Final Fantasy 16

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm stunned by how many people are saying that it looks good because of the genre of the setting.

What SPECIFICALLY did you like? The character design? The artstyle? The storyline? The reused FF14 models?
Aren't you the guy that put 36 hours into FF7R the first day? Now that game was trash

• 3Faggotry
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

just make another Final Fantasy Tactics god damn it dude fuck

Can always do the FFT raid series in FFXIV to temporarily ease your pain lol

Back to the thread, I haven’t seen any confirmation you only play as 1 person only in combat. The trailer only showed that, but I would reserve judgement until something more official comes out from a gameplay perspective. We didn’t even see UI elements.

And ya, it’s def coming to PC. Anyone recall the release gap for 15?

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
While the IQ of the graphics didn't blow me away and they did look a bit dated, it did have the same art style of XII and that whole Final Fantasy Tactics setting, which is a good thing to me. Personally I am just not a fan of the quasi sci fi/modern setting that most of them have had since VI. IX's was way too over the top chibi to me. But I loved the aesthetic of XII and Tactics, and this seems to have it in spades.

With that said the battle system looked pretty cool, but I can't help but miss the final fantasy of old with parties and actual control over your party members. FFVIIr seemed to hit that better, and this one does appear to say "fuck it, it's too hard" and go for just a single protag. This is square so this thing is probably 4 years and 2 directors away from release still, so no need to really take too close of a look at it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Aren't you the guy that put 36 hours into FF7R the first day? Now that game was trash
No, because that's physically impossible. My first playthrough was 36 hours.

FF7R had great combat and was amazing when it was stuff from FF7, especially the music.

It lacked the gritty Cyberpunk aesthetic of the original, it was too bright in the slums and everyone was wearing earth tones instead of punk fashion. It lost it's charm.

The side quests were MMO style dogshit and here is FF16 produced by the guy who made the FF14 MMO. I hope you like long and mandatory fetch quests.

He just hates fantasy settings because the medieval period took place on his continent.
That's a good point. The setting just isn't special to me. That said, medieval FF games all had something extra.

FF9 had a discovery vibe exploring lost continents.

FF5 had multiple planets.

FF6 was steampunk reinessance.

FFT had hidden demons suddenly appearing to wreck your shit.

FF16 has reused assets. Amazing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

People always forget FF games have had sci-fi elements since day 1. In FF1, you go to a space station and fight robots and mechs and shit.

And I love that. Pure High fantasy (Aka not even any magic tech) puts me to fucking sleep.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I expected at least one pre-rendered video scene but it was all in-game engine stuff. While it wasn't a EQNext mockup it wasn't far off, so FF7R Part 2 will be out before FF16 because they are not that far along in the development.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So summons are back to being FF15's crazy large scale, and the story is gonna be like Attack on Titan where warring nations each have different Eikon soldiers?

Fuck it, why not.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Medieval setting: Good
Action combat: Bad
Conclusion: Pass

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Final fantasy has been suffering from shit story and shit gameplay. If one of those can be non shitty then that’s an improvement. Yoshida has potential to inspire a non shitty story.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Very excited for this. Combat looks entertaining and I enjoy the setting and what its trying to do here. FFXIV's story in HW onward has been some of the best FF in a very long time. Excited to see what they do here.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The quality of the eyes looked "real". It's hard to capture life in the eyes, but this game, the eyes looked real.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Man, I came here because for the first time in forever this looked like an actual fantasy setting. I haven’t touched a FF since 9. I have 14 (or whichever is the Zodiac Age...13?) to play on PS4 but haven’t gotten around to it.

three pages and now I fucking hate this game. Thanks guys.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Zodiac Age is 12, isn't it? FF13 is the Lightning one. 14 is the MMO.

And ignore the shit in this thread. We literally know nothing about game mechanics beyond it being action oriented. People see a trailer with no UI elements and are like "omg, FF game with only 1 person!!". Wait for the inevitable Famitsu article that goes into actual game mechanics before making judgement on gameplay style. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a hybrid system like FF7R, since that was well received.

• 4Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 4 users

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
People always forget FF games have had sci-fi elements since day 1. In FF1, you go to a space station and fight robots and mechs and shit.

And I love that. Pure High fantasy (Aka not even any magic tech) puts me to fucking sleep.
Don't forget time travel too

joz123

Potato del Grande
The people saying it looks like shit will still buy it and finish it.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users