Final Fantasy 16

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’d be down with ff17 being a modern 2d affair. That would be something to get excited about.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rude

Potato del Grande
First I've heard of that, I don't really buy it. One of the advertising points before 9 was released was nostalgic shit. Bringing back non humans, which I think 8 had those tiger things or whatever they were - none being playable. Old staple classes / figures like the black mage, white mage, summoner; medieval setting, the crystal came back into play, etc.

Sorry, just don't buy it. Too bad they didn't remove Necron when they were accounting for lessons learned. What an absolutely retarded device to keep the trend up with multiple bosses for the final game encounter.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Necron is still the most "wtf" boss in FF history.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Necron is still the most "wtf" boss in FF history.

I honestly thought it was paying homage to some of the older games. I remember the final boss of final fantasy IV being a “wtf?” moment. Just out of nowhere “I’ve been pulling the strings of everything this whole time and I haven’t been mentioned before this” Also I am massive and way bigger than the first thing you fought that I crawled out of.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I honestly thought it was paying homage to some of the older games. I remember the final boss of final fantasy IV being a “wtf?” moment. Just out of nowhere “I’ve been pulling the strings of everything this whole time and I haven’t been mentioned before this” Also I am massive and way bigger than the first thing you fought that I crawled out of.
I never got to the end of FF4 as my emulator corrupted my save file, but it sounds like what FF8 also did.

I don't mind a hidden manipulator you only see at the end of the game for a plot twist. I fucking wish FF12 had that.

It's just the fact that Necron has zero link to the plot in any way. It's pointless. Just have Kuja absorb all the souls of Terra and turn into some batshit insane monstrous being with multiple phases similar to how Kefka was. I just wrote a better ending in 5 secods lol.

Cybsled

FF games have long suffered from “here is a final boss out of nowhere!” with a few exceptions, like FF7 or 6.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
FF games have long suffered from “here is a final boss out of nowhere!” with a few exceptions, like FF7 or 6.

I think FF12 nailed it when the final boss basically asked "who the hell are you, anyway?" before you fought him.

• 1Like
  • 1Faggotry

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think FF12 nailed it when the final boss basically asked "who the hell are you, anyway?" before you fought him.
The only thing the guy did wrong was nuking a city off screen before the game started and your party never interacts with him.

What is FF12 even about?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
The only thing the guy did wrong was nuking a city off screen before the game started and your party never interacts with him.

What is FF12 even about?

played through it twice (once when it came out and again when Zodiac Age hit for PS4) and I couldn't tell you

• 2Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

What is FF12 even about?

I’ve played through it twice and all I got out of it was you’re in an occupied country and you’re starting the resistance with the princess.

I read up on the plot to figure out the bigger scheme of things after the first playthrough and a lot of the action that led up to where you start is years before and they don’t do a great job letting you know how you got to that point and why you’re resisting.

Kind of like they did with ff15 and the movie. If you didn’t look that up you’d have no idea wtf was happening. Except 12 didn’t have a movie.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Original FF12 plot was supposed to make Balthier and Fran the main characters, but they weren't involved until a bit further down the story so they invented two lame kids. Then at the ending they show a "years later" with much better character designs (or at least Penelo did) and you're literally WTFing as to why they didn't use those from the start.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ff12 also has the Occuria, the most obvious villains that are just handwaved away.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
First I've heard of that, I don't really buy it. One of the advertising points before 9 was released was nostalgic shit. Bringing back non humans, which I think 8 had those tiger things or whatever they were - none being playable. Old staple classes / figures like the black mage, white mage, summoner; medieval setting, the crystal came back into play, etc.

Sorry, just don't buy it. Too bad they didn't remove Necron when they were accounting for lessons learned. What an absolutely retarded device to keep the trend up with multiple bosses for the final game encounter.

I thought I had read at one point that 9 originally wasn't going to be one of the main "numbered" FF's, but more a spin off game with the nostalgia tie ins, kind of like a better Mystic Quest. The fact that PS2 had already been released only made it worse, and 10 was out within a year of 9's release.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I thought I had read at one point that 9 originally wasn't going to be one of the main "numbered" FF's, but more a spin off game with the nostalgia tie ins, kind of like a better Mystic Quest. The fact that PS2 had already been released only made it worse, and 10 was out within a year of 9's release.
It's all in the video I posted!

Rude

Potato del Grande
Did it though? Ex death wasn't random, neither was the emperor. I can't remember chaos and cloud of darkness well enough.. They probably were. Zemus was talked about by the time you get FuSoYa IIRC, he even discusses manipulating Golbez. Ultimecia was introduced when Edea was beaten at the Galbadia Garden. Yu Yevon was kind of a thing by Yunalesca. Not making excuses for some of the really shitty ones (Ultimecia, Zeromus), but holy hell Necron beat anything this franchise threw in at the last minute by a mile.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The end boss of 9 made such little sense that after getting to him and losing once I never even bothered turning the game on again.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
My interpretation of the ending to 9 is that it's the beginning of the Final Fantasy universe/multiverse.

In Memoria, you keep going back in time until you get to the Crystal that is the singularity before the FF big bang. When Kuja Ultima nukes the singularity to try and end everything, the party wakes up on the hill of despair which is an outside of time and space purgatory nothingness thing.

There they encounter Necron as the embodiment of death. If the party loses, the crystal is destroyed and the big bang doesn't happen, or even have ever had the capacity TO happen. If the party wins, Ultima hits the crystal and big bangs the FF universe into existence.

This is also a way to tie in all the nostalgia throwbacks cleverly to the story. Like the buster sword being on the wall of the weapon shop in Lindblum wasn't just a fan service callback. The FF9 world was shattered to become the rest of the universe/multiverse so the FF7 buster sword was the "memory" of that weapon from 9.

It's actually pretty ironic that Lenas turned the game off and quit after losing to Necron once as that was symbolically the characters' dilemma also. Would be even more fitting if you never played any FF ever again lol.

As far as the story importance of summons, they are either very important to the world building or absolutely essential to the stories in 4, 6, 9, 10, and 15. The rest they're mostly a common theme. In some you just find Leviathan in the basement of a weapon shop or something and no mention is ever made. In 6 the entire esper race and their relationship to the warring triad is a huge part of the plot and every esper has a place in the story. Many are still inconsequential but at least were part of a research experiment or in Ramuh's party that gave up their lives for you. Then Terra is half esper and it's her entire character arc with her parents, her dad being temporarily playable and then later summonable.

Totally down for 17 being the tie in to 10 and 7. They're already a part of the same solar system/universe and with how beloved both games are to fans, would print money.

Us FF lore nerds showing our colors in here. It's still a JRPG series so it doesn't make total sense but it's not as bad as you're all saying.

• 3Like
  • 3Hodjing
Reactions: 5 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The end boss of 9 made such little sense that after getting to him and losing once I never even bothered turning the game on again.
Huh, I did the exact same thing. I only beat it years later, and I couldn't tell you a single thing about the ending or the boss. Such a forgettable game.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
My interpretation of the ending to 9 is that it's the beginning of the Final Fantasy universe/multiverse.

In Memoria, you keep going back in time until you get to the Crystal that is the singularity before the FF big bang. When Kuja Ultima nukes the singularity to try and end everything, the party wakes up on the hill of despair which is an outside of time and space purgatory nothingness thing.

There they encounter Necron as the embodiment of death. If the party loses, the crystal is destroyed and the big bang doesn't happen, or even have ever had the capacity TO happen. If the party wins, Ultima hits the crystal and big bangs the FF universe into existence.

This is also a way to tie in all the nostalgia throwbacks cleverly to the story. Like the buster sword being on the wall of the weapon shop in Lindblum wasn't just a fan service callback. The FF9 world was shattered to become the rest of the universe/multiverse so the FF7 buster sword was the "memory" of that weapon from 9.

It's actually pretty ironic that Lenas turned the game off and quit after losing to Necron once as that was symbolically the characters' dilemma also. Would be even more fitting if you never played any FF ever again lol.

As far as the story importance of summons, they are either very important to the world building or absolutely essential to the stories in 4, 6, 9, 10, and 15. The rest they're mostly a common theme. In some you just find Leviathan in the basement of a weapon shop or something and no mention is ever made. In 6 the entire esper race and their relationship to the warring triad is a huge part of the plot and every esper has a place in the story. Many are still inconsequential but at least were part of a research experiment or in Ramuh's party that gave up their lives for you. Then Terra is half esper and it's her entire character arc with her parents, her dad being temporarily playable and then later summonable.

Totally down for 17 being the tie in to 10 and 7. They're already a part of the same solar system/universe and with how beloved both games are to fans, would print money.

Us FF lore nerds showing our colors in here. It's still a JRPG series so it doesn't make total sense but it's not as bad as you're all saying.
giphy.gif

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users