Final Fantasy 16

Chris

Potato del Grande
Spoilers for when you get 4th Eikon power:

I love how when Hugo is ranting about Cid killing Benedikta, Clive basically says "no it was me, she needed killing, fuck you". Normally a protagonist tries to say how they were just forced to defend themselves and didn't mean it.

AND THEN YOU CUT OFF HIS HANDS.

This guy is based. Feels like if you played as Delita in Final Fantasy Tactics.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Any protips for this for when I get back to the game and plow it for real? I haven't even delved into the combat options yet. I definitely feel like I'm not maximizing my staggers. I basically hit Rising Phoenix (not sure what it's called), then Spinning Phoenix (ditto), then wail on them with attacks and hope I can do the specials again before the stagger time runs out.

I was one of the few people who liked FF13's battle system and I think a lot of that was because I figured out the stagger system and how to get fights done quickly / maximize damage during staggers. Was night and day between knowing how to play and not knowing, with that game. Had friends who hated the game but also turned out to be doing the battle system all wrong.

SE has really been hung up on stagger as a concept since 13 and I understand what they're going for, at least.

Little things like the Phoenix ultimate during a stagger actually pauses the time on the stagger bar, but every single hit it's doing will keep boosting up the damage bonus while not wasting any of the stagger bar time. Could either use it to help build up the bonus, or when you have other ways to boost up the damage bonus quickly like Malakriss noted with his ability combos...you can use it when the bonus is already high/maxed for full damage at the end of the bar without it finishing b/c it pauses for the duration. Upgrading the Phoenix ultimate makes it last longer with more attacks to it, as well.

Counters and Parries will also affect the stagger bar more than normal attacks. Hell even just firing a few Charged Magic shots can chip their bar a bit. At half an enemy's stagger bar, they will do a mini stagger that also is subject to the increasing damage bonus for hits (although the window is pretty short). You can extend this window slightly by using Garuda's static ability (mapped to the circle key by default setup), the one that normally will pull enemies to/down to you. It'll actually grapple them and you will yank them down for a larger window to go to town. Often on minibosses after pulling them down I'll use another good Will damage ability to either go immediately from half stagger to stagger, or to drop it a good bit to where they are close. Gouge is a nice ability for this, although it's another ability that does a lot of fast hits which might want to be saved to help build bonus in stagger...but there are better options for that pretty quickly as you get 3+ eikons.

Another thing I've noticed is the ability to charge up your sword (I think it's Burning Blade? forget exact name), while it feels too long to be useful initially, when mastered it charges up faster, and the attack animation takes a little bit longer than a normal attack, but this actually benefits you when trying to land a Pary during an enemy attack, by increasing the window to do so somewhat.

I haven't really messed with air combos at all, although I'm sure there is a good bit you can do with Garuda's skill set for that.

In general reminds me of my 7 Remake playthrough. At first I thought combat wasn't going to have a lot of options, but I keep learning new stuff and trying out different combos of abilities during/getting to stagger to see how quickly I can re-stagger something and how much damage I can pump out during to quicken fights. I can only imagine the options with even more eikons potentially, and once you master an eikon skill, it can be transferred to another eikon's loadout.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The Ifrit sheild ability is a game changer for survivability, also you can put Ifrit abilities on any Eikon's bar.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
There aren’t rewards for exploring beyond garbage crafting material and the occasional trinket.

I’ve done probably 20 side quests, and no shit nearly a quarter have been delivering food. They have to get better, because they can’t get worse.

Why are you not enjoying Doordash Simulator?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Why are you not enjoying Doordash Simulator?
I dunno what game these guys are playing, my sidequests were about prostitute murder suicides, dead slaves who had been kept as pets by children and dead slaves who had been hunted for sport by children and their dogs.

Oh and that's all in one village, welcome to Moore!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I dunno what game these guys are playing, my sidequests were about prostitute murder suicides, dead slaves who had been kept as pets by children and dead slaves who had been hunted for sport by children and their dogs.

There is literally a side quest in that village where you have to deliver food. The prostitute murder was actually a main quest. The food delivery may have been part of the main quest too, don’t really remember. Either way pick up your own food you cunts.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
There is literally a side quest in that village where you have to deliver food.
Hasn't unlocked for me yet then? I'll look forward to that then, I haven't delivered food since the food delivery NPC was brutally murdered - except that one time I had to feed traumatised former slaves who thought that asking for food or even speaking would result in a beating.

Edit: Shit I forgot about the apple delivery quest in memory of the soil sample fetch quest NPC who was brutally murdered.

You guys noticing a pattern here?

Last edited:

Merrith

Yeah, those were some dark shit.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Ifrit sheild ability is a game changer for survivability, also you can put Ifrit abilities on any Eikon's bar.
Once you Master a skill, you can use it in all other Eikon sets.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I would give $100 for a true 3-D remake turn based FF6.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

I would give $100 for a true 3-D remake turn based FF6.

Shit i'd play it. 6 was my 2nd favorite of the entire series, and subject of endless debates at the time whether it for Chrono Trigger was the best game ever.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m not sure they’re capable of making a turn based game anymore. 10 is probably the last truly turn based one, that was 22 years ago lol

• 1Like

Cybsled

The market has moved on from that for the most part, on consoles especially. I loved the turn based FF games as much as the next guy, but most modern gamers are used to the action style RPGs. Especially for 3d games

• 1Moron

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So many northern English accents, thank you Game of Thrones. It's like being back home, I have to live in fucking Birmingham now and nobody is voice acting the shit accent here.

Off topic but I have a boner for whatever this female accent is. Scottish?

I need to be around more Female Scottish Accents.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Retro shit is all the rage. Farm it out. I absolutely think the market can support it.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Eh there are plenty of great turn based games to choose from. People will still always gripe in a FF thread for turn based because they have a love and nostalgia for the setting.

Just need to accept it isn’t going to happen anymore and they don’t care. The first 10 main games were turn based, from 87 to 01…so 14 years. The last 4 have not been, from 06 to today, so 17 years. That’s right, FF series has been non-turn based for longer than it has been turn based.

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Shit i'd play it. 6 was my 2nd favorite of the entire series, and subject of endless debates at the time whether it for Chrono Trigger was the best game ever.

I took part in those debates...on both sides depending on the year.

At first I thought Chrono Trigger was the best, then later moved more towards FF6, then eventually back to CT as I got older.

When it comes down to it CT looks amazing and plays well, with a compelling narrative and super compelling locations. FF6 is more complex, longer, has a lot more usable strategies, and feels more "adult" and epic. So from a pure gameplay standpoint FF6 is probably best, but from a "games are art" standpoint CT is best. If someone is only gonna play one of them...I think it has to be CT.

spronk

FPS noob
wasn't super loving the story, felt kinda simple and basic, but damn it really starts getting nuts after 15 or so hours. now i am deeply, deeply interested in finishing and i have no idea how much more there is

hope everyone is keeping up with their torgal petting

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users