Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I almost never have the TV sadly. I play my Switch on the couch in handheld while husband is on the TV with the Xbox. I didn’t know that was a thing, though.

You can play some emulators on a tablet if you have one, and most controllers work through bluetooth these days. If the tablet/phone is the right size, you can even get one of those snap-on controller rigs that turns it into a handheld device knockoff.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 445967
Yeah Rapid Fire is not good vs 4 targets!

View attachment 445970

Used Throw to kill the status attack head by chucking all my ultimate weapons and Fuma Shurikens and it was all good. Did:

x2 Freelancer - Rapid Fire + Throw - Monk/Ranger/Ninja mastered. Kaiser Knuckles equipped for dual weild fists.

x1 Mime - White Magic + Blue Magic + Dual Cast - White Mage/Blue Mage/Red Mage Mastered.

x1 Mime - Time Magic + Summoning + Red Magic - Time Mage + Summoner Mastered.

FF5 is objectively far above the first four, there's just no contest.

FF5 might be the best on gameplay out of the entire first 9 (not that 10 is better, but I tend to group 1-9 for comparison and consider 10+ to be a completely different era).

FF6 is the best in most other areas and probably surpasses it overall.

As a kid I once loaded up all my save files and did a Final Boss Rush of FF1 through 9. The hardest final boss? FF5, easily. Followed by FF9 and then FF3.

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF5 might be the best on gameplay out of the entire first 9 (not that 10 is better, but I tend to group 1-9 for comparison and consider 10+ to be a completely different era).
FF10 is better though! International Sphere Grid is great for customisation, the tag team rock/scizzors/paper keeping everyone relevent is genius AND it has the ATB list and time abilties to rearrange it.

FF6 is the best in most other areas and probably surpasses it overall.
I've just picked up Edgar and FF6 already has more story than the first 3 combined. FF6 is to story as FF5 is to gameplay.

FF7+8 have iconic characters but they can be kinda shallow at times. FF9 has the active time event spam but it's mostly nonsense. Gonna be FF10 being the next best competitor again for story as it's the first with voice acting and has the strongest narrative of all the games in terms of having some real stakes and getting to know the characters.

As a kid I once loaded up all my save files and did a Final Boss Rush of FF1 through 9. The hardest final boss? FF5, easily. Followed by FF9 and then FF3.
I think Zeromus has been the hardest so far because I had to actually do something to mitigate it's big bang attack.

Then Cloud of Darkness because it just kept firing that lazer, but it was fine to spam Curaga after a little grinding to get HP up.

Neo-Exdeath I just had to focus the status head down then it was easy, I also intentionally didn't use Spellblades as my previous playthrough had been 4 of them spamming x8 Drain Strike and never dying.

Hardest in the series for me was FF14's Zodiark (took 2 hours to learn as a group on launch night) but the game keeps going so he probablly doesn't count.

I do remember Necron being a pain and you can't break the battle system to help...

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Necron is a pain, so is Ozma. Now that I think about it, FF9 probably does have FF5 beat on difficulty because FF9 doesn't have classes you can optimize like you can with Neo Exdeath and Shinryu/Omega.

One particularly rough fight that comes to mind is Yiazmat in FF12. I think that fight took me like 3 hours or something. I was probably doing something wrong. That's an optional uberboss though.

FF6's final boss is mad easy, one of the easiest in the series probably.

FF13's final boss is probably the hardest non-optional fight in that game, until you realize he can be poisoned. Poison, then turtle up, wait for win.

Not too many final bosses in this series are actually that bad, usually the difficulty is stored up for optional fights or sub-final bosses.

FFX has a tough one with Braska's Final Aeon (technically the penultimate boss) and Yunalesca (technically a decisive battle 75% of the way through).

FFXV bored me to death so I don't remember if any of the fights were hard, but I don't think so. It has an Adamantoise uberboss that I didn't fight the first time.

FF7 of course makes uberbosses much more of "a thing" with Emerald and Ruby Weapon, both major worthy challenges. FF8 carries this over with Ultima and Omega Weapon but I don't remember either of them putting up much of a fight in comparison.

Just rambling at this point, but suffice to say I'm a big uberboss/challenge boss kind of guy and I've beaten all of 'em in the FF series. Aside from FFXV of course which I left a ton unfinished with. I even beat the uberbosses of World of Final Fantasy, the last one of which is Xenogears (Fei's final mech from the titular game). That was a great bit of business.

Oh, I just remembered another tough one, FF13-2 has a whole array of uberbosses and one of them is Gilgamesh. He's ludicrously difficult.

Just remembered another: FF10-2 has that one-two punch of Paragon and Trema at the end of the optional dungeon. 100 floor dungeon and then you do possibly the hardest fight in the series at the end of it. Trema is ludicrous, and even more ludicrous in the HD remake because they removed a couple of OP attacks you could use from the game. So no spamming those for the win. I don't know how it's even a doable fight now.

Overall I'd say Trema in 10-2 is the hardest fight in the FF series, followed by Gilgamesh in 13-2. Yiazmat has fallen to 3rd because even though it took me 3 hours, it wasn't a life or death brawl like the other two. If you want to suffer, go through Via Infinito in FF10-2 in the HD remaster.

BrysB

Trakanon Raider
You never did the dark aeons or Penance in FFX?
Penance is really hard and takes lots of preparation to even attempt it.
IE modding the sphere grid with luck, having to do blitzball for Wakka's ultimate weapon.
The worst is farming
Earth Eater for fortune spheres, needed almost max luck for the three that fight him.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
One particularly rough fight that comes to mind is Yiazmat in FF12. I think that fight took me like 3 hours or something. I was probably doing something wrong. That's an optional uberboss though.
3 hours is a perfectly respectable Yiazmat time in the original release.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
She said she watched all of the videos in the game.
There’s a full length movie that leads up to the game. However it has nothing to do with the game like it was supposed to, other than the setting.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
These were kinda prequels though and were released at the same time/before the game so they were more meant as a way to get into the story. Kingsglaive goes a bit on why the war starts right before the introduction in the game, while Brotherhood is about the main characters childhoods. I think I watched the anime midway through the game and it kinda changed my opinion a bit on the most annoying character. Probably fine to watch them after clearing the game but I'd say it's best to watch them before the game.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Kingsglaive was pretty awesome. Saw it before the game came out and I was beyond stoked. Looked like FF15 was going to be almost like a retelling of FF6, with the Empire and its bigwigs falling into the same categories (Iedolas = Gestahl, Ardyn = Kefka, Ravus = Leo, Aranea = Celes, Verstael = Cid).

Then the actual game came out and felt like 1/8th of FF6 where they didn't have time to flesh out any of the Empire stuff and the World of Ruin is 2 hours long. Most of Kingsglaive isn't even followed up on. I compare FF15 to Secret of Mana a lot now.

I think the devs forgot to put a fight with The Emperor in (or have you find his corpse, like Secret of Mana). In Chapter 13 you kill some random enemy and there's a dubbed in line that's like "That was Emperor Iedolas!" afterwards and then everyone moves on like nothing happened.

Superb.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm doing it, I'm playing Four White Mages finally. On NES of course.

Marsh Cave and Astos were the parts I was most worried about. Got the unlucky roll of four Piscodemons. I basically spam Ruse on everyone until they've all got two layers of it, then just spam attack for a few minutes and hope I win first with my 5 damage hammer hits.

Astos I used all the A-Element spells and then spammed Mute until he was silenced. That weathered his first couple AOEs and then after that he just wasted almost all his turns. Dropped a couple Ruses too because sometimes he attacked, and then pummeled away.

The main threat in these fights, once all buffs/debuffs were on, was of dying from boredom while holding A. Lich shouldn't be too bad with Harm 3, Kary can be Feared off the battlefield. Kraken might be a problem and Tiamat I'm gonna be reliant on the Bane Sword which kinda sucks. Unless I get Holy early which is entirely possible. When I did a 4 Black Mage run I got Nuke before I even went to the Sunken Shrine.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just did the 3 split scenarios in FF6. Done it before but the Sabin scenario is nuts.

Locke: Escape from occupied Figaro and walk to Narshe.

Edgar & Terra: Sneak into Narshe through the mines.

Sabin: Get swept down a river and wash up on another continent because you suplexed an Octopus. Witness a warcrime. Accidentally board a train to the afterlife, suplex the train. Jump off a waterfall and get washed up on ANOTHER continent in the wrong direction. Safari Zone. Jump into an ocean current to get half way home. Go shopping and get a Boat to Figaro. Don't elaborate on how he got to Narshe from an occupied town.

Sabin used drowning as a mode of transport THREE TIMES.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just did the 3 split scenarios in FF6. Done it before but the Sabin scenario is nuts.

Locke: Escape from occupied Figaro and walk to Narshe.

Edgar & Terra: Sneak into Narshe through the mines.

Sabin: Get swept down a river and wash up on another continent because you suplexed an Octopus. Witness a warcrime. Accidentally board a train to the afterlife, suplex the train. Jump off a waterfall and get washed up on ANOTHER continent in the wrong direction. Safari Zone. Jump into an ocean current to get half way home. Go shopping and get a Boat to Figaro. Don't elaborate on how he got to Narshe from an occupied town.

Sabin used drowning as a mode of transport THREE TIMES.

Yeah, Sabin's scenario is hilariously long compared to the other two.

Man, that part of the game made such an impression on me as a kid. I was just fascinated by the environments and music and everything else, especially Narshe. First time I played the game, I got completely stuck at the Narshe snowfield battle. My characters were underleveled and probably poorly equipped...this was the second RPG I ever played. So I had to start the game over, one of the first notable examples of me having to start an RPG over due to a point-of-no-return wall.

In the Four White Mage FF1 Run, I plowed Lich in one turn with a barrage of Harm 3's. Couldn't get Fear to work on Kary unfortunately. I've done pretty much everything there is to do outside of fighting the remaining 3 Fiends and buying level 8 spells. The biggest problem in this run has been having to grind for money. There are only a few specific spots where you can grind with WMs. Undead tiles in Astos' Keep, Ice Cave, and Waterfall Cave. That's all I've found.

Also you need a TON of money. I thought the grinding was pretty much over once I got L3 spells and defeated the Marsh Cave and Astos. Nope. Noooooope. It's been way worse in the second half due to how much spell costs escalate after L5. Goes from 6k a spell at L5 to 20k/45k/60k for the last 3 levels.

The Ice Cave was the worst part in this whole thing, I think. Course, it probably is for most parties. Castle of Ordeals was also pretty bad, probably because I was so close to the Zeus Gauntlet and class-changes and tried to rush through only to encounter a bunch of required non-undead mobs.

Got everyone at like level 27 now IIRC. Might grind more but I'm grinded out already. I'll try to beat Kary/Kraken/Tiamat, then hopefully have enough money from selling loot to finish buying L8 spells. Kary seems like a bigger problem than Kraken, and this might be the only party where that's the case. I have no idea how I'm gonna get through TOF...unless I run it twice, one where I use up Holy charges to get through the bosses and grab Masamune, then another where I can use Masamune to chip the bosses down while turtling up with Invis2 and resists. Basically need to reach Chaos with all Holy charges intact and unleash all of those on that fight.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All four White Wizards at level 31 with all spells, all that's left is the TOF. Defeated Kary with Fear spam, defeated Kraken by using INV2 four times so all his big attacks missed. Tried using Bane on Tiamat but it never worked, ended up just blasting him with Holy since I had it by then.

Very interesting playthrough. I think 4x Thief was harder in the first half but not the second. 4x WM requires a lot more thinking and planning and whatnot. I actually recommend it. On the NES version, it'd be pretty easy on all the later versions I think.

Nintendo Power apparently said it was impossible to beat the game with this party, and challenged readers to prove them wrong. A couple months later they posted the names of everyone who succeded...and it was 3 people. This was back in 1994 or so, when challenges like this weren't a normal thing yet. It's possible nobody even did it before NP put it out into the public consciousness.

Trying to figure out how TF I'm going to get through the final dungeon though, since I have to save all Holy charges for the final boss.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
All four White Wizards at level 31 with all spells, all that's left is the TOF. Defeated Kary with Fear spam, defeated Kraken by using INV2 four times so all his big attacks missed. Tried using Bane on Tiamat but it never worked, ended up just blasting him with Holy since I had it by then.

Very interesting playthrough. I think 4x Thief was harder in the first half but not the second. 4x WM requires a lot more thinking and planning and whatnot. I actually recommend it. On the NES version, it'd be pretty easy on all the later versions I think.

Nintendo Power apparently said it was impossible to beat the game with this party, and challenged readers to prove them wrong. A couple months later they posted the names of everyone who succeded...and it was 3 people. This was back in 1994 or so, when challenges like this weren't a normal thing yet. It's possible nobody even did it before NP put it out into the public consciousness.

Trying to figure out how TF I'm going to get through the final dungeon though, since I have to save all Holy charges for the final boss.
I would’ve been 14 by then. I had definitely done it before that. Pretty sure I had mostly moved on from it at that point and only played it once in a while for nostalgia by then. Pretty cool they tried starting the masses doing challenges like that though. That’s some definite underestimation of gamer autism though.