Final Fantasy VII Remake

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's FOH, seeing for yourself how wrong certain people are is winning the game.

• 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Watched a review of someone that beat it on classic mode doing 0 side content - 24 hours. Playing on the pussy crybaby mode, not bad

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
In the ACG review it talks a lot about running/travel sinks where those random encounters are not really there. All business complaints aside and I am going to spare Quaid Quaid and Chris Chris that stuff for ever, point has been beaten (Even I admit that) those textures.....

I knew the textures were shit in the demo, but I thought since they were so bad it was being patched on launch day. Sounds like that is not the case. 4k means literally nothing if you are upscaling 720p texture assets. I am glad the ACG review touched on that. And the ACG review goes into the pad. Some decent world building, but the side characters and everything else that was touted as making the world all fleshed out and "explore this" is greeted by some horrid character graphical settings, voice acting, and lip sync issues. I am guessing this is where the delays came. Rushed additions.

The fact of the matter is Witcher 3 and it's side quests/DLC have spoiled me. Seeing that amount of effort put into a game from a smaller (Used to be anyway) company that got it right shows the real difference between one dependent factor: Stop Starts. FF7 Remake was poorly managed, farmed out, and then brought back in house, and to meet financial obligations, a delay to copy paste random meaningless filler into a game and out the door it goes. Games like Witcher 3, a delay meant quality content, adding as much creative and well written content to play through as they could, and the end result was a financial windfall.

If anything we can see the two polar opposites of development styles - and the latter is what pays off in the end so I wish the industry would take notice.
So I need your opinion. Wife hates games but fell in love with red dead 2 and wants another experience like that. Would Witcher 3 scratch that itch?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
So I need your opinion. Wife hates games but fell in love with red dead 2 and wants another experience like that. Would Witcher 3 scratch that itch?

Depends on the story stuff she likes. If she liked Game of Thrones, definitely. You can't go wrong though when you can get the Game of the Year on sale for only $14.99. The combat is a little lacking but if she got through RDR2 she can easily get through this. But she can always throw that to story mode and get through it easily. The stories and side activities, character depth, etc - all amazing. Awesome ghost stories if she likes that stuff throughout. And the amount of sheer awesome hand crafted content destroys anything out there.

It's truly a remarkable game from head to toe (I just wish I could have implanted the AC:Odyssey combat into it for a little more fluidity)

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think knowing that it isn't a "remake" but a quasi sequel or remix is important to whether or not you purchase it. Everything else is secondary.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Throw her in to Bloodborne or dark souls.

But seriously, it depends on why she liked it. If it was the setting characters, there’s no guarantee that she will also like witcher 3.

• 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Visuals and Combat are far better than the original. Music is sometimes better sometimes worse.

Story is the same, just with modern techniques. The ending I'll have to let you know about.

Sidequests are meh for me, but you can just skip all but one of them the three times you are in a sidequest section. Just don't do them.

Playtime is going to be half of the original though. It's not in a bad state at all, it's very high quality. It just depends on how much of an issue the 35-40 hours playtime is for you.

Why do people think original FF7 was a long game? 35 hours of main storyline max if you are minimally competent. Even my first playthrough as a proto-adult was sub 40 hours.

The rest is all timesink grind 'sidequests' for lack of a better term. Gold Chocobo, Golden Saucer Grind/Ultimate weapon & limit break collection, Emerald & Ruby weapon/Master Mime & Final Attack grind... All that probably doubles the playtime you can extract.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Watched a review of someone that beat it on classic mode doing 0 side content - 24 hours. Playing on the pussy crybaby mode, not bad
I'd say that battles take up a significant amount of time, there's a lot involved in pressuring and staggering monsters, they also interrupt you a lot if you don't dodge or block right. There's a lot of variety in monster combinations too and they all need diifferent things to break their defencs.

So game journalist mode is going to be faster from battles too, they may even mark the game down because they don't know how good the combat is.

Last edited:

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I see some streamers still using the buster sword way later in the game.
Does the weapon upgrade system allow you to just use whatever you want, as long as you put pointa(or whatever) into the weapon?

Last edited:

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think knowing that it isn't a "remake" but a quasi sequel or remix is important to whether or not you purchase it. Everything else is secondary.

I've still been avoiding spoilers, so I may be off base here if they changed more than I'm thinking, but even in development they definitely made airs that the story wasn't going to be the exact same, and part of the limitation of the old hardware was you had to "fill in" some stuff with the story yourself. Now, maybe that was part of the magic for those who liked original VII. I frankly would not mind if they made some changes to it. Obviously some people literally just wanted a shot for shot remake with updated graphics/VA, so I get if they are not happy about any changes. You could already see that group with the whining about the combat. 4 more days, can't wait.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Picard

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I've still been avoiding spoilers, so I may be off base here if they changed more than I'm thinking, but even in development they definitely made airs that the story wasn't going to be the exact same, and part of the limitation of the old hardware was you had to "fill in" some stuff with the story yourself. Now, maybe that was part of the magic for those who liked original VII. I frankly would not mind if they made some changes to it. Obviously some people literally just wanted a shot for shot remake with updated graphics/VA, so I get if they are not happy about any changes. You could already see that group with the whining about the combat. 4 more days, can't wait.
Yeah little side things here and there and different flow in order to get a world 3D modeled and stuff.

I am talking about what I am seeing that Sephiroth is time traveling to change the outcome. If it’s all a hoax then there isn’t any damage. If that’s true and this game is just basically a remix then people should be aware of that.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
So I see some streamers still using the buster sword way later in the game.
Does the weapon upgrade system allow you to just use whatever you want, and long as you put pointa(or whatever) into the weapon?
Yeah.

Each weapon has a special ability and a condition to learn it, once you've learned the ability you can use it with any weapon.

Each character gets skill points to upgrade their weapons when they level up. Each weapon has it's own pool of points, so if you level up and get +5 SP, every weapon has +5 SP for you to use. Respeccing is also free, it's very forgiving.

Every so often new groups of upgrades are unlocked for a weapon, you can't see them all from the start, so Buster Sword has more passive skills to unlock later in the game that you can't see right away. You don't have enough points to buy everything, you unlock new passives faster than you can buy them. There are secret items that give you SP for weapons that I've missed a few of it seems.

The upgrades are different on every weapon. Some are tank focused, some magic damage focused, some physical damaged focused. So if you may want to equip different weapons for different sections. For example climbing to Shinra Building has lots of flying enemies, but you can buy a caster sword for Cloud from Wall Market just before it. When Aerith is kidnapped, you'll have recently gotten caster gloves for Tifa. Barret is very tanky for a ranged character, so he get gets a few melee weapons later on.

So there's a lot to customise. You can have Cloud as your mage and Barret as your melee tank. You can have 3 mages. Out of combat you can swap without penalty and it even saves materia setups for each weapon. Aerith seems to be the least customisable, I don't think she has a melee option but she's the best mage to make up for it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah but did you see the textures on those tires? This is not the standard I expect of Final Fantasy 7, I can't even see the pixels.

Best thing is that there's a jukebox there that plays a remix of the Gold Saucer theme over and over again, just like the original. Kupo.

DUH DUH DUH, DUR DUR DUH DUH DUH, DER DER DUH DER DUH DER, DUR DUR DUR DER DUUUR.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
From @Fedor

God damn they really amped up the flaming. Watch the whole thing to see Cloud get the non-binary label and see Aeris cream her panties.

3XiKMch.gif

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah but did you see the textures on those tires? This is not the standard I expect of Final Fantasy 7, I can't even see the pixels.

Best thing is that there's a jukebox there that plays a remix of the Gold Saucer theme over and over again, just like the original. Kupo.

DUH DUH DUH, DUR DUR DUH DUH DUH, DER DER DUH DER DUH DER, DUR DUR DUR DER DUUUR.

Oh shut the fuck up. There is zero reason why the textures are so fucking awful. None. And the aliasing is pure aids as well.

That and the animations are cut from the same cloth as any other game released since 2013.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh shut the fuck up. There is zero reason why the textures are so fucking awful. None. And the aliasing is pure aids as well.

That and the animations are cut from the same cloth as any other game released since 2013.
The reason is so that the game can run as smooth as it does with the animations is has.

• 2Picard

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The reason is so that the game can run as smooth as it does with the animations is has.

Lol ok. Better mesh those out to maintain 30 FPS in this scene.

1586207551183.jpeg

It’s jarring as fuck and you are far better off hoping it’s a bug that gets a day one patch than downplaying the obvious head turning bullshit everyone is talking about in it needing it to be fixed. Your excuse might carry more weight if other areas didn’t suffer from this, and in much less graphical intensive areas where game performance wouldn’t take a hit anyway.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You guys ever look at the original FF7? Not the re releases but the original. God it's ugly as fuck

• 2Truth!
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 5 users