Final Fantasy 16

Cybsled

There are actually a lot of well written side quests. There is one later in the game that serves as some further character development for a character who dies that is well written and voice acted.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I don't know what you mean.

Some people are just so entrenched in their views that they see any other point of view as purposefully trolling, Ukraine thread is full of it.

It's the same mode of thinking liberals use when they call everything they don't like "fake news".

Zelensky is Kefka and he's about to poison the river in Doma by blowing up the ZNPP

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
No spoilers but I don't feel like I'm playing FFXVI so much as 'watching' it. The gear makes no damn sense, the abilities are an IQ check, and the side quests are beyond insipid. Nearly all the major 'tactical' decisions in major battles are made for me by a series of QuickTime Events.

Do you ever actually choose who is in your 'party'? So far its all been auto-grouping, which is okay, but you could be forgiven for even remembering that Jill, for example, is even in the group. I see some special effects now and then but I honestly can't rely on her to do a damn thing.

I was enjoying the overall story, but it is really starting to challenge the structural integrity of plausible deniability.
It gets better don't worry. Come back after the first crystal and tell us what you think then.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’m enjoying the fuck out of this. It is a lot of cutscenes but I dunno. It feels like Final Fantasy from a story perspective.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
His meth addled brain can’t even count that high, so it’s just a random number he threw out

I didn’t know he was a meth addict. It all makes sense now.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I figured anything where you don’t have to think unlike PoE’s crafting would be up his alley.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Seriously?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
-Like 6 hours in and I'm finally kind of getting into the game outside of the story. Would still prefer it play like an actual RPG but whatever, I've accepted it as the latest evolution of Secret of Mana type action/adventure games instead.

-I wish Jill were playable. Running around with her in this outdoors environment actually feels like a real FF game, but I can't switch between party members so that's a bit of a letdown.

-Cid is giving me strong Citan (Xenogears) vibes. I bet he's gonna turn evil later, or turn out to be hanging out with The Emperor when no one is looking.

-Mostly ignoring sidequests and just doing the main quest. Don't have all the time in the world for this shite, other things to get to. Fromsoft games and the top-tier retro RPGs are the only things I find inspiring enough to complete at this point.

-Is there any reason not to sell all my old equipment? And on the reverse side, there any reason to make sure I collect all the available gear? Cause I could easily afford to buy all the weapons. Since you can only own one of every piece of equipment, that makes me wonder if there's some benefit down the line to collecting them all.

Nobody answered that last question. Should I keep equipment around for later / should I buy one of everything since that's what it lets you do? Or does it not matter at all?

I've got Invictus now which completely obsoletes any store-bought weapons...

Chris

Potato del Grande
Nobody answered that last question. Should I keep equipment around for later / should I buy one of everything since that's what it lets you do? Or does it not matter at all?

Keep the sword you craft with the materials from Eikons, it upgrades each time you beat one.

Basic shop equipment doesn't seem to matter and you can always rebuy it.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

To be fair, not sure if there is a need for old stuff or not. If it's one of the story weapons you crafted after beating an eikon, save it, b/c I think it upgrades later. Store bought stuff you can probably get rid of once you find better...but don't quote me. The gil from selling those doesn't seem to be worth it for anything. Don't waste gil on potions/high potions either, when you can just port back and forth between HIdeaway and Caer Norvent to pick up freebies off the ground that respawn. That probably doesn't last forever, though.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Starting to see some cracks in the quality of the Story, like segments of a story sequence don't quite match up:
Examples: The part where Clive, Jill and Gav go to Rosalith, but get captured by Hugo. Hugo wants Clive to see Jill get beheaded, but the beheading begins before Clive is supposed to be brought out to witness it and Hugo doesn't care.

Or how Joshua supposedly captures Ultima by locking him inside a crystal merged into his body.... yet Ultima is out doing whatever he wants. Or the Bahamut fight... wtf did the Mothercrystal do to Bahamut at the beginning, it seemed to attack / stun Bahamut then encase itself in a new crystal tower. No mention of that. Or how Ultima had been impersonating Olivier this whole time, but when Dion "kills" Olivier no one mentions the lack of a body being left behind.

Then there is the Medicine Girl that has appeared in 2 cutscenes, plus being show in Vivians persons of interest long before we ever saw her for the first time. I'm guessing she will turn out to be an unknown Dominant.

I will say the Bahamut fight was over the top ridiculous, a 20/10, but went on a bit too long, everything else was great (again) and I thought seeing Dion confront his father and throw his words back at him was nicely done. Had a laugh at Mid's full name being Midadol.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Starting to see some cracks in the quality of the Story, like segments of a story sequence don't quite match up:
Examples: The part where Clive, Jill and Gav go to Rosalith, but get captured by Hugo. Hugo wants Clive to see Jill get beheaded, but the beheading begins before Clive is supposed to be brought out to witness it and Hugo doesn't care.

Or how Joshua supposedly captures Ultima by locking him inside a crystal merged into his body.... yet Ultima is out doing whatever he wants. Or the Bahamut fight... wtf did the Mothercrystal do to Bahamut at the beginning, it seemed to attack / stun Bahamut then encase itself in a new crystal tower. No mention of that. Or how Ultima had been impersonating Olivier this whole time, but when Dion "kills" Olivier no one mentions the lack of a body being left behind.

Then there is the Medicine Girl that has appeared in 2 cutscenes, plus being show in Vivians persons of interest long before we ever saw her for the first time. I'm guessing she will turn out to be an unknown Dominant.

I will say the Bahamut fight was over the top ridiculous, a 20/10, but went on a bit too long, everything else was great (again) and I thought seeing Dion confront his father and throw his words back at him was nicely done. Had a laugh at Mid's full name being Midadol.

Just watched the Bahamut fight on YouTube, it was pretty terrible. Especially the 2nd half after with all the pew pew pew supersayian shit

Last edited:
  • 1Moron