Final Fantasy VII Remake

Chris

Potato del Grande
Why are you even able to "try" and deviate... that's stupid
So far there's been four encounters, two preserving the first meetings with Aerith and two preserving the deaths of Avalanche. Trailers show them at Shinra building too which seems to be stopping you from encountering/fighting Sephrioth early, so maybe 5 total.

The deviations all seem to be around Cloud being in the right place and time for events. So I would guess that JENOVA isn't bound by fate.

I really want to play and get to the end to see what happens, like I skipped the collesium battles to get to the pillar to help Biggs/Wedge/Jesie. It's pretty good that I feel that way for a story I've played before.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Here come the reviews.

The unfortunate truth is there’s just not enough interesting story or content to go round - and that’s coming from a self-confessed obsessive who spent north of 100 hours playing through the original not just once but twice, eking out every last easter egg, secret and collectible to be found along the way. The hit and miss attempts at fleshing out minor characters’ back stories are one thing; adding cardboard cut-out characters with uninspired side quests is extraneous in the extreme, and smacks of the developers padding out the running time once the decision to release episodically was taken.

. It swaps turn-based combat with exciting real-time action and expands the first leg of the original story by dozens of hours – including with a bit too much filler and some convoluted new plot points.

Gamespot gave it a 10/10 but we all knew that was coming considering it tries to "Artexplain" class/wealth division. (Lol Gamespot never change)

Looks like it will be a fairly divided post mortem.

And to be fair, Vorph Vorph 's favorite reviewer.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Here come the reviews.

Gamespot gave it a 10/10 but we all knew that was coming considering it tries to "Artexplain" class/wealth division. (Lol Gamespot never change)

Basically when its FF7 it's amazing, when it's sidequests you got an average FF14 Zone from one of the worse expansions (Realm Reborn or Stormblood).

Just had my first WTF which I'll explain later, but I'll be talking about the wreckage physics of destroyed plates.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's been an age since I last played the original but I recall having a random encounter every five steps in some parts of the game, which was great if you wanted to max level encounters. Does that mechanic still exist because Cloud seemed to do a great deal of running there without a whole lot of anything happening?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Here come the reviews.

87/100 metacritic if we are going by retarded game reviewers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
It's been an age since I last played the original but I recall having a random encounter every five steps in some parts of the game, which was great if you wanted to max level encounters. Does that mechanic still exist because Cloud seemed to do a great deal of running there without a whole lot of anything happening?

In the ACG review it talks a lot about running/travel sinks where those random encounters are not really there. All business complaints aside and I am going to spare Quaid Quaid and Chris Chris that stuff for ever, point has been beaten (Even I admit that) those textures.....

I knew the textures were shit in the demo, but I thought since they were so bad it was being patched on launch day. Sounds like that is not the case. 4k means literally nothing if you are upscaling 720p texture assets. I am glad the ACG review touched on that. And the ACG review goes into the pad. Some decent world building, but the side characters and everything else that was touted as making the world all fleshed out and "explore this" is greeted by some horrid character graphical settings, voice acting, and lip sync issues. I am guessing this is where the delays came. Rushed additions.

The fact of the matter is Witcher 3 and it's side quests/DLC have spoiled me. Seeing that amount of effort put into a game from a smaller (Used to be anyway) company that got it right shows the real difference between one dependent factor: Stop Starts. FF7 Remake was poorly managed, farmed out, and then brought back in house, and to meet financial obligations, a delay to copy paste random meaningless filler into a game and out the door it goes. Games like Witcher 3, a delay meant quality content, adding as much creative and well written content to play through as they could, and the end result was a financial windfall.

If anything we can see the two polar opposites of development styles - and the latter is what pays off in the end so I wish the industry would take notice.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Am still gonna play it but damn, why did Square Enix have to do this? They should of just remade the story from the original. The next game could easily be called Final Fantasy VII Remake Dream Drop Distance 365/days Hearts.

• 2Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I’m undecided, I watched a few reviews and nothing really surprised me in them. It looks honestly like a good game with some side quest filler which is par for the course for rpg games, Witcher 3 being one exception and not the norm. It looks like 30-40 of content which is decent even if some is padding.

It was never my intent to get it at release since we don’t know if they’ll ever finish it, and how progress will carry over between games and possibly console generation. That said, the world is shit right now, been out of work for 2 weeks so far, with another 4 weeks at least still to come puts me in a position where I have tons of unexpected free time. I have a few things to play and some shows to watch but at this any new games that is good is welcome...so I will most likely get it. Square-Enix can thank the coronavirus for this sale.

• 1Dislike

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Decided not to buy this.

Not going to ruin my illusion that FF7 was a perfect game by playing a remake which is going to be worse then the original.

They had one chance to remake an epic game, it took them 23 years to release a 1st part, and that part is obviously not anywhere up to the standards the original was.

Filler content which lowers the overall quality? Check
Non-original combat system? Check
RMT-DLC? Check
Episodic with no guarantees on when the rest comes out? Check

Besides content and mechanics, the original was an innovation when it came to technology.

The remake doesn't seem to improve on any of the virtues of the original. Even the graphics are pretty meh. They certainly don't compare to the quality of the original, when looking at each game in its time.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
It looks honestly like a good game with some side quest filler which is par for the course for rpg games, Witcher 3 being one exception and not the norm.

The original FF7 was also exceptional and far above the norm.

They remade it into something you state you'll buy due to COVID.

Please reconsider.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
Part 4 of my chapter by chapter review.

Just started Shinra Building on 28.5 hours. I've heard that Shinra Building is 10 hours and I skipped a few sidequests. 40 hours looking likely.

Pretty sure I've miscounted chapters but oh well...

Chapter 15: Sidequests
Starts off with going to Aerith's moms house for flashbacks through Sector 6 with crying refugees everywhere. It's pretty good.

Then you go back into the Sector 7 Slums ruins and my WTF was you can't see any plate wreckage, the place is just fucked up from random rubble and unrecognizable, but it's like the actual plate despawned lol

Wedge's cat guides you into a secret underground Shinra Research Facility and you find unconscious Wedge somehow still alive. He ends up at Aerith's moms house still unconscious, this is kinda hinted at in the original but you never see him again after Aerith takes him there. But I was wrong saying he died, sorry guys!

The facility itself is fine and there's some science experiment people to kill who have mutated from injections. Part of it is Barret solo to get to used to his playstyle again.

Then you got 9 sidequests, I only did 6 of them. They all involve some backtracking to get you into more battles. There's a cool fight with a Behemoth and a rematch with Apps who didn't die in the sewers. I forgot to do the colesseum which I regret. One character feels like Yuffie in disguise but then a side character is revealed as her grandmother so maybe not.
2/5

Chapter 16: Plate Climb
You climb up to Shinra Building through the Sector 7 Plate wreckage. It looks amazing looking down on the ruined Sector but I can't reconcile how it looks vs how Sector 7 Slums looked earlier. Two different teams?

Lots of battles, solid chapter. There's no annoying timing a jump to a wire minigame and Heli Gunner boss was moved here from Shinra Building elevator.
4/5

I've decided that the combat is fantastic. Really enjoying it and lots of options.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The original FF7 was also exceptional and far above the norm.

They remade it into something you state you'll buy due to COVID.

Please reconsider.
Why? I mean I’m not going to get it release but that’s only because I actually still have to work so my playtime is still pretty shit and nioh 2 is going to take awhile. I had actually preordered it like 4 years ago with GCU and some coupon they had which made it like $35, but the payment method expired, you can’t update payment info online, and I don’t care enough to try to actually call them so I’m reasonably certain it won’t ship.

If I wasn’t working I would definitely get it though. People have a lot of free time right now and some are consuming more game content than they normally would, doesn’t mean everything they wouldn’t normally get is bad

Chris

Potato del Grande
When people say they are disappointed and not buying, are they comparing it to other games or their dream version of this game?

It's objectively better than anything since FF10. It's better than Metal Gear Solid 5 which I played a few months ago for the first time.

However I've not played things like Skyrim or Witcher.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
When people say they are disappointed and not buying, are they comparing it to other games or their dream version of this game?

It's objectively better than anything since FF10. It's better than Metal Gear Solid 5 which I played a few months ago for the first time.

However I've not played things like Skyrim or Witcher.

I think its pretty objective to state this game doesn't meet the standards set by the original.

Unsure what you are doing here if you haven't played TW:3.

Please set your priorities straight and let me know when you have a Gwent addiction.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think its pretty objective to state this game doesn't meet the standards set by the original.
Visuals and Combat are far better than the original. Music is sometimes better sometimes worse.

Story is the same, just with modern techniques. The ending I'll have to let you know about.

Sidequests are meh for me, but you can just skip all but one of them the three times you are in a sidequest section. Just don't do them.

Playtime is going to be half of the original though. It's not in a bad state at all, it's very high quality. It just depends on how much of an issue the 35-40 hours playtime is for you.

• 1Dislike

spronk

FPS noob
40 hours is a shit load, I honestly expected a 6-10 hour game. I have the deluxe edition pre ordered and will probably play. Was debating cancelling.

Really nice thing about getting physical right now is you can almost certainly resell it for basically what you paid (or even a profit) a few weeks later since inventory numbers are really low. Deluxe is pretty much sold out everywhere. Hell, I could probably sell a (sealed) deluxe copy at launch for twice what I paid and then just buy digital.

• 1Dislike

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I’m willing to set aside the fact that this is not at all what I wanted in a remake of the original. I don’t expect it to be as good as the original was, given the time it was originally released. If it’s a good game with a decent amount of content and I have the time to play it, I’d get it.

For good amount of content, I’d say the threshold for me is 30 hours, with anything lower than 25 or so requiring the game to be excellent in most other aspects.

Most of the complaints I’ve seen so far are:
Don’t like the active combat
Story isn’t exactly the same, has an extra story layer on top
Not enough content/filler content is bad
Episodic nature of the game.
Some bad textures in areas.
Voice acting of some characters

First two are subjective, and the others are up to the individual how much they matter (but almost everyone would rate them as a negative).

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Visuals and Combat are far better than the original. Music is sometimes better sometimes worse.

Story is the same, just with modern techniques. The ending I'll have to let you know about.

Sidequests are meh for me, but you can just skip all but one of them the three times you are in a sidequest section. Just don't do them.

Playtime is going to be half of the original though. It's not in a bad state at all, it's very high quality. It just depends on how much of an issue the 35-40 hours playtime is for you.

Please go play TW:3.

I really appreciate your advice in the FFRK thread, you should take mine on this.

• 3Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand why its so important to be proven right or wrong on a game, or whether or not its "stupid" to buy a game or not.

I mean, I often buy $150 versions of NISA and Atlus games that are niche and anime fanservice, and have no regrets. I have more dakis than one can imagine! Why is it so important to you how I enjoy my games?

Just let people buy what they wanna buy, damn.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 2Faggotry
Reactions: 7 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't understand why its so important to be proven right or wrong on a game, or whether or not its "stupid" to buy a game or not.

I mean, I often buy $150 versions of NISA and Atlus games that are niche and anime fanservice, and have no regrets. I have more dakis than one can imagine! Why is it so important to you how I enjoy my games?

Just let people buy what they wanna buy, damn.

It's the internet, being right is winning this game.

• 2Like