Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Siliconemelons

9 is an odd one for me, I think its the one that I have purchased the most, yet still managed to not have it for my current gen systems... Nor have I actually completed the game, yet I rate it very high in the series.

Rude

Potato del Grande
9 is fun to break, but some of the characters, like Freya, take some time to break. Also, 9's super boss is a marble.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am about 75% through 5 right now(or so I think) and I do like the job system coming back. The OCD in me needs to stop myself from trying to max all dudes in all jobs, but otherwise I am enjoying it quite a bit. The status effects are much less annoying than in 4 so I'm happy about that.

While the pixel version do bring back good feelings of nostalgia, I am looking forward to getting into some of the newer ones with updated graphics, not that it is the most important thing. After FF7 I have never played any of them outside of 11/14(online versions), so I am pretty excited about that. Trying to figure out where to fit the remake of 7 in as well since I am playing them in order

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The OCD in me needs to stop myself from trying to max all dudes in all jobs, but otherwise I am enjoying it quite a bit.
If you don't know -- Freelancers and Mimes get all the passive abilities of the jobs they've mastered, and their stats are based on the highest stats of their jobs. So make sure to master Samurai and Ninja on everyone, for Shihiradori and Dual Wield. And mastering Monk, Thief, and Summoner will give you the highest possible stats. Master Ranger on your melees for Rapid Fire, master Red Mage on your casters for Dual Cast.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's been a long time since I played 9 but I remember I found the enforced parties (you must use a specific member) annoying. Especially as some of them would get locked out for a while and be sat there with a ton of good gear on them.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
9 is a worse game than people realize. I have never played 8. And it’s been at least 15 years since I’ve played 7. I usually do a playthrough of 4 every 5 years or so. It’s not the best but I enjoyed the shit out of it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
9 is fun to break, but some of the characters, like Freya, take some time to break. Also, 9's super boss is a marble.

Breaking the various FFs is a whole sub-game in itself.

FF2: Can just power up outside the very first town by having your characters beat each other up. Use fists and a shield to raise those since fists aren't limited by your place in the game the way weapons are and shield raises evade. Once you have 1000-2000 HP and high stats, unequip a shield to double-punch and completely wreck 80% of the game.

FF4: Not really the same as other things on this list, but it's pretty easy to powerlevel Cecil at Mt. Ordeals after he becomes a Paladin. Kill everyone off and he gets 5x exp, and the enemies there are weak against him. It's even easier if you brought the paladin-usable equipment from Mysidia's shop in advance and get him suited up right away. It takes little time to get him to like level 40, but it slows down around then. If you want you can get to 50 with some time. Supposedly this also means characters who join later will all scale to Cecil's level, with outliers like Cid and Edge who don't. I can't confirm if this is true because I've only done this in the FF4 3D mobile version and no one else scaled in that one.

FF6: Loop battles on the Lete River with Banon in the party (right before the first Ultros fight). Banon spams Health, with the game set on cursor memory. Needs some supervision at first since Banon can actually die easily if enemies focus on him, but once a few levels are gained for him your party becomes basically invincible and can keep looping indefinitely until they get to whatever level you want. This causes all future characters to scale to the same levels as well, except Locke, who stays at his current level since he was part of the inactive party at that point. This means no Esper bonuses, so even though your characters are high level, they'll be kind of weak for their level. Still, level 99 on everyone is enough to easily plow the rest of the game, even with no Esper bonuses at all.

FF7: Not really much of a trick but more of a "good grind spot" like FF4: Enemies outside Midgar/Kalm can pretty much all be one-shotted by Matra Magic, which is an E. Skill used by an enemy in that same area. Go to Kalm, buy all the new materia (Poison and Earth, etc) and go to down Matra Magic-ing everything in sight to gain a lot of levels and materia levels in a short amount of time. I know people who got -aga level spells on all their materia in several hours and pretty much rolled the rest of the game (up to the end of Disc 1 anyway).

FF8: Probably THE most breakable FF because of the Junction system. Can get your characters to be incredibly powerful by like 5 hours in by exploiting card refining, winning Triple Triad, and junctioning the right things. Run from most fights, get Enc-None from Diabolos as soon as possible and equip that, go through 75% of the game completely OP and low-level and not having to fight anything except bosses. Your low level means the enemies stay low level in this one since everything scales. Yet you'll be super OP from the junctioning. How to do all of this could be an entire guide in itself.

FF9: I don't actually know how to break this one so I'm ears if anyone wants to explain.

FF10-2: Breaking this is just a matter of unlocking the Dark Knight class and having all three wimmin learn Darkness. Grats, you can now one-round basically every enemy encounter in the game. There's slightly more involved than that but DK is the crux of it. Good luck with the postgame though because this has the hardest postgame I've ever seen.

FF12: The HD version can be totally broken early-on because there's a trials sub-game added to it that lets you get levels/equipment and bring them back to the main game. There's a certain trial room that always has a Danjuro (like the 5th-best sword in the game) and you can run past the enemies to grab it if you know where/how to get to it. Run this a few times and now you have Danjuros for everyone and they hit about 10x harder at the outset of the game. There's some other stuff you can swipe from the trial mode to add to this as well. I've got a save file like 2 hours into FF12 HD where everyone has uber-equipment from trial-sploiting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I am about 75% through 5 right now(or so I think) and I do like the job system coming back. The OCD in me needs to stop myself from trying to max all dudes in all jobs, but otherwise I am enjoying it quite a bit. The status effects are much less annoying than in 4 so I'm happy about that.

While the pixel version do bring back good feelings of nostalgia, I am looking forward to getting into some of the newer ones with updated graphics, not that it is the most important thing. After FF7 I have never played any of them outside of 11/14(online versions), so I am pretty excited about that. Trying to figure out where to fit the remake of 7 in as well since I am playing them in order

Go ahead and be OCD because maxing all dudes in all jobs is a good thing in 5. Stat bonuses, more options in the endgame.

As someone who has done two full run-throughs of the entire FF series (in 2001-2002 and 2007-2011) I'd leave 7 remake for late in the series. That'd be playing them "in order" anyway and it'd be super jarring to play that in the middle of the old games. Also it is no replacement for the original FF7.

You'll get some nicer visuals pretty soon regardless. FF8 Remastered is decent to look at and by FF10 HD onward they're quite pretty.

Order I'd do:
FF1-6 PRs
FF7 HD (the sharpened-up version for PS4 or PC, it's pretty nice)
FF8 Remastered
FF9, 10, 10-2 HD
FF12: The Zodiac Age
FF13
[If like FF13=TRUE, then go on to FF13-2 and Lightning Returns. If like FF13=FALSE, then go on to the next one]
FF15 (be prepared for amazing visuals and mediocre gameplay)
FF7 Remake
FF16

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF9: I don't actually know how to break this one so I'm ears if anyone wants to explain.
There's a mountain plateau somewhere early tbat accidentally has endgame dragons where you can grind up Freya.

Rude

Potato del Grande
There's a mountain plateau somewhere early tbat accidentally has endgame dragons where you can grind up Freya.
The grand dragons? I forgot about that.

Rajaah Rajaah

I was thinking more of a start -> long haul grind to break shit. Make sure you learn skills from equipment (auto haste, regeneration,...). With Zidane you pretty much need to try stealing as soon as you're able to as thievery has a small, accumulating bonus from it. I think Freya's dragon crest increases in damage per dragon killed? Long quest for steiner gets Excalibur or some broken weapon, shock does 9999 damage. And there's an item you can get for Amarant that he throws for close to capped damage.

I don't think I ever maxed out characters, but it's been about fifteen years since I last played. I just remember sleep walking through Ozma as it would spend 2 of its 3 attacks healing while I fucked off. There's also passives for resistances to counter act faggotry from Ozma and Necron

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Breaking the various FFs is a whole sub-game in itself.

FF2: Can just power up outside the very first town by having your characters beat each other up. Use fists and a shield to raise those since fists aren't limited by your place in the game the way weapons are and shield raises evade. Once you have 1000-2000 HP and high stats, unequip a shield to double-punch and completely wreck 80% of the game.

FF4: Not really the same as other things on this list, but it's pretty easy to powerlevel Cecil at Mt. Ordeals after he becomes a Paladin. Kill everyone off and he gets 5x exp, and the enemies there are weak against him. It's even easier if you brought the paladin-usable equipment from Mysidia's shop in advance and get him suited up right away. It takes little time to get him to like level 40, but it slows down around then. If you want you can get to 50 with some time. Supposedly this also means characters who join later will all scale to Cecil's level, with outliers like Cid and Edge who don't. I can't confirm if this is true because I've only done this in the FF4 3D mobile version and no one else scaled in that one.

FF6: Loop battles on the Lete River with Banon in the party (right before the first Ultros fight). Banon spams Health, with the game set on cursor memory. Needs some supervision at first since Banon can actually die easily if enemies focus on him, but once a few levels are gained for him your party becomes basically invincible and can keep looping indefinitely until they get to whatever level you want. This causes all future characters to scale to the same levels as well, except Locke, who stays at his current level since he was part of the inactive party at that point. This means no Esper bonuses, so even though your characters are high level, they'll be kind of weak for their level. Still, level 99 on everyone is enough to easily plow the rest of the game, even with no Esper bonuses at all.

FF7: Not really much of a trick but more of a "good grind spot" like FF4: Enemies outside Midgar/Kalm can pretty much all be one-shotted by Matra Magic, which is an E. Skill used by an enemy in that same area. Go to Kalm, buy all the new materia (Poison and Earth, etc) and go to down Matra Magic-ing everything in sight to gain a lot of levels and materia levels in a short amount of time. I know people who got -aga level spells on all their materia in several hours and pretty much rolled the rest of the game (up to the end of Disc 1 anyway).

FF8: Probably THE most breakable FF because of the Junction system. Can get your characters to be incredibly powerful by like 5 hours in by exploiting card refining, winning Triple Triad, and junctioning the right things. Run from most fights, get Enc-None from Diabolos as soon as possible and equip that, go through 75% of the game completely OP and low-level and not having to fight anything except bosses. Your low level means the enemies stay low level in this one since everything scales. Yet you'll be super OP from the junctioning. How to do all of this could be an entire guide in itself.

FF10-2: Breaking this is just a matter of unlocking the Dark Knight class and having all three wimmin learn Darkness. Grats, you can now one-round basically every enemy encounter in the game. There's slightly more involved than that but DK is the crux of it. Good luck with the postgame though because this has the hardest postgame I've ever seen.

FF12: The HD version can be totally broken early-on because there's a trials sub-game added to it that lets you get levels/equipment and bring them back to the main game. There's a certain trial room that always has a Danjuro (like the 5th-best sword in the game) and you can run past the enemies to grab it if you know where/how to get to it. Run this a few times and now you have Danjuros for everyone and they hit about 10x harder at the outset of the game. There's some other stuff you can swipe from the trial mode to add to this as well. I've got a save file like 2 hours into FF12 HD where everyone has uber-equipment from trial-sploiting.
The fact that so many FFs need grinding/breaking like this to be enjoyable is part of why I don't like replaying most of them, tho. FF5 has the perfect difficulty curve, by the time you break that shit, you earned it.

• 1Seriously?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Go ahead and be OCD because maxing all dudes in all jobs is a good thing in 5. Stat bonuses, more options in the endgame.
There's a limit... I forget which jobs aren't worth mastering, but the rule of thumb is -- master the ones with passive abilities, the ones with the 2/3 abilities you're going to equip to your Freelancers / Mimes, and then Monk / Thief / Summoner for the best stats.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

With FF7 there are spots in the open world where if you press down on the controller cloud will walk back and forth and the random monsters are big worms that use a lot of elemental earth attacks. With leveled elemental materia set to earth you'll out heal whatever bits of melee damage they do. Clamp down the direction pad, clamp down the action button on a controller with rapid fire and go to bed. Capping something like Knights of the Round takes more than one night but it's zero work.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
With FF7 there are spots in the open world where if you press down on the controller cloud will walk back and forth and the random monsters are big worms that use a lot of elemental earth attacks. With leveled elemental materia set to earth you'll out heal whatever bits of melee damage they do. Clamp down the direction pad, clamp down the action button on a controller with rapid fire and go to bed. Capping something like Knights of the Round takes more than one night but it's zero work.
Damn that one is a new one for me somehow!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Oh yeah, I think I know about that. It's at the end of Disc 1, like right before the final area/fight. IIRC I did some grinding there when I tried the HD version. Lemme check my save file.

20230717_151637.jpg

Yeah, this is last area of Disc 1, levels are about 2x what they'd normally be at that point.

20230717_151749.jpg

Looks like I got every piece of equipment available (I remember almost having to restart over Germinas Boots) and learned all of their skills across all characters while dragon-farming.

I did a few saves like this in the HD FFs since I didn't actually play through any of them, early-game saves where I spent a lot of time making a group the most OP it could be at that point so that I could easily plow any future playthroughs if I wanted to.

Taking some pictures of some more of them, I'll post those later.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230717_145725.jpg

Here's FF7 HD. Didn't play through this either but I did build up this "super save" early on for whenever I do. I think I did this in 2020 right around when Remake was out.

The save is parked at Fort Condor, right before Junon. I think originally it was supposed to be right outside Midgar, but I ended up doing Kalm/Chocobo Ranch/Mythril Mines so I could A) Get Yuffie built-up, B) Have Poison and Earth materia, and C) Get Flamethrower E. Skill from the Mines. (I did not get Beta from the Zolom, I want the game to be easier not a complete walk).

I did most of the actual grinding back around Midgar (with Matra Magic) after I got Yuffie, switching E. Skill around to whoever needed to rack up kills.

20230717_145736.jpg

Kills in question were to get everyone to L3 Limit Breaks, which I did. Vincent and Cid are gonna be SOL on that front, but since they're often my endgame party anyway I'm sure they'll catch up.

20230717_145744.jpg

Tifa is especially ultra-OP for this stage of the game. The L3 limit breaks actually completely wreck if you get them early like this.

20230717_145740.jpg

Also this means I'll be able to get Great Gospel for the first time ever, since I never got Aerith's Limit level past like, Breath of the Earth much less anything beyond that due to the time she's around for.

20230717_145818.jpg

I don't have any -aga spells here but I have all the 2's. Looks like most of the work I did was getting all of the limits.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230717_150411.jpg

Trying to make heads or tails of my FF8 file. Looks like I played up to around the Timber part of the game (probably for access to certain cards). Squall's attack power is super high and the rest of his stats are normal.

20230717_150515.jpg

I do seem to have about 80-90% of all the GF abilities for the first 3 GFs (too bad I didn't get to Diabolos for Encounter None) while still having low levels, not sure how I did that because I don't remember this game well enough. Seems like everyone is under level 10 except Squall at level 11.

20230717_150548.jpg

Lot of spells are at 100, including Double which is pretty huge this early. I'm certain I refined that from cards. Looks like that's most of what I did, won card battles and refined spells from cards. Not sure how I got GF abilities and levels so high while also not gaining character levels.

20230717_153336.jpg

Here's FFX-2. This file is way later than the other early-game files I've shown and is probably about halfway through the game. Which is fine because the first half of this is fun enough and easy enough to replay normally before switching tracks to this file to plow the rest. I have a basically unkillable party here between 2x Darkness and an Alchemist (3x DK is even more OP, but Alchemist ensures they won't run into problems with any bosses)

20230717_153349.jpg

Aside from Darkness being incredibly OP in this, DKs are also pretty much immune to all statuses. Looks like I didn't really do a ton with any other classes so I just focused on the most OP ones rather than doing a full max-out.

20230717_155326.jpg

Lastly we have FF12 Zodiac Age. This save file is the earliest out of all of them, pretty much right at the beginning. Maybe like 30 minutes into the game. I thought I had Danjuros but what I actually have are Karkatas, which is still a top-tier weapon damagewise and inflicts Confuse (even on a lot of bosses). Look how much higher the damage output is than the other stats.

20230717_155643.jpg

Also have a ton of the License Boards done on Vaan and Penelo, which means future characters will join with a ton of LP and be able to do the same.

The important thing was getting enough LP on the Knight board to be able to actually equip Karkata, just farming them wasn't enough. It's in the southeast area of the board. I farmed 3 of the weapon (for a 3 person party) which took a couple hours of farming the first 3 fights of the Trial Mode. This also got me a boatload of money (from selling Diamond Armlets from the first TM fight).

20230717_160351.jpg

All in all it took 6 and a half hours to get 3 Karkatas, 35,000 Gil, the needed LP, and level 20, which is all pretty huge for being 30 minutes into the game.

That's all I've got for super-files. Though I did also do some pumped-up early game files for a few others.

FF2 NES - Have a file at the very beginning where everyone has around 2000 HP and significantly built-up stats, which makes it a snap if I ever need to play FF2 NES again.

FF3 NES - Have a file right after the first dungeon/boss with four level 13 Monks (since Monks get the biggest HP increase of the early classes). This one took a while and was super grindy because FF3 early game enemies give paltry rewards, so I don't recommend it. Level 13 will basically just give me a leg up for like the next 20% of the game, if that.

FF10 - Have a save in Luca (which is fairly early) where I built up a decent amount of Sphere Levels and, more importantly, farmed 99 of the various sphere orbs at Besaid Island. Getting more sphere levels is easy and gets easier as the game goes on, but I never had enough sphere orbs to spend them without going back and farming. So this file negates the need for that.

Whew, I think that's everything. PrimalLiquid on Youtube did some good "get overpowered early" videos that helped me figure a lot of this out, so check that out if there's a particular game you want to maximize. Some of the stuff he does takes like a hundred hours though. I spent like 5-12 on most of these OP files, think FF7 at 17 hours was the longest (unless you count X-2 at 18 but that was with me playing half the game).

I never did this kind of early-game super file stuff for any other series (probably because you usually can't). Closest thing I can think of is that Dragon Quest 6 has a specific area about halfway through the game, a tower, where you can max out classes way before you're supposed to be able to (as most areas have caps on when class points stop being gained). Endgame areas let you max classes but not before that except this one tower, so I maxed out a bunch of classes there and could have maxed all of them. This was in 2021 or so and I was spending a lot of time on airplanes, so grinding in DQ6 on a phone was a good way to relax.

• 1Mother of God

Siliconemelons

FF4 is coming along nicely - I am scooting along- trying to think of the places I had issues when I was a kid, and they are all mostly the same. The baron royal guard guy always caused me a fit, as did the stupid dolls in the dwarf castle. After that I only recall the wall being an issue and everything scoots along... so I will see on this play-through.

I also now tend to grind 2-3 levels before each new "area" - like now I am doing a few levels before I jump into Tower of Babel - the bad guys outside dwarf town are very easy, but give very little exp for what is now needed per level. The stupid spike rats outside the dark elf place were total pains in the butt!