagger as a concept since 13 and I understand what they're going for, at least.

Malakriss

Once you have a few set of powers into the mid-game a decent combo when you stagger an elite/boss is Will o' the Wykes + Lightning Rod. The stagger multiplier increases based on the number of hits during stagger and those abilities spam hits to raise the multiplier up to 1.5x

• 1Like