Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems they'll be porting the pixel remasters to Switch based on ESRB "leaks". Also PS4 but doubt a lot of people care about that one, Switch makes sense though.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Seems they'll be porting the pixel remasters to Switch based on ESRB "leaks". Also PS4 but doubt a lot of people care about that one, Switch makes sense though.

That's gonna be a tough call. On Switch I could play them on the go, on PS4 they'd have trophies.

I think I'll go with PS4. If I wanted to play them on the go I could have done that already and gotten the phone versions. Trophy support for these is really appealing, because I've always wanted to do 100% runs of early FF games but never really had a reason to spend that kind of time on it. At least trophies give you a tangible "hey, I did that, here's when and here's the footage" that adds a lot.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Fucking hell, World of Ruin is bleak... Saved Cid this time though!

I seem to be doing MUCH better than the first few times I played FF6. Doing stuff like Earrings on Sabin for Kamehameha nukes.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah finding out that blitzes scale with magic damage is such a game changer.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You can definitely break the game in places with Sabin and his blitzes. Eventually relic combos make them much weaker, though.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
FF6 is too easy as is, if you're min/maxing you're playing wrong

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Isn’t there an FF6 rom hack out there that makes the game more challenging? But not in an over the top stupid way?

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know there's a popular one that fixes a lot of the bugs like evade/magic evade being broken, and does some game balance passes. Not sure if they're one in the same though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah finding out that blitzes scale with magic damage is such a game changer.

They what??

FF6 is too easy as is, if you're min/maxing you're playing wrong

I agree. There are so many ways to break the game and none of them are remotely necessary.

The only time it makes sense to min/max in FF6 is if playing the Advance version, since it has an actual postgame with an uberboss. And even then I wouldn't do it. That uberboss isn't too bad in the pantheon of serious uberbosses because you can min/max well past it as well. I think the final boss has about 65k HP and the Advance postgame uberboss has about 150k HP.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They what??
Some Blitzes are physical attacks scaling off attack and some are magical attacks scaling off magic.

Since they are designed assuming that Sabin will have base magic stat and invest in strength gear, they have great scaling if you boost his magic through espers/relics.

Aura Cannon and Pheonix Strike are the magic ones I'm using right now.

I agree. There are so many ways to break the game and none of them are remotely necessary.

The only time it makes sense to min/max in FF6 is if playing the Advance version, since it has an actual postgame with an uberboss. And even then I wouldn't do it. That uberboss isn't too bad in the pantheon of serious uberbosses because you can min/max well past it as well. I think the final boss has about 65k HP and the Advance postgame uberboss has about 150k HP.
I'm breaking all of them to reduce grind nessesity. If you look at my boss kill screenshots, I have fairly low max HP in a bunch of them.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know there's a popular one that fixes a lot of the bugs like evade/magic evade being broken, and does some game balance passes. Not sure if they're one in the same though.
I found it.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They what??
All of his blitzes except pummel and suplex do magic damage, check against mag def, and scale from his mag stat. Equipping relics like Earrings and having Stray equipped for levelups throughout the World of Balance makes a pretty huge difference in his power level relative to the rest of the cast. The game really isn't balanced around making aggressive use of esper levelup bonuses, Edgar can get pretty fucking nuts since you get access to a +2 Vigor esper so early.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the Esper level up bonuses are the main thing I was thinking of as trivializing combat. If you do your own exploration instead of following a guide / map, you easily overpower content just from keeping your Espers well cycled as you level. Every single one of your favorite characters becomes an uberpowerful all-arounder.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah, I never really got into the esper powerup bonuses back in the day. I'd focus on learning all the spells for everyone and just cycle all the espers around doing that. I remember hearing that they'd totally break the game if you focused on them.

One time I did the Lete River level-up trick where you leave the game running with a turbo controller overnight with Banon spamming Health. Took like, IDK, 15 hours, but after that every character would be level 99 (except Locke for some reason). Anyone new that joined? Also 99. I remember the stats of my level 99 characters being kinda bad and barely any better than my usual level 50-something endgame party. That trick completely excludes esper bonuses since it happens before espers are a thing. So you're basically completely gimping your party long-term to overlevel short-term.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Most (all?) characters wont hit the hp/mp caps doing the Lethe trick either. You need at some levels with a 30/50% esper equipped even on the most robust characters.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh yeah, I never really got into the esper powerup bonuses back in the day. I'd focus on learning all the spells for everyone and just cycle all the espers around doing that. I remember hearing that they'd totally break the game if you focused on them.

One time I did the Lete River level-up trick where you leave the game running with a turbo controller overnight with Banon spamming Health. Took like, IDK, 15 hours, but after that every character would be level 99 (except Locke for some reason). Anyone new that joined? Also 99. I remember the stats of my level 99 characters being kinda bad and barely any better than my usual level 50-something endgame party. That trick completely excludes esper bonuses since it happens before espers are a thing. So you're basically completely gimping your party long-term to overlevel short-term.
Haha yeah. Only did it to lv50 or so with a rubber band on my PS1 controller.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Screenshot_20221214-182938_Final Fantasy VI.jpg

This game has some weird shit in it and I love it. Starting to like it more than FF7+8.

Whole party was frozen but Celes is immune to Ice via Minerva Bustier. Threw on regen on my second attempt to heal up from the rare physical attacks. Battle took 5 minutes of Fire 2 between being chain frozen.

Definitely underlevelled and undergeared on most bosses. Had just enough DPS to beat the x3 Tonberries for the second Minerva Bustier.

Then I did Mt.Zozo and got a whole bunch of easy upgrades including Ice Sheild. FML.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
It's the best FF and always will be.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It's the best FF and always will be.

Pretty much. I'd love to see Square make an effort to make FF17 iconic like these old ones were. Meaning an iconic cast and story. Characters as interesting/memorable as FF7's.

I don't know if something like that is possible for them now though. I think FF9 was the last one with a really memorable cast (though FF10 and 12 had a couple of very bright spots and 15's four hero cast was good as the sum of its parts). I can't even tell the difference between FF16's characters and I couldn't tell you anything about any of them after seeing the trailer a couple times.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Pretty much. I'd love to see Square make an effort to make FF17 iconic like these old ones were. Meaning an iconic cast and story. Characters as interesting/memorable as FF7's.

I don't know if something like that is possible for them now though. I think FF9 was the last one with a really memorable cast (though FF10 and 12 had a couple of very bright spots and 15's four hero cast was good as the sum of its parts). I can't even tell the difference between FF16's characters and I couldn't tell you anything about any of them after seeing the trailer a couple times.
FF10 definitely has a strong cast, probably the last one to have a good one.

FF12/15 not so much. FF13 has a strong cast but they are strongly annoying and obnoxious.

FF14 managed to get there in the end but they had to iterate the characters a good few times.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users