Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished FF2 PS1. Had to train up the Berserk spell in the final dungeon as that was the only way to significantly damage the final boss without using the Blood Sword. Got Berserk to 10 and that did the trick. Also beat Astaroth. I always thought of him as just one of the four guardians on route to the final boss, but he's way stronger than the other 3 OR the final boss, and is optional, so now I think Astaroth is more like the game's optional uberboss.

Think I'm gonna finally do a 4 White Mage FF1 challenge next. I started it and got to Pravoka with everyone in their L1/L2 spells and it was such a slog. I'm sure it'll pick up a lot post-Astos when I can travel around, but I'm not sure how I'll get through the Marsh Cave or beat Astos himself. If Silence works on him, I could drop the element-resistance spells and then spam Silence until it lands, then chip him down. In the Marsh Cave I could probably stack a couple Blinks and beat the Piscodemons. Still, the whole thing is such an ungodly slog when every random fight takes ages. Maybe the idea is to run away from most fights and nuke undead groups for exp?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Think I'm gonna finally do a 4 White Mage FF1 challenge next. I started it and got to Pravoka with everyone in their L1/L2 spells and it was such a slog. I'm sure it'll pick up a lot post-Astos when I can travel around, but I'm not sure how I'll get through the Marsh Cave or beat Astos himself. If Silence works on him, I could drop the element-resistance spells and then spam Silence until it lands, then chip him down. In the Marsh Cave I could probably stack a couple Blinks and beat the Piscodemons. Still, the whole thing is such an ungodly slog when every random fight takes ages. Maybe the idea is to run away from most fights and nuke undead groups for exp?
Most single class challenges go like this

1) tedious slog until you get past Piscodemons
2) cruise through rest of game by rushing class change and doing fiends out of order

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Most single class challenges go like this

1) tedious slog until you get past Piscodemons
2) cruise through rest of game by rushing class change and doing fiends out of order

Yeah, I don't even know why I bother. I've done single-class FF1 with everyone except White Mages now.

4x Fighter is super easy, just a lot of grinding for money
4x Black Belt was harder at first, then way easier after level 10 or so because they just rolled everything.
4x Red Mage was actually kind of balanced, felt the closest to a "normal" playthrough out of all of these. The Elfland grind for equipment/spells was ludicrous though.
4x Black Mage was a challenge and involved a lot of running away to conserve spell uses.
4x Thief was the hardest by far and involved an Astos fight where everyone did 1 damage unless they got a crit for like...10. Astos has 160 HP. Took a bunch of tries to get some good RNG. The grind was also horrendous. Things the Black Belts could defeat at level 9 or so, the Thieves had to be like level 16 to even have a shot. Second half was a lot more fun with 4x Ninjas.

Pretty much all of them end up the same way, using attack buff items to power up your meleers and then having them do all the damage. Even 4x Black Mages ended with me attack-buffing one of them with Masamune who proceeded to out-damage everyone else's Flares.

4x White Mage is definitely at the bottom of the heap with 4x Thief. They do even less damage, but at least they can heal and nuke undead. I'm up to Elfland and in no hurry to get back to it and grind for hours to get the L3 spells (and the one good L4 spell). Funny how WM L3 spells are all super useful and force you to choose, while they have dick for L4. Maybe I can get through the Marsh Cave with L2 spells, IDK. At level 6. I don't know why I love FF1 so much, or these single-class challenges, but I do.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I don't even know why I bother. I've done single-class FF1 with everyone except White Mages now.

4x Fighter is super easy, just a lot of grinding for money
4x Black Belt was harder at first, then way easier after level 10 or so because they just rolled everything.
4x Red Mage was actually kind of balanced, felt the closest to a "normal" playthrough out of all of these. The Elfland grind for equipment/spells was ludicrous though.
4x Black Mage was a challenge and involved a lot of running away to conserve spell uses.
4x Thief was the hardest by far and involved an Astos fight where everyone did 1 damage unless they got a crit for like...10. Astos has 160 HP. Took a bunch of tries to get some good RNG. The grind was also horrendous. Things the Black Belts could defeat at level 9 or so, the Thieves had to be like level 16 to even have a shot. Second half was a lot more fun with 4x Ninjas.

Pretty much all of them end up the same way, using attack buff items to power up your meleers and then having them do all the damage. Even 4x Black Mages ended with me attack-buffing one of them with Masamune who proceeded to out-damage everyone else's Flares.

4x White Mage is definitely at the bottom of the heap with 4x Thief. They do even less damage, but at least they can heal and nuke undead. I'm up to Elfland and in no hurry to get back to it and grind for hours to get the L3 spells (and the one good L4 spell). Funny how WM L3 spells are all super useful and force you to choose, while they have dick for L4. Maybe I can get through the Marsh Cave with L2 spells, IDK. At level 6. I don't know why I love FF1 so much, or these single-class challenges, but I do.
Post-pisco WHM run should be fairly smooth. Dia spells smash Lich, then go get temper gauntlets and invisira robe.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
FFV endgame is super fun.

You do dungeons full of equipment to unlock ultimate weapons and another dungeon with some sort of ultimate ability.

Even had Water Tablet dungeon for 3 ultimate weapons unlocking Fork Tower for Flare/Holy unlocking Water Shrine for Mime.

Summoner is definetly carrying the group with Golem giving a physical shield Carbuncle giving reflect all.

Currently grinding up Ranger/Ninjas for x8 attack and Red Mages for double cast.

FF5 feels like the first complete game in the series with a lot of agency in the battle system and also some depth to the story.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I would like to play these; are they ever coming to Switch? I just can’t do these old school RPGs on PC, it feels so wrong. I need a handheld (and I don’t have a Steam Deck).

Chris

Potato del Grande
I would like to play these; are they ever coming to Switch? I just can’t do these old school RPGs on PC, it feels so wrong. I need a handheld (and I don’t have a Steam Deck).
Don't you guys have phones?

• 1Rustled

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Quite a few years ago I bought a USB adapter that let me use my favorite controller (PS1, no analog sticks, dpad is four individual buttons, fight me) and with that I don't have any problems using the computer for old games.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I’ve got a game pad I can use for my PC, but these are the kind of games I want to go sit on the couch and play, or when laying in bed, etc. Picky, I know. Maybe a Steam Deck isn’t a bad idea, though…

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah I’ve got a game pad I can use for my PC, but these are the kind of games I want to go sit on the couch and play, or when laying in bed, etc. Picky, I know. Maybe a Steam Deck isn’t a bad idea, though…
Or... on your phone...

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
The Steam Deck is perfect for retro gaming.

Played and finished Xenogears recently.

Plan to move on to Xenosaga but needed a break so I'm playing Metroid Dread on it instead.

Also planning on playing a modded FF7 too then FF7R after.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Have any way to try steam link on your TV? I did it with an nvidia shield pro. Can play pc games across my house on the 86” tv.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Have any way to try steam link on your TV? I did it with an nvidia shield pro. Can play pc games across my house on the 86” tv.

I almost never have the TV sadly. I play my Switch on the couch in handheld while husband is on the TV with the Xbox. I didn’t know that was a thing, though.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Koush it's time you spoil yourself (or tell your husband to get on it) and get an LG OLED. 42" or 48" can be had for like $800-900. 55" for like 1-1.2k and if you got that Prime Visa you can get 5-10% cash back.

Life changing for gamers and high quality media viewing.

I almost never have the TV sadly. I play my Switch on the couch in handheld while husband is on the TV with the Xbox. I didn’t know that was a thing, though.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You can also do steam link on a tablet. I use it to play across the obelisk in bed once in a while. I have only used it with the touch screen but I imagine you could hook a Bluetooth controller to the tablet too.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Post-pisco WHM run should be fairly smooth. Dia spells smash Lich, then go get temper gauntlets and invisira robe.

Am I remembering right that the Saber spell does nothing in NES FF1? I think that's what the Giant Gloves cast. If the spell doesn't work, the item definitely does.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FFV endgame is super fun.

You do dungeons full of equipment to unlock ultimate weapons and another dungeon with some sort of ultimate ability.

Even had Water Tablet dungeon for 3 ultimate weapons unlocking Fork Tower for Flare/Holy unlocking Water Shrine for Mime.

Summoner is definetly carrying the group with Golem giving a physical shield Carbuncle giving reflect all.

Currently grinding up Ranger/Ninjas for x8 attack and Red Mages for double cast.

FF5 feels like the first complete game in the series with a lot of agency in the battle system and also some depth to the story.

Sounds like you're gonna roll the actual final boss. Luckily there are a couple of uberbosses in FF5 to give you an actual reason to power up to insane levels. FF5 invented the Optional Uberboss, more or less. Unless you count Astaroth in FF2 as one, but I think that was more of an "accidental uberboss" because the game is so uneven.

Yeah, I can't do them on PC (OR A PHONE) either. And I actually like phone gaming. The FF series is kind of sacrosanct for me though. I want to play these on a Switch, mainly. Would also accept PS5 to get six platinums out of it, cause I'd do everything in them either way. Can't believe they still haven't announced console collections for this yet, maybe they aren't going to.

Quite a few years ago I bought a USB adapter that let me use my favorite controller (PS1, no analog sticks, dpad is four individual buttons, fight me) and with that I don't have any problems using the computer for old games.

The PS5 DualSense (best controller I've ever used) also works on a PC. No adapter needed, just a USB-C plug like you'd plug it into the PS5 with. Using it to play emulated NES games is a trip.

Koush it's time you spoil yourself (or tell your husband to get on it) and get an LG OLED. 42" or 48" can be had for like $800-900. 55" for like 1-1.2k and if you got that Prime Visa you can get 5-10% cash back.

Life changing for gamers and high quality media viewing.

Yeah, do this. LG OLED is the best thing since wrestling. It made more of a visual quality difference in my gaming than upgrading to a PS5 did. I paid $2700 for mine when it was fairly new (and 65 inches), worth every penny. $800 for a smaller one is a full-on steal. At Best Buy they can also be bought on credit for like $80 a month or whatever with no interest if paid off within a year.

The Steam Deck is perfect for retro gaming.

Played and finished Xenogears recently.

Plan to move on to Xenosaga but needed a break so I'm playing Metroid Dread on it instead.

Also planning on playing a modded FF7 too then FF7R after.

Damn, don't get me started on Xenogears. I love that game so much. The Xenosaga trilogy is good but the second one is hard to get through. I've been trying to get into Xenoblade for a few years but I just can't seem to.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Sounds like you're gonna roll the actual final boss.
Screenshot_20221203-213857_Final Fantasy V.jpg

Yeah Rapid Fire is not good vs 4 targets!

Screenshot_20221203-215437_Final Fantasy V.jpg

Used Throw to kill the status attack head by chucking all my ultimate weapons and Fuma Shurikens and it was all good. Did:

x2 Freelancer - Rapid Fire + Throw - Monk/Ranger/Ninja mastered. Kaiser Knuckles equipped for dual weild fists.

x1 Mime - White Magic + Blue Magic + Dual Cast - White Mage/Blue Mage/Red Mage Mastered.

x1 Mime - Time Magic + Summoning + Red Magic - Time Mage + Summoner Mastered.

FF5 is objectively far above the first four, there's just no contest.