Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There any trick to beating Diabolos early on? I always have issues with that fight. Usually fight him with Laguna's group so I can hear the rad battle theme, usually takes me a few tries. And I think I usually get it close to the end of Disc 1, because I never have Encounter-None until some point in early Disc 2. Considering most people get him done way earlier than that, I'm probably missing something obvious.

He's weak to the gravity spells you can draw from him. Instead of draw - store you draw - cast. It can be messy but you can beat him the second you get handed the item that summons him.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
He's weak to the gravity spells you can draw from him. Instead of draw - store you draw - cast. It can be messy but you can beat him the second you get handed the item that summons him.

I figured there was some trick to it. That's pretty cool, I'm gonna try that next time I play through it. Hopefully I didn't already get him in that slightly-OP early-game save.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dalien

Registered Hodor

I figured there was some trick to it. That's pretty cool, I'm gonna try that next time I play through it. Hopefully I didn't already get him in that slightly-OP early-game save.

Yeah he's actually easiest when you first get the lamp. At level 10 his attacks will only take 10% of your HP, at level 100 he'll hit for 9999. Save at the Balamb save point and have at it.

So yeah draw demi's from him until it starts hitting for low amounts. Then just use Shiva or regular attacks to finish him off.

Also his gravity attacks can't actually kill you, only his physical attacks. If you stick blind on him (may take a few tries) it's almost impossible for him to kill you (he does still have a tiny chance to hit you with his physical but it's really really low).

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah he's actually easiest when you first get the lamp. At level 10 his attacks will only take 10% of your HP, at level 100 he'll hit for 9999. Save at the Balamb save point and have at it.

So yeah draw demi's from him until it starts hitting for low amounts. Then just use Shiva or regular attacks to finish him off.

Also his gravity attacks can't actually kill you, only his physical attacks. If you stick blind on him (may take a few tries) it's almost impossible for him to kill you (he does still have a tiny chance to hit you with his physical but it's really really low).

Didn't know blind worked on him either. Status effects seem to be pretty useful in FF8 compared to a lot of these games. Well, I'll definitely get him (and Enc-None) a lot sooner in the future.

Unrelated note, you ever fight the super-boss in Dragon Quest VI? Easily the toughest fight in the first six games in that series. Had an awesome time figuring it out though. I ended up getting the Liquid Metal Slime class for one character (the big guy, I think), leveling that to max, and then basically having everyone hide behind the LMS character buffing him and throwing attacks while he used Forebearance and tanked all the AOEs. Was kind of like an EQ fight. Very fun time.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Looks like I haven't gotten the Diabolos lamp yet. Got everyone at about level 10 and all junctioned up with about 70% of the GF skills learned for the 3 starters and Siren. I guess I didn't go very far at all. Squall is by himself in Balamb, no clue where I left off exactly or how close I am to Diabolos. Have a TON of cards. Kinda want to replay this now, or at least fight Diabolos. Well, I'll do it eventually.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Didn't know blind worked on him either. Status effects seem to be pretty useful in FF8 compared to a lot of these games. Well, I'll definitely get him (and Enc-None) a lot sooner in the future.
Junction the Pain spell to Status Attack. It does Blind, Silence and Poison.

Another trick is once you get the Aura spell, it gives a high chance to randomly get a limit break, but you can just keep switching party members until it procs lol.

This is making me want to finish my playing FFs in order run. I did 1-6 and gave up on 7 early as I had replayed it not long before and couldn't pirate it for my phone.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Junction the Pain spell to Status Attack. It does Blind, Silence and Poison.

Another trick is once you get the Aura spell, it gives a high chance to randomly get a limit break, but you can just keep switching party members until it procs lol.

This is making me want to finish my playing FFs in order run. I did 1-6 and gave up on 7 early as I had replayed it not long before and couldn't pirate it for my phone.

Man, FF8 has to be one of the most breakable RPGs out there. So many things you can do to just shatter this game. Two people can play it differently to the point that it might as well be a different game to both of them.

Another thing you can do is punch in all the SeeD test answers, which are always the same and thus can be looked up. Then get more money than you need for the rest of the game. Someone who doesn't do any SeeD tests is gonna be poor for most of the game. Worst way to FF8 is to level grind, rely on GF summons for damage, and ignore SeeD tests.

...I think I did all 3 of those during my first run in 1999.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Seriously considering buying the HD version of this for my phone now.

Any challenges for me? No Draw/No Cards maybe?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Why the fuck is this conversation even in this thread? We have other FF threads and a 30 second search even turned up an ancient FF8 thread.

• 1Like
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Why the fuck is this conversation even in this thread? We have other FF threads and a 30 second search even turned up an ancient FF8 thread.

Because ff8 sucks but for some reason people have convinced others to play it because - well ff8 sucks and they must share the dumbness

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I thought this had just kind of become the all-purpose FF thread now that people have been pretty much done with the Pixel Remaster for a long time. 'Sides we've got folks playing the series, so they could necro the FF8 thread, but then they'll move on to FF9 soon enough, and...yeah.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande

It's a thread about playing Final Fantasy Remasters and 8 got a graphics overhaul as well as 1-6. The other games just got HD upscaling which often makes them look worse.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I thought this had just kind of become the all-purpose FF thread now that people have been pretty much done with the Pixel Remaster for a long time. 'Sides we've got folks playing the series, so they could necro the FF8 thread, but then they'll move on to FF9 soon enough, and...yeah.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Every time I remember that for a lot of people FF8 is their favourite Final Fantasy I lose my faith in humanity that little bit more.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Every time I remember that for a lot of people FF8 is their favourite Final Fantasy I lose my faith in humanity that little bit more.

To be fair, quite a lot of people's favorite FF is simply the first one they ever played, for obvious reasons. Unless you're super old fucks like most of us who go back to the original on the NES, which none of us are actually going to pick, of course.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
My fault on wrong thread. I thought this was for all the older ones and not just 1-6 PR. Thought the braverly one was for that game only. Anyway, thanks for advice everything. I still dislike 8, but I’m gonna finish it and keep trucking through them in order!

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
To be fair, quite a lot of people's favorite FF is simply the first one they ever played, for obvious reasons. Unless you're super old fucks like most of us who go back to the original on the NES, which none of us are actually going to pick, of course.
FF1 NES was not my 'favorite' FF but I do fondly remember reading in Nintendo Power (tm) where to get the good gear and cherry picking gear at low levels to rip through the game. That's actually all I remember about the game. I believe it was the game that made me go buy my own NES. Before I only played on my brothers console when I came home on the weekends.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah some faggot power tripping moderator arbitrarily decided to add Bravely Default to the title and it's never been fixed ever since. I blame Denamian Denamian
You have to have a giant stick up your arse to tell people off because this thread is for I-VI remasters and not the VIII remaster.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Telling you off isn't pedantry, it's a civic duty.

Could probably just merge this with the authoritative thread, that was why I titled it that way.