Final Fantasy 16

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cool. What do Shiva, Ifrit, Titan and Phoenix do in FF6?

Shiva and Ifrit are the first to actually sacrifice themselves into magicite, thus introducing the concept to you for the rest of the game. Phoenix allows Locke's old love to come back/wake up to talk to him and let him move past that old pain.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Shiva and Ifrit are the first to actually sacrifice themselves into magicite, thus introducing the concept to you for the rest of the game. Phoenix allows Locke's old love to come back/wake up to talk to him and let him move past that old pain.
Wow, integral elements to the plot!

I knew that, my point was that the summons themselves have never been more than one appearance characters then you use their powers. The only exceptions I can think of was Bahamut's human form in FF10 and maybe Ysale in FF14 Heavensward being Shiva's avatar.

I may be wrong but classic summons suddenly being important characters feels like what someone who had never played Final Fantasy and wants some nostaligia memberberries would do. Like Ifrit being the last boss of FF15 is really weird when it's usually the first boss or an early free summon.

I'm not saying you couldn't build a game around the classic summons, but it's not the kind of originality I expect in the first look at a new Final Fantasy game. Even FF15 was original with the JPop group on a road trip.

Like I don't want to see a realistic medieval Europe with Game of Thrones accents, we already have that with FFT and even FF14 is mostly like that, stylise the shit out of it like FF9 did.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Like I don't want to see a realistic medieval Europe with Game of Thrones accents, we already have that with FFT and even FF14 is mostly like that, stylise the shit out of it like FF9 did.

As far as we know, we aren't getting another FFT, which in my opinion has the best story/script out of all the FFs. So I am the opposite and would love that style if they can do a good job. I think the story parts of the trailer look pretty good and hope it is nothing like the nonsense in ff13 for example.

My issue is the gameplay looks nothing like an rpg at all.

Chris

Potato del Grande
As far as we know, we aren't getting another FFT, which in my opinion has the best story/script out of all the FFs. So I am the opposite and would love that style if they can do a good job. I think the story parts of the trailer look pretty good and hope it is nothing like the nonsense in ff13 for example.

My issue is the gameplay looks nothing like an rpg at all.
You can do a plain medieval fantasy in 2D graphics, like FF5 or FFT. You can't do it in 3D.

I hope the story is good but them saying "Our target is Shiva's Dominant and only The Dominant" gave me L'cie/Fal'cie nonsense vibes, just say Summoner or Avatar or Priestess FFS.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You can do a plain medieval fantasy in 2D graphics, like FF5 or FFT. You can't do it in 3D.

I hope the story is good but them saying "Our target is Shiva's Dominant and only The Dominant" gave me L'cie/Fal'cie nonsense vibes, just say Summoner or Avatar or Priestess FFS.

What do you mean you can’t do medieval in 3D? Witcher 3 was gorgeous. Plenty of others that have looked great as well dragons dogma, Skyrim, etc.

Merrith

Wow, integral elements to the plot!

I knew that, my point was that the summons themselves have never been more than one appearance characters then you use their powers. The only exceptions I can think of was Bahamut's human form in FF10 and maybe Ysale in FF14 Heavensward being Shiva's avatar.

I may be wrong but classic summons suddenly being important characters feels like what someone who had never played Final Fantasy and wants some nostaligia memberberries would do. Like Ifrit being the last boss of FF15 is really weird when it's usually the first boss or an early free summon.

I'm not saying you couldn't build a game around the classic summons, but it's not the kind of originality I expect in the first look at a new Final Fantasy game. Even FF15 was original with the JPop group on a road trip.

I mean, the magicite part pretty much IS integral to the plot. Phoenix stuff was more of a side quest, but it was Locke's major story point within the game, so, yeah?

I don't know exactly what you mean by one appearance characters then you use their powers, or Bahamut's human form in 10? 10's summons were much different than they were in say 6 or 7 where they would just come in use a single ability and that would be it. In 10 your whole party would actually be replaced by the summon itself.

If you don't want to see a realistic medieval setting, don't play it. As others have noted, they prefer that because they don't like the more futuristic tilt that many of the later games have had. I'm good with either, as long as the story and gameplay is good. There were parts of this trailer I wasn't impressed with, but until Yoshi fails, I'm going to trust him.

Chris

Potato del Grande
10's summons were much different than they were in say 6 or 7 where they would just come in use a single ability and that would be it. In 10 your whole party would actually be replaced by the summon itself.
I'm talking about plot relevance not battle use.

I don't know exactly what you mean by one appearance characters then you use their powers, or Bahamut's human form in 10?
Maybe you should play some Final Fantasy games.

If you don't want to see a realistic medieval setting, don't play it. As others have noted, they prefer that because they don't like the more futuristic tilt that many of the later games have had. I'm good with either, as long as the story and gameplay is good. There were parts of this trailer I wasn't impressed with, but until Yoshi fails, I'm going to trust him.
I'm not going to play it. I didn't play FF15 either and I regret FF14 Stormblood.

It's a Final Fantasy game. If I want realism yeah there is Skyrim and Witcher etc. Realism can be impressive in itself.

Final Fantasy needs some extra, like a Time Loop, going to the Moon, multiple Planets... something batshit insane. The last 25 years of these games have shown some of that in their trailers.

This one shows big summons like FF15 had and people becoming summons which FF14 had - it's a reskin of those two games with the FF15 battle system and FF14 character models and setting.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Salty
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Maybe you should play some Final Fantasy games.

I'm not going to play it. I didn't play FF15 either and I regret FF14 Stormblood.

It's a Final Fantasy game. If I want realism yeah there is Skyrim and Witcher etc. Realism can be impressive in itself.

Final Fantasy needs some extra, like a Time Loop, going to the Moon, multiple Planets... something batshit insane. The last 25 years of these games have shown some of that in their trailers.

This one shows big summons like FF15 had and people becoming summons which FF14 had - it's a reskin of those two games with the FF15 battle system and FF14 character models and setting.

They were basically just things you'd get at each new temple (in 10). Frankly outside of a few overdrives, your party was stronger than the summons, anyways.

I've played them all, pretty sure you are misremembering Bahamut having any human form in X.

Many people think Stormblood was the weakest of the 3 expansions for XIV so far, so not exactly taking the best measure of that game. It's also really hard to know much of anything about what XVI will totally be like just based off a trailer. I don't think FF "needs" anything except what those will play it find interesting. Although given how much you like VIII, your desires for what you want an FF game to have are not that surprising.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Final Fantasy is for faggots
GNH6Z4o.jpg

Someone's tough guy is showing.

• 9Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You guys are pulling a fuck ton of assumptions out of a 3 minute poorly put together trailer

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I liked the trailer. :( I haven't played an FF since 12.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Hmm VI the summons were very plot relevant. Terra being used to awaken them, Terra’s lineage, espers sacrificing themselves for your party, Kefka chasing them down the entire game and unleashing them all.

Other than that game I don’t remember any really revolving around them, just plot lines like Rydias town getting destroyed by one and her living in the underworld full of them. It is a minor arch now but my 11 year old mind was blown when we reunited with her. Fighting the summons down there to earn them was pretty badass.

I remember bahamut I think? Raping an airship in 9.

Anyways, some stories integrate summons a lot more than others but a lot of the older ones they had more memorable stories to go along with them. I never even used them in 12 when you just become the summons and stomp around a bit, they had nothing to do with the story. I don’t really remember them being integrated in the story in 13 or 15 much either but those games were so forgettable that maybe they were and I just forgot.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You guys are pulling a fuck ton of assumptions out of a 3 minute poorly put together trailer

The only assumption I care about is it looked like another action game attempt and nothx if true.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Summons were pretty big (lawl, pun) in FF15's main story. And at least Odin was somewhat big in the various FF13 games; Lightning is literally flying around on it's back while fighting Chaos Bahamut in 13-2. And if I remember right, they were basically required fights in the storyline for the main characters to overcome some of their backstory stuff. They were a -huge- part of FF10; hell it was literally the point (Sin being an ancient Aeon and all that).

FF12 summons were a direct callback to the various demons from FFT, though waaaay less interesting and not at all familiar compared to literally every other FF game before/since, minus some callbacks in an optional raid in F14

I'm expecting there to be some steampunk stuff in the game, and some technology/etc, but I do really like the more "Fantasy" part of the setting coming back a little. But yeah, I'm saving any potential REEs about it until more info comes out other than a single trailer.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The important of summons and primals kinda osscilates in various FF games but they are standard part of the mix. Being in something that looks like the ff14 world then them being big damn deals makes a lot of sense.