Final Fantasy VII Remake

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you look at the Amazon page it goes out of its way to not tell you its an Episodic game. Just says, "multi-part saga." Really tells you all you need to know.

The episode info has been out for years at this point, if you're anyone who had any interest in this game and didn't watch the E3 demonstration where they confirm it as well, I have zero sympathy. Are there really going to be some mouth-breathers out there who buy this completely unaware of all the info that has been coming out over the last year plus and be like "I thought it was the whole game"?

Even if there are, they are fucking morons at this point.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don’t really see any white knighting in this thread and Gavinmad Gavinmad is even participating. Trust me I’d call it out, I invented the white knight medal on this board.

I do see some people welcoming the expansion of the universe and there’s nothing wrong with wanting that, even if you think SE is doing it for the wrong reasons. I am not a fan of the expanding and episodic method, at all, but I can understand why they and fans would want it.

Suck my ass, I don't want these incompetent fucks remaking FF6 or Chrono Trigger. SNES is the last time Square actually made good games.

• 5Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 11 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jesus, it's one of the most visually interesting cities in any game and a rare example of cyberpunk.

You call it drab and and grey...

I know this is way late... and I'm going to sound like a gamefaqs poster but I like my fantasy to largely stay in my final fantasies. I love the steampunk stuff and VII was ok as once you got out of Midgard it largely returned to form. But yeah Urban settings are drab and boring to me no matter what genre. I don't like the GTA games for the same reason... just no variety in scenery to me. VII, VIII, and XV especially were just way too modern/futuristic for my tastes (among many other glaring flaws so I'll throw XIII into there as well).

Merrith

I know this is way late... and I'm going to sound like a gamefaqs poster but I like my fantasy to largely stay in my final fantasies. I love the steampunk stuff and VII was ok as once you got out of Midgard it largely returned to form. But yeah Urban settings are drab and boring to me no matter what genre. I don't like the GTA games for the same reason... just no variety in scenery to me. VII, VIII, and XV especially were just way too modern/futuristic for my tastes (among many other glaring flaws so I'll throw XIII into there as well).

Definitely a subset of FF fans agree with you, they always rank VI/IX/IV high on their ranking lists for this reason. It's similar to how there are people who prefer the games where the characters are very different and have set jobs/roles versus the ones where you can pretty much customize everyone to do everything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Definitely a subset of FF fans agree with you, they always rank VI/IX/IV high on their ranking lists for this reason. It's similar to how there are people who prefer the games where the characters are very different and have set jobs/roles versus the ones where you can pretty much customize everyone to do everything.

For some odd reason X is one of my favorites along side IV. I loved VI too but not at all to the level many do... I thought it was good but not great or awesome. X had all the modern stuff but then transported you to a mostly fantasy world and I thought that really worked well. Outside of the voice acting, I loved the story to it as well. And the sphere grid was hands down the best progression I have ever seen in a role playing game. I wish they'd go back to that one more time.

Merrith

For some odd reason X is one of my favorites along side IV. I loved VI too but not at all to the level many do... I thought it was good but not great or awesome. X had all the modern stuff but then transported you to a mostly fantasy world and I thought that really worked well. Outside of the voice acting, I loved the story to it as well. And the sphere grid was hands down the best progression I have ever seen in a role playing game. I wish they'd go back to that one more time.

I enjoyed X quite a bit for the sphere grid, too. Although if you're a completionist always wanting to "max" everything, frankly redoing the entire sphere grid is one of the more tedious iterations.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I enjoyed X quite a bit for the sphere grid, too. Although if you're a completionist always wanting to "max" everything, frankly redoing the entire sphere grid is one of the more tedious iterations.

But that optional boss animal hunt thing though... that shit was brilliant. Tons of extra content for those of us crazies who do like to max everything out.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

But that optional boss animal hunt thing though... that shit was brilliant. Tons of extra content for those of us crazies who do like to max everything out.

Yeah I did enjoy a lot of the optional bosses. Was good shit.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I have FF10 on PS4 and was going through it. I made it about 15-20% of the way in before I wanted every single character in my party to get killed violently for their shit conversations between each other which did absolutely nothing to advance a story plot. I like the overall arching possibilities of the story, but the character interactions between each other drives me batshit insane.

Tidus: "Look at the stars...."
Yuna: "Its so gorgeous!"
Tidus: "Oops I spilt my dinner"

Queue them laughing at each other for literally one minute 23 seconds in a laughing cut scene 1 minute and 22 seconds too long. I mean who wrote this garbage? I like Wakka and Jecht and would always hope that Jecht might just kill everyone of them in the game and it would just end. God it's bad. But then I also have to remember, this was a long time ago and the genre has advanced a lot since then.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Some of the convos are pretty fucking silly, but a good bit of it I enjoyed to see how they progress through the story. Also the simple fact that Tidus has no clue what the ultimate "endgame" is going to be for awhile in the story, and is a complete stranger to their world. Obviously the laughing scene has been trolled about for years.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Some of the convos are pretty fucking silly, but a good bit of it I enjoyed to see how they progress through the story. Also the simple fact that Tidus has no clue what the ultimate "endgame" is going to be for awhile in the story, and is a complete stranger to their world. Obviously the laughing scene has been trolled about for years.

I didn't know that about the trolling of the laughing scene. I'll try and pick it up again and get through the cringe because I feel like there is a good over arching story line there that plays itself out as time goes on. But in the back log it went to play through all of Odyssey and Ratchet and Clank. (Ratchet and Clank is frigging awesome)

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
DQ11 was solid other than the stupid music contract shit that prevents them from using the good music in the game. Even with the bad music it was good. Octopath/FFXII Zodiac/DQ Builders 2 were also decent enough from what I heard, not great mind you but not horrible cashgrab shit. Overall looking at the recent releases, I'm not really seeing any big evidence that SE is scum. I don't really see them as godlike either though, not sure anyone does here, people are just excited about FFVII because it's FFVII.

It seems you have an axe to grind against the episodic/pricing structure on this based on your most recent post, which is fine, but people have different expectations of "value" when it comes to games and stuff like nostalgia will increase that a fair bit. Regardless though it still seems early to argue in good faith about the value or lack-of when the game hasn't been released or officially tested and the only insider info is dodgy at best.

Not saying people should preorder, god no that'd be retarded on this, but crucifixing the game because of its poor value due to its episodic content and full price seems a bit premature when you don't know(as in actually know, not infer) if there's indeed no value to it. Best wait a few days after release until people clear the game and see how long it takes and how much there is to do other than the main story and if it's worth it. And if it's not, well can always wait until the whole thing is released and buy the special edition or whatever they'll eventually make with all the episodes on the next gen platforms/PC. It's not like it's new stuff so waiting shouldn't be too much of an issue, at least I'm not in a hurry and will grab it on PC once it releases or when it's on sale, depending on feedback from the console version.
Personally I don’t think they are scum or anything like that, just that they have no idea how to make a game that people actually want to play anymore. Their domination of the turn based story driven RPG (and even tactical RPG in FFT) did not at all prepare them to make action RPGs where people demand coherent stories and characters, good combat mechanics, fun settings, and quality voice acting. About the only thing they have been getting right on their recent games has been graphics.

Im still likely to get this game since the original is one of my favorites, but I’m not really all that optimistic about how good it will be. Hopefully It’s a lot of fully fleshed content that justifies the cost for it given the episodic approach.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have FF10 on PS4 and was going through it. I made it about 15-20% of the way in before I wanted every single character in my party to get killed violently for their shit conversations between each other which did absolutely nothing to advance a story plot. I like the overall arching possibilities of the story, but the character interactions between each other drives me batshit insane.

Tidus: "Look at the stars...."
Yuna: "Its so gorgeous!"
Tidus: "Oops I spilt my dinner"

Queue them laughing at each other for literally one minute 23 seconds in a laughing cut scene 1 minute and 22 seconds too long. I mean who wrote this garbage? I like Wakka and Jecht and would always hope that Jecht might just kill everyone of them in the game and it would just end. God it's bad. But then I also have to remember, this was a long time ago and the genre has advanced a lot since then.

Yeah some of the scenes were cringe worthy... but this was a game released in 2000... it was the first FF to have full voice acting and all that. But overall I loved the story. The romance between Titus and Yuna. The back story of Titus and his asshole Dad. Wakka the close minded fundie who had a hilarious accent. And Auran... because he was just bad ass. I really loved the whole thing. It was the last "complete" story an FF had for me and I'd love for them to go back to that form cinge and all if need be.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Well I think for me, if I want to see a medieval city or castle, I can get in a car and go see one.

Americans and Japanese can't do that.

I can't go and see a skyscraper filled city though, especially a grimy one on the cyberpunk side - skyscrapers in Europe are always small, clean financial districts.

Midgar was a culture shock for me.

For a similar reason I like the setting of FFX, post apocalyptic polynesia is as far away from Europe as possible.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well I think for me, if I want to see a medieval city or castle, I can get in a car and go see one.

I can't go and see a skyscraper filled city though, especially a grimy one on the cyberpunk side - skyscrapers in Europe are always small, clean financial districts.

For a similar reason I like the setting of FFX, post apocalyptic polynesia is as far away from Europe as possible.

Right and I guess don't mistake me. I'm not necessarily saying Medieval at all. I mean I do love the setting, but FFX wasn't exactly Ye Olde Tolkien Trope at all, and I loved it's setting and it was the right amount of fantasy mixed with steam/cyber. Same with FFVII sans Midgar. And also yeah Midgar in its original form was cool... for the 7 or so hours you were there. I'm just not sure I'm excited to spend 60-100 there if this is a proper FF game with optional bosses and dungeons and shit.

With that said, I'm on a wait and see with this game right now. I'm going to be balls deep in Nioh 2 to give a shit about this anyway, so I'm going to see what their actual plans are for splitting this all up. I'm kind of with Utnayan Utnayan on this, and if they are going to stretch this shit out over more than just a couple or three parts at 60 bucks a piece, they can get bent. Especially if this first part ends up being crazy short without a whole lot of extra content. Not saying it will be, but we are literally just a couple months out and there hasn't been a ton of actual info on the overall game plan.. we just keep getting trailers of the famous bits of the first 7 hours of the original game done in pretty 2020 graphics.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

I can see this. My wife is still disappointed when we did our European tour a couple years ago and while in Berchtesgaden we didn't go to see Neuschwanstien on the way to Lucern (Which was kind of out of the way) but still... Either way, we saw a ton of them in Ireland last September. So she was fine again.

So I can kind of see this actually. I like more country, mountains, ocean, medieval - because I live in a suburb. Never thought of it like this. That's a good explanaion :)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I can see this. My wife is still disappointed when we did our European tour a couple years ago and while in Berchtesgaden we didn't go to see Neuschwanstien on the way to Lucern (Which was kind of out of the way) but still... Either way, we saw a ton of them in Ireland last September. So she was fine again.

So I can kind of see this actually. I like more country, mountains, ocean, medieval - because I live in a suburb. Never thought of it like this. That's a good explanaion :)
Irish castles are great, the ones I saw were all half destroyed by the English :)

• 1Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
We went to Blarney where everyone kissed a rock while laying upside down. That was a pretty cool castle :)

Siliconemelons

7 was the first game you had locations that were meant to be 1:1 ratio with your character... think about that.

Every FF game what you "see" is representative of something. A town fountain is not as "big" as a human, but it's 1x1 square... a pot is not as "big" either... etc etc...

Every game a "big" city or castle was a hand full of screens.