Final Fantasy 16

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Eh it’s pretty easy to explain exactly what is meant by not a ff. Much of it was mentioned already in the thread. Then he goes off on an endless tangent of different straw men.
Sounds like it’s probably a good game. And coming from yoshi I expected as much. But what it actually is, is nothing that I want in a ff aside from a seemingly decent/good story. I’d feel better if it was a ff:gaiden or something, but it doesn’t really matter.
They don’t want my money, cest la vie, it is what it is, etc. Shrug

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I took part in those debates...on both sides depending on the year.

At first I thought Chrono Trigger was the best, then later moved more towards FF6, then eventually back to CT as I got older.

When it comes down to it CT looks amazing and plays well, with a compelling narrative and super compelling locations. FF6 is more complex, longer, has a lot more usable strategies, and feels more "adult" and epic. So from a pure gameplay standpoint FF6 is probably best, but from a "games are art" standpoint CT is best. If someone is only gonna play one of them...I think it has to be CT.

The funny thing is original FF6 (3 on the SNES) was broken as fuck. Could vanish/X-zone most of the game, a lot of combat stuff didn't work as intended. Think one of the evade stats was completely non functional. Relm's draw could break certain versions of the game if I recall.

I went back and forth a bunch back then as well, although as the years have passed, I'd also tell someone if they were just going to play one to get a true feel for and old school RPG to play CT. Granted that debate raged for me back and forth until I played VII on the PS and it beat out both for me. But that's just how it goes, some games hit the hardest depending on what every person likes best.

Back to 16:
I just can't get on board with people hating on side characters, dialogue, and sidequests. The truly evil shit you see from some of the sidequests in this game is kinda nuts. Also when the main story reintroduces someone from the prologue, you're happy as fuck to see Sir Wade alive and well and still fighting the good fight. He's almost sure to die now that I've said that. Another great part of the sidequests is remembering people that died from the original hideaway. When the 2nd time jump happened 5 years after Cid dies/shit going down in Oriflamme, I was kind of taken aback at the idea of "well we'll just make another hideaway". But it's actually paid off with some side story beats, and the evolution of the cause makes complete sense when thinking about it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Eh it’s pretty easy to explain exactly what is meant by not a ff. Much of it was mentioned already in the thread. Then he goes off on an endless tangent of different straw men.
Sounds like it’s probably a good game. And coming from yoshi I expected as much. But what it actually is, is nothing that I want in a ff aside from a seemingly decent/good story. I’d feel better if it was a ff:gaiden or something, but it doesn’t really matter.

I think it's easy to explain in the sense it means different things to different people. Shit, there were complaints about so many cutscenes in VII, and the rise of steampunk stuff in VI and especially VII. People hated on the central love story in VIII. People talk about X as the last turn based combat, but some people bitched about the disappearance of ATB in that. All the shit XII took over the years...it's been a never-ending bunch of changes throughout the series.

At this point I can say for me, give me good story, sprinkle in chocos, moogles, a Cid, summons/Eikons, and a good combat system...and I'm pretty much in. Old school gearing/turn based would be icing on the cake, but I'm really enjoying the action combat from both Remake and XVI. XV's was shit, though.

Rude

Potato del Grande
The market has moved on from that for the most part, on consoles especially. I loved the turn based FF games as much as the next guy, but most modern gamers are used to the action style RPGs. Especially for 3d games

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

bolok

Trakanon Raider
A ff for me is pretty simple.
I think it's easy to explain in the sense it means different things to different people. Shit, there were complaints about so many cutscenes in VII, and the rise of steampunk stuff in VI and especially VII. People hated on the central love story in VIII. People talk about X as the last turn based combat, but some people bitched about the disappearance of ATB in that. All the shit XII took over the years...it's been a never-ending bunch of changes throughout the series.

At this point I can say for me, give me good story, sprinkle in chocos, moogles, a Cid, summons/Eikons, and a good combat system...and I'm pretty much in. Old school gearing/turn based would be icing on the cake, but I'm really enjoying the action combat from both Remake and XVI. XV's was shit, though.
Yeah there was bitching about the plots and the settings and niggles of atb vs turn based. But they still all felt like a ff to me. Even the pseudo ai programming in 12 was atb ish. And you could just turn it off regardless. They were just better or worse games. I’m a simple dude, I just want a party you fully control and to be able to play it with a drink in one hand. You know, like a rpg.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’m only a bit past the prologue but my wife keeps stopping to watch. Then says you absolutely can’t play this in front of the kids. No shit. End of the prologue was a wtf moment. Been a long time since I’ve played something this cinematic and that keeps me interested. Wish this level of concise and polish was used by the team for 14’s dialogue.

Caeden

I can’t believe that someone recommended that for someone who is pining for a turn based Final Fantasy. That game looks like a psycho fever dream lmao.
It’s on my list but I want a swords and sorcery medieval setting.

I don’t mind FF being an exploratory series at all. 17 could be a fucking crpg but I think saying there’s no market for a turn based FF is short sighted and belays a lack of systems design creativity.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
I can’t believe that someone recommended that for someone who is pining for a turn based Final Fantasy. That game looks like a psycho fever dream lmao.
It's probably the best turn based RPG since P5. Seriously a great game and tons of side-quests and mini games in it.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I mean this about sums up FF16:

1) Fairly Linear with pockets of exploration without a lot of reward in the exploration.
2) Side quests are standard variety with a bit better rewards for mostly Gil/Skill for abilities. What I DO like about it though is they segment out the side quests piece meal - so when they pop up you have a feel to do them (2-3 side quests at a time gated by story progression) so you are never overwhelmed.
3) An action style adventure with a great story line.
4) Very simple Itemization with a bit more complexity in ability training and loadouts
5) Graphical and special effect gameplay moments are many and seem to always be varied. Like you are watching a non stop action movie. And everything has a HOLY SHIT THAT WAS FUCKING COOL moment.
6) Game of Thrones style setting

If you are looking for a deep exploration based RPG, this isn't it. If you are looking for a heavy set of customization and itemization/builds - this isn't it.

However, if you are a story driven gamer that loves deep winding plots with THE best graphical/playable epic encounters ever seen to date from sound design, explosions, destruction, jaw dropping special effects where you will most likely be saying "HOLY FUCK YEAH!" about once or twice every 30-40 minutes, you should definitely play this.

Last night (and I am only about 1/3rd the way through) I was literally fist bumping saying "FUCK YEAH YOU FUCKER!!!!!" Even my Dog looked at me funny. (Also glad my wife is out camping with the girls until Friday)

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I’m not sure they’re capable of making a turn based game anymore. 10 is probably the last truly turn based one, that was 22 years ago lol

FF10 was 22 years ago?

FUUUUUUUUUU-

I think FF16 would be recieved a lot better if it were Stranger of Paradise 2 instead and were based in the FF2 world. Which it could easily be, lot of the same themes and story with the world in conflict and people dying left and right.

Looks like SoP is a one and done which is a shame because it's an interesting idea, prequel/retellings of early FF games where you play as the villain and see their origin.

FF16 being a "main series" FF puts larger expectations on it, like the expectation that it'll be FF-like in some traditional way. Experimental spinoffs don't really have to contend with that expectation.

Caeden

1) Fairly Linear with pockets of exploration without a lot of reward in the exploration.
2) Side quests are standard variety with a bit better rewards for mostly Gil/Skill for abilities. What I DO like about it though is they segment out the side quests piece meal - so when they pop up you have a feel to do them (2-3 side quests at a time gated by story progression) so you are never overwhelmed.
4) Very simple Itemization with a bit more complexity in ability training and loadouts
5) Graphical and special effect gameplay moments are many and seem to always be varied. Like you are watching a non stop action movie. And everything has a HOLY SHIT THAT WAS FUCKING COOL moment.

If you are looking for a deep exploration based RPG, this isn't it. If you are looking for a heavy set of customization and itemization/builds - this isn't it.

However, if you are a story driven gamer that loves deep winding plots with THE best graphical/playable epic encounters ever seen to date from sound design, explosions, destruction, jaw dropping special effects where you will most likely be saying "HOLY FUCK YEAH!" about once or twice every 30-40 minutes, you should definitely play this.

Last night (and I am only about 1/3rd the way through) I was literally fist bumping saying "FUCK YEAH YOU FUCKER!!!!!" Even my Dog looked at me funny. (Also glad my wife is out camping with the girls until Friday)
It’s a popcorn flick that manages to hit the right emotional tone and doesn’t have the fucking “message” all over it. Between this, Zelda, and I’d even allow Hogwarts it’s been a pretty nice AAA year so far. Hogwarts still had a dick chopper and the African no-wands bullshit.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I struggle to see how this is different from a 20 hour Marvel movie marathon. If the RPG aspects are as lacking as people here are claiming, why am I playing the game and not just watching the 20 hour cut scene mash up to get those super awesome special graphics?

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
-Like 6 hours in and I'm finally kind of getting into the game outside of the story. Would still prefer it play like an actual RPG but whatever, I've accepted it as the latest evolution of Secret of Mana type action/adventure games instead.

-I wish Jill were playable. Running around with her in this outdoors environment actually feels like a real FF game, but I can't switch between party members so that's a bit of a letdown.

-Cid is giving me strong Citan (Xenogears) vibes. I bet he's gonna turn evil later, or turn out to be hanging out with The Emperor when no one is looking.

-Mostly ignoring sidequests and just doing the main quest. Don't have all the time in the world for this shite, other things to get to. Fromsoft games and the top-tier retro RPGs are the only things I find inspiring enough to complete at this point.

-Is there any reason not to sell all my old equipment? And on the reverse side, there any reason to make sure I collect all the available gear? Cause I could easily afford to buy all the weapons. Since you can only own one of every piece of equipment, that makes me wonder if there's some benefit down the line to collecting them all.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I struggle to see how this is different from a 20 hour Marvel movie marathon. If the RPG aspects are as lacking as people here are claiming, why am I playing the game and not just watching the 20 hour cut scene mash up to get those super awesome special graphics?
The combat, especially as you unlock all Eikon abilities is also S tier (if you enjoy DMC/GOW style combat).

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If you hate playing action combat I fully recommend just watching the 20 hour YouTube video of it instead of buying it. The game is cutscene after cutscene with some travel and combat sprinkled in between.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I have to slightly disagree with the exploration side of things, but only slightly. People are right in saying there really isn't much reward for exploration, we won't be finding hidden areas or dungeons in this game... which is disappointing to me as I love exploration. Yet, I have found 4 objects (named ones) which I think will turn into something meaningful (my hope). Aside from those, I see exploration in this game as getting enough Gil to buy all the music tracks and to always have enough materials.

I also disagree with the "lack of rpg elements" comment that people use as a mild criticism of FF16. Not sure what more people want, or what FF16 is actually lacking. You have gear. You have crafting. You have Skills of various types and uses, with each being able to be upgraded (for bigger numbers!). Those three aspects all mesh with each other in whatever way you might want. The Accessories you can get will do everything you'd expect them to do: Increase DMG, lower CD's, increase a resource generation, increase the effectiveness of something, or even give you a new ability. Do they need to do anything more? I know I'd rather not have to go farm up mobs or instances for a chance at getting some perfectly rolled item. Thankfully FF16 isn't that type of game.

Most of the complaints, even my own, are just a YOU problem and not really a game problem.

• 1Like
  • 1Imbecile
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I have to slightly disagree with the exploration side of things, but only slightly. People are right in saying there really isn't much reward for exploration, we won't be finding hidden areas or dungeons in this game... which is disappointing to me as I love exploration. Yet, I have found 4 objects (named ones) which I think will turn into something meaningful (my hope). Aside from those, I see exploration in this game as getting enough Gil to buy all the music tracks and to always have enough materials.

I also disagree with the "lack of rpg elements" comment that people use as a mild criticism of FF16. Not sure what more people want, or what FF16 is actually lacking. You have gear. You have crafting. You have Skills of various types and uses, with each being able to be upgraded (for bigger numbers!). Those three aspects all mesh with each other in whatever way you might want. The Accessories you can get will do everything you'd expect them to do: Increase DMG, lower CD's, increase a resource generation, increase the effectiveness of something, or even give you a new ability. Do they need to do anything more? I know I'd rather not have to go farm up mobs or instances for a chance at getting some perfectly rolled item. Thankfully FF16 isn't that type of game.

Most of the complaints, even my own, are just a YOU problem and not really a game problem.

I don't Picard often, but FF16 is literally like your first real 1P FF game right?

So you have no real point of reference as to why people are beefing, and won't be able to understand it because from your perspective the game is standalone and quite good in that vacuum. It isn't an "us" problem, it's a legitimate complaint to gripe that this is more of a DMC/GoW game than an FF game, despite being called FF.

Similar to how a lot of us have an issue with FF7R being called "FF7 Remake" when it isn't a remake of FF7, it's a weird alternate timeline sequel. People who just got to the party and love FF7R have no idea WTF the rest of us are talking about though.

We're not just on different pages, we're reading different books. No need to defend this game you like. I like it too, but us wanting a Final Fantasy game to resemble 12 out of 13 of the previous mainline single-player Final Fantasy games isn't exactly some sort of crazy wish.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users